cstef
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 5

CW-Rotary

Post by cstef »

Hot, ha?
bet you all got the letter!
I think this is worth some discussion and a hand to CW.
Chris
C3SSK,C4SST,C5AKK,C5AWT,C6LE5,
Stowa Seatime Blue, STOWA PRODIVER LIMETTE,
Stowa MO, Steinhart Aviation Automatik; JS Watch-Islandus; Aristo Sextant; Dievas Diver;
Vostok Europe Exp 06;
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Re: CW-Rotary

Post by MorrisOx »

I've got a 1950s Rotary in my collection, and it is a real beauty.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for what they churn out these days.

If I was Chris, I wouldn't want to be mentioned in the same breath.
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Nav B Chrono II
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
Longines Master Chrono Moonphase
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Way to go Chris.....go get them.... we are with you.....I have called out the troops :mod:

:pal: :barb: :kettensaege: :laserschwert: :devil: :jump2: :aufsmaul: :fluch: :löl:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

If you take a look at the Rotary catalogu its a bit like one of those replica sites, Homages everywhere!! :D

It's more of a compliment than anything else though.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
cstef
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by cstef »

Yeah, I really enjoyed Chris' reply; absolutely stunning in art of defending by attack....
me being Rotary would be quite ashamed.....to say the least!
C
Stowa MO, Steinhart Aviation Automatik; JS Watch-Islandus; Aristo Sextant; Dievas Diver;
Vostok Europe Exp 06;
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

:? :ka:
ahavriluk
CW-watches: 1

Post by ahavriluk »

Maybe I miss something, but I don't see a lot of similarities between those watches. The D9SWS Encore Diamond has Roman numbers, lack of second dial and the dial is different. If it was exact copy, I would start worrying.

However, CW's Miro watch looks almost identical to Movado and C5 Malvern is very similar to IWC Portofino.

At Chris's place I wouldn't worry to much about competition and sending them open letters each time he sees a similar model. Lately, I looked at many watches from different brands, and I could find many similar models. So what?

I think Chris should focus more on what he is doing good right now, expanding his brand, marketing, make watch purchase more personal and creating better experience for customers. For example, the watch could be set to customer's time when it arrives. Very little thing, but I am sure any customer will be pleased, especially, if it gets shipped to another part of the world. Also, make stuff wear gloves when they pack the product.

PS. Reading the letter didn't make me feel good about Chris. I was rather upset to read it. The language, bashing the other brand, the approach he used... very low class. I wouldn't be surprised if they trash it and wouldn't take it seriously. Have some dignity, man. If your design gets copied (which I didn't see here) that means you are doing something good.
Best regards,
Oleksandr
John
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by John »

In my opinion this is a bad way to advertise.
Chris should do some better things then this sort of advertisement.
The best advertisement is to be better then the rest.
Better watches and better prices, that´s what makes sense.

There are thousands of look-a-likes in the watch branche.

And isn´t the Malvern C5 an IWC portofino look-a-like?
And the Aviator a look-a-like of the IWC Spitfire Mark XVI?

Did IWC sent a letter like this to CW?, I don´t think so.
cstef
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by cstef »

I do not think that is the point at all.
looking alike and copying and using absurd high and prices is something else.
Aviator looks alike IWC but by no means wants to be IWC and also states this through the all round slogan: quality for ordinary buyers
Rotary does the other way round: uses name, lower quality stuff and adds high end price.
Now let people judge for themselves if this is nice...or just ignorant.
Chris
Vostok Europe Exp 06;
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

I'm in two minds about it to be honest. On the one hand, yep, they appear to be "paying homage", but at the same time I think CW needs his house in order (re deliveries/delays/customer service) first before firing pot shots at other companies.

Also, the C2 is very similar to some Rolex DateJust models (the day part aside) so I wouldn't exactly want to make a point of others copying you. These sort of things happen in the watch world, I mean, jeez - how many people have near identical pilot style watches?
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Dodgy ground in my opinion, and a waste of time and effort that could best be diverted elsewhere.
Neither watch looks much like the CW's referenced...as ahavriluk pointed out earlier.
As ctafield says 'Also, the C2 is very similar to some Rolex DateJust models (the day part aside) so I wouldn't exactly want to make a point of others copying you. These sort of things happen in the watch world, I mean, jeez - how many people have near identical pilot style watches?'

The watch world is chock full of 'homages' and the like.....after all, a great design is going to produce lookalikes from other watchmakers to a degree. The point is that Chris should continue to do what he does well and that is to produce well designed,top quality watches at a good price that we, his customers, will continue to buy. Let Rotary produce what they will.....those of us with any nouse won't go near tat anyway.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I tend to disagree it appears with most of you regarding this ad.

I think CWL has taken the opportunity to do some comparison advertising. Chris has jumped on this I think because of the model names and similarities to his own line. Comparison advertising is done in the USA every day. It is an opportunity to use your competitors advertising to show how well you stack up and to put forth your advantages. The items don't have to be the same, but only similar, as in this case. They are close enough to compare..and Chris has done just that.

He is not attacking Rotary, but in my view is actually poking fun at them. He is clearly pointing out to the consumer at the same time why one should look at his product before buying theirs.

If these are homage pieces they (Rotary) should say so. Chris usually states when he has done so ie. C1..C5 aviator.

That being said... ctafield is correct that the C2 is similar to a Rolex. These things do happen all the time and will continue to happen wether a homage piece or not. Imitation is a form of flattery and I think Chris has done well with this advertisement. He has chosen his words carefully and led with their product.

Yes there are other issues in CWL to be dealt with but that doesn't mean that all advertising and marketing come to a halt, or anything else for that matter.

Just my opinion.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ahavriluk

Post by ahavriluk »

In my opinion, comparison advertising is a nasty thing to do. Just look at the last presidential campaign in USA. Makes me sick, I am glad it is over. I haven't seen a lot of comparison ads between high end brands. Only from low level brands. Why? Maybe they don't know anything else to do just to compare themselves to competition. In my opinion, do what you do at your best and let customers decide. They are not stupid.
Best regards,
Oleksandr
Lamps
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lamps »

Rotary have pulled a fast one, but look at it like this.

If you(your average Joe Egg) bought the love of your life a CWL Divive for £350 or a Rotary For £749, which do you think she will be more impressed with?
ahavriluk

Post by ahavriluk »

lamppo_the_GasFitter wrote:Rotary have pulled a fast one, but look at it like this.

If you(your average Joe Egg) bought the love of your life a CWL Divive for £350 or a Rotary For £749, which do you think she will be more impressed with?
CWL Divine is a stunning watch. I really love it. I would like to give one to my wife some day.
Best regards,
Oleksandr