Buying on ebay - tips for a dummy

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Buying on ebay - tips for a dummy

Post by Timishere »

Evening all,

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a CW watch on ebay.

Can I shamelessly ask if anyone has any expert tips or "watch outs" as I've never bought anything for more than about twenty quid from a private seller before! Just want to make sure I have asked everything I should be asking and done everything I should be doing!

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Re: Buying on ebay - tips for a dummy

Post by Lawrence »

Don't over think it, check the sellers feedback and if it's significant and positive then there should be no issues. Ask questions before you buy and be aware it's not really a platform that does after sale care or refunds/returns.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

Lawrence wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 pm Don't over think it, check the sellers feedback and if it's significant and positive then there should be no issues. Ask questions before you buy and be aware it's not really a platform that does after sale care or refunds/returns.
Thanks Lawrence, appreciated. So if something arrives broken or not as described, it's your problem. Unfortunately I am a 'worrier' by nature so I tend to overthink (everything).
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Avoid listings which just copy/paste information from the manufacturer’s website - if the seller can’t be bothered to write their own listing in their own words or take their own photos, I see that as a red flag. Look for good, clear pictures of the actual item (blurred photos are either sloppy or hiding something). Ask if there is paperwork, and request pictures. If it smells bad, walk away, there will be other chances.

Seller feedback is crucial, and pay by PayPal G&S.

I’ve been lucky, but I’ve always been careful.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think genuine sellers will be (or at least should be) open and responsive. For example many listings don't show the warranty card or the watch serial number. I don't understand why that should be a secret, and not be divulged to a truly interested buyer.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Ask a few questions, one of my favourites is ‘can I view the watch?’ If you are not satisfied with any of the answers walk away :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Rule #1 - Buy the Seller not the watch.

Otherwise as per advice from Wyatt;-
0uatiOW wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:49 pm Avoid listings which just copy/paste information from the manufacturer’s website - if the seller can’t be bothered to write their own listing in their own words or take their own photos, I see that as a red flag. Look for good, clear pictures of the actual item (blurred photos are either sloppy or hiding something). Ask if there is paperwork, and request pictures. If it smells bad, walk away, there will be other chances.

Seller feedback is crucial, and pay by PayPal G&S.

I’ve been lucky, but I’ve always been careful.
Additionally, do your research on the item you want to buy, set yourself a limit as to how much you want to pay and don't exceed it!

Good luck.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

I don’t actually necessarily agree with the copy & paste comments above. Sometimes it is easier to do that when selling something eg a long list of specifications. That said it is nice to see some spiel from the seller that is self written.
A photo of the actual watch is important but don’t be put off if it is mixed in with manufacturer shots as some people are just not that good at photos.
Check the feedback. It will give you a feel for the seller. If there is a negative then don’t necessarily be put off….look to see what it was and why it was a negative. Some people leave really daft negative comments.
Ask a question or two via messaging. You often get a feel for the other person when you chat to them. This works both ways. As a seller you can get a sense of a potential buyer.
If it turns up damaged or wrong you can simply place a returns claim with EBay who almost always side with the buyer. If you pay using PayPal (which is no longer owned by EBay) then you have the option to claim via them as well. Buyers are very well protected.
Most importantly,if you don’t feel comfortable with it then don’t do it.
These users thanked the author village for the post:
tikkathree
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

One other piece of specific advice, check ebay past sales for the item (or as close as you can get to it) when calculating what you should be paying - you can select this as a criterion when you do a search under "show only". You may be very surprised at what things actually sell for vs what sellers ask! The archive here is also very useful.

Good hunting!
These users thanked the author H0rati0 for the post:
tikkathree
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

One additional thought. There really are occasional bargains to be had. Clearly every deal is between a willing seller and buyer, and not always the result of late night alcohol, but there there some deals that seem to me to represent excellent value. (not just watch related)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Some good advice here. I would add (as with everything) do your research. I've recently seen an item sold on eBay for £34 + p&p that can be bought direct from the company for £10. So basically, as with any auction. know the value and set your limit.
It's come up on the forum - some people have VERY different ideas of what "new" means. There is currently a Seiko Alpinist described as "brand new/new with tags" that has apparently "always been worn with a NATO!" So yes, ask questions.
Otherwise, go for it. I've bought lots of things off eBay including watches and had very few problems. It's very easy to get a refund, but always use PayPal - it helps. Personally I would avoid sellers that won't use PayPal, but I may just be overcautious.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
undetterred
Senior
Senior

Post by undetterred »

Timishere wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 pm
Lawrence wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 pm Don't over think it, check the sellers feedback and if it's significant and positive then there should be no issues. Ask questions before you buy and be aware it's not really a platform that does after sale care or refunds/returns.
Thanks Lawrence, appreciated. So if something arrives broken or not as described, it's your problem. Unfortunately I am a 'worrier' by nature so I tend to overthink (everything).

Given your attitude to risk, personally I'd avoid eBay, check the sales section in here,and keeps an eye out for online sales at CW
Steinhart Ocean 39 vintage red/blue ceramic,Olko edition
C65 Super comp
C60 Trident Pro
C60 Blue LE
Omega Seamaster 300m
Longines Admiral Chronograph
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but many ebay sellers drop-ship from Amazon - so always check Amazon before you buy on ebay. Not necessarily as relevant for watch purchases, but for cheaper stuff.

We've had it a few times where we have bought on ebay and Amazon Prime delivers the following day. :lol:
I'm sure this is breaking some sort of privacy law, but many sellers do it and if challenged, they say 'we ran out of stock'. [-X
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

what-time-is-it wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 pm Not sure if it's been mentioned, but many ebay sellers drop-ship from Amazon - so always check Amazon before you buy on ebay. Not necessarily as relevant for watch purchases, but for cheaper stuff.

We've had it a few times where we have bought on ebay and Amazon Prime delivers the following day. :lol:
I'm sure this is breaking some sort of privacy law, but many sellers do it and if challenged, they say 'we ran out of stock'. [-X
Wow. So these eBay sellers are just straight reselling amazon products and taking a small margin. That is genius as no doubt they hoover up some sales for buyers who didn't check amazon. I used to work at amazon and I'm not even sure that would be against the rules particularly?
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

undetterred wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:42 pm
Timishere wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 pm

Given your attitude to risk, personally I'd avoid eBay, check the sales section in here,and keeps an eye out for online sales at CW
I think you might be right! I think I may need to relax a bit of I want to get into collecting watches with any pre-owned elements. Mind you, I don't particularly trust the ADs or boutiques so maybe I just need therapy.