Watch running slow…question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: Watch running slow…question

Post by MiniMpi »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:18 pm Looks like it’s only running 10 seconds slow per day. I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention to how much the time was drifting from day to day. I thought it had drifted considerably over a relatively short period if time. Guess not.

And John, thanks for the recommendation about magnetization. I’d have followed up on that if my suspicion had been correct.
Hi Andrew,

Maybe try placing it in different positions at night when it's resting as you could gain back the 10 seconds potentially.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Back to slow…

I’m pleased to report that my Sealander GMT, after two weeks of running, seems to have settled in at around -1 s/d. It seems to lose that on the wrist during the day and then remains pretty stable dial up at night. If it performs no worse than that I shall be extremely happy. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s nothing! I once set my watch to the wrong HOUR mark! Thankfully it was a weekend and I caught it quickly.
Drew
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I'd try what Ferg suggests if you haven't already. I've a watch that pretty much maintains zero if I sit it dial up when I'm not wearing it. Not that it deviates much in other positions but it's definitely it's sweet spot.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34 am That’s nothing! I once set my watch to the wrong HOUR mark! Thankfully it was a weekend and I caught it quickly.
It's easily done. It comes right again when the clocks change. (possibly)
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

I think -10s/d is within the specs for this model. But I would suggest you wear your C65 AM GT Chrono if you’re at school. In my case, all my CW auto watches run incredibly impressive +-1s/d except my C65 SH21. It never runs within the COSC specs. Always has a loss -6s/day.
My small CW collection:
|C20 Lido|C65 GMT|C7 Auto|C60 MKII Bronze|C65 Auto|C60 MKIII GMT|C65 SH21 LE|C65 AM GT LE
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34 am That’s nothing! I once set my watch to the wrong HOUR mark! Thankfully it was a weekend and I caught it quickly.
I make that same mistake frequently. It's really annoying after spending ten minutes to get the second hand to be in perfect sync with the atomic clock app.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
ChrisMin

Post by ChrisMin »

I have just returned my C60 Trident Pro COSC Limited Edition for the third time due to it running erratically slow. It was regularly losing 2 minutes plus a day but last week I put it on in the morning after synchronising it with my iPhone. A couple of hours later I looked at it and it had lost 20 minutes. I was rather alarmed so took it off to give it a wind and the crown felt distinctly odd. It felt like something was slipping/grinding as I would it. Later on the same day it had lost another 5 minutes but the winding felt smoother. I have corresponded with Customer Service who have obviously expressed their apologies and have assured me that the watch will be inspected and a report sent to me. They have indicated that, given it is almost 4 years old, it may require a service. I must admit that I find this rather irritating as it feels like a convenient excuse and a way of relieving me of cash. I await their initial verdict with interest but at the moment I am extremely disgruntled. I feel that three issues in the first 4 years of ownership, on a watch that cost just short of £1,000 is stretching things.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

MiniMpi wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:17 am Hi Andrew,

Maybe try placing it in different positions at night when it's resting as you could gain back the 10 seconds potentially.
How did I missed this comment, Ferg?

This is precisely what I did prior to getting a watch box! I used to make a point of adjusting how I set the watch down at night based on how much it was gaining or losing. When the watch box arrived, I started putting it on the cushion in the watch box each night. Maybe I need to rethink that. :lol: :lol:
Drew
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

ChrisMin wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:33 pm I have just returned my C60 Trident Pro COSC Limited Edition for the third time due to it running erratically slow. It was regularly losing 2 minutes plus a day but last week I put it on in the morning after synchronising it with my iPhone. A couple of hours later I looked at it and it had lost 20 minutes. I was rather alarmed so took it off to give it a wind and the crown felt distinctly odd. It felt like something was slipping/grinding as I would it. Later on the same day it had lost another 5 minutes but the winding felt smoother. I have corresponded with Customer Service who have obviously expressed their apologies and have assured me that the watch will be inspected and a report sent to me. They have indicated that, given it is almost 4 years old, it may require a service. I must admit that I find this rather irritating as it feels like a convenient excuse and a way of relieving me of cash. I await their initial verdict with interest but at the moment I am extremely disgruntled. I feel that three issues in the first 4 years of ownership, on a watch that cost just short of £1,000 is stretching things.
If you have had the watch around 4 years but under 5 you should hopefully still be covered under your original warranty. It is my understanding that it was around the time of the Trident Mk3 in May 2019 that the wording in the handbook changed to include reference to not covering the cost of repair under warranty if a service had not taken place at the recommended interval. Before then it was just a recommendation so if you have your handbook check what that says. Just because they don't offer a 'real' 60 month warranty without additional cost to new customers now doesn't mean that new rule applies to you.

Hopefully they won't try and charge you anyway, but it might be the case that they stick to some auto-script before accepting what they should have done in the first place - seems more common at the moment unfortunately.