Watch running slow…question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Watch running slow…question

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve got the distinct impression my C65 Trident Vintage is running unusually slow of late. I’ve just downloaded the Toolwatch app to check its accuracy.

Here’s my question. How slow is too slow?

And follow up question, if it’s slow enough that it might warrant being looked at, should I bother sending it back to CW (I’m in the US remember) if the warranty expires in November anyway? Might it just be more practical to find someone local to service it?

And follow up to the follow up - how does one go about finding someone reputable?
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Watch running slow…question

Post by JAFO »

I thought the movement standard was around 20secs. If it's changing over time though, it might be worth discussing with customer services to see what they think.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ if it’s running at more than -20 S/D then in theory it’s too slow because it is outside specs. Monitor it for a while and see what happens, but I would think that as it’s coming up for five years old you might consider cutting your losses and getting someone local to service it. It will save all the to-ing and fro-ing across the pond. I think these movements are quite easy for a skilled watchmaker to work on. They are very much standard within the industry.

I’ve never used an app of any description. I synchronise a watch with my RC alarm clock in the bedroom and check it against time.is every so often.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

In my limited experience with Seiko movements, if the watch goes from running -10 spd to more than -30 spd it was from a movement going bad. (I used this example because I had 2 different Seikos ggo bad in the same month).

Fortunately, I have a watchmaker 20 minutes from home who identified these issues for me.

If you've got a month or two left on your warranty, why not send it back. In the worst case you pay to have it serviced ( which it may need anyhow), and in the best case, your watch comes back running to your expectations for no charge.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:23 pm I’ve got the distinct impression my C65 Trident Vintage is running unusually slow of late. I’ve just downloaded the Toolwatch app to check its accuracy.

Here’s my question. How slow is too slow?

And follow up question, if it’s slow enough that it might warrant being looked at, should I bother sending it back to CW (I’m in the US remember) if the warranty expires in November anyway? Might it just be more practical to find someone local to service it?

And follow up to the follow up - how does one go about finding someone reputable?
Before you do anything, you might consider checking for magnetization. That's usually the culprit when my watches start running slow or fast.
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Looks like it’s only running 10 seconds slow per day. I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention to how much the time was drifting from day to day. I thought it had drifted considerably over a relatively short period if time. Guess not.

And John, thanks for the recommendation about magnetization. I’d have followed up on that if my suspicion had been correct.
Drew
MikeyT100
Senior
Senior

Post by MikeyT100 »

It's all a bit subjective. If you're a one watch person, 10 seconds might annoy you after a week or so. If the watch is part of a rotating collection where you time set and wind a watch to wear, you won't notice it. Relates to the debates about whether to service or not and at what price point it's worth it etc!
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

10 seconds is probably annoying, as it's just pot luck, and others get rather better. However in itself 10 seconds should be acceptable for a movement not claimed to offer better. It's easy to get a little spoilt, I think.

If you set it before you go out for the evening, it's only going to be a couple of seconds off by bed time.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Might I make a further suggestion, Andrew?

If it turns out that the rate of your watch is consistent at around -10 S/D, then you might do in reverse what I do with my Speedy. It gains between 8 and 9 seconds per day – always has – so if I’m going to wear it for a period of time and keep it running I will set it 30 seconds slow. That means it can stay in the zone I’m reasonably happy with for the whole week, and then I can just take it back by a minute.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:09 pm Might I make a further suggestion, Andrew?

If it turns out that the rate of your watch is consistent at around -10 S/D, then you might do in reverse what I do with my Speedy. It gains between 8 and 9 seconds per day – always has – so if I’m going to wear it for a period of time and keep it running I will set it 30 seconds slow. That means it can stay in the zone I’m reasonably happy with for the whole week, and then I can just take it back by a minute.
I recall you mentioning this in other threads. That’s a great idea. Perhaps I’ll set it 30 seconds fast so that it’s in an acceptable range over the week. I notice when it’s lost a minute because my watch is out of sync with the bells at school. That one minute can make a difference if I’m in the middle of a brilliant point in class! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drew
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Double post :?
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

At 10 seconds per day slow I reckon you should just set it an hour and minute fast and then in a years time it'll be almost bang on perfect time. In two years time you'll be an hour and a minute slow. You'll only need to set the time once every two years 😁

You don't need to thank me
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:18 pm Looks like it’s only running 10 seconds slow per day.
I wouldn’t be worried about that, my concern is with my brain keeping in time. Yesterday I wore my C60 #tide for the first time. On checking it’s accuracy at the end of the day I found that it read 5 minutes fast. No guessing what I had done.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia

Richard D wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:49 am Yesterday I wore my C60 #tide for the first time. On checking it’s accuracy at the end of the day I found that it read 5 minutes fast. No guessing what I had done.
No need to guess. I did exactly the same a few weeks back – inadvertently set my watch to the wrong five-minute mark. Easily done. 8)
Steve

MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:02 am
Richard D wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:49 am Yesterday I wore my C60 #tide for the first time. On checking it’s accuracy at the end of the day I found that it read 5 minutes fast. No guessing what I had done.
No need to guess. I did exactly the same a few weeks back – inadvertently set my watch to the wrong five-minute mark. Easily done. 8)
A regular Ferg thing also sadly......