C60 Anthropocene bidirectional bezel?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: C60 Anthropocene bidirectional bezel?

Post by JAFO »

Watch Reviews 4K wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:31 pm
JAFO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:22 pm Well I thought I knew what the tag meant.

I was surprised to see the paid promotion against the CW watches, so I looked at more of the reviews, and it seemed to be ever-present. I was stunned to see it against the Tudor and the Rolex reviews. I wondered what the paid promotion might have been, and whether the producer would advise us. With most watch reviewers it seems to be "don't return it", but given the content of this thread that would have been a surprise. ie - the watch wasn't returned. It would have been something else if Rolex were giving free samples.
I have already answered this; but I will copy and paste it here again to save you having to search the thread for it.
Unlike many watch channels I have a policy of not accepting; Paypal, and Patreon donations from my viewers. I make no secret of the fact my channels revenue comes from; Google AdSense payments, and payments from brands.
Yes, I am gifted watches by brands, paid by brands, or both.
Hence the "Includes Paid Promotion" message at the start of every video in the top left of the screen; to make it clear to the viewer.
It is one of the T & C's in YouTube's partner agreement that content creators disclose paid promotions to viewers via this message.
With regards to the deals I do with brands, and the figures; that is private between the brands and I; which is standard procedure with the watch industry.
In some cases partnership contracts have been signed between the brand and I; which are legally binding. For example one of the clauses will state the T & C's of the contract are to be kept private, and not publicly disclosed; therefore I am legally not allowed to reveal these.
Thank you for watching.
Regards, #WR4K
Well, thanks for replying to my posts. I am surprised that every watch you discuss necessarily involved some sort of recompense. (As I noted, particularly watches from the Rolex group), and maybe you just include a generic disclaimer with every review. As you say it's your own business in both senses of the phrase. :)
Watch Reviews 4K

Post by Watch Reviews 4K »

JAFO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 pm Well, thanks for replying to my posts. I am surprised that every watch you discuss necessarily involved some sort of recompense. (As I noted, particularly watches from the Rolex group), and maybe you just include a generic disclaimer with every review. As you say it's your own business in both senses of the phrase. :)
When I started my channel in February 2020 I used to purchase watches from Amazon, and AliExpress using my own funds. After reviewing them I would then sell them on eBay at a loss. That is not a sustainable business model.
My channel then grew, and AliExpress resellers started offering to gift me pieces for review. Brands also began loaning me pieces for review.
My channel then had a sustainable business model as I was no longer having to purchase watches from my own funds in order to make fresh content.
My channel continued to grow, and brands began to gift me watches, rather than loaning them. Brands also began to pay me. Some brands gifted me watches and paid me.
I produced 167 videos in 18 months. My channel grew to 83K subscribers, and over 1.77M views.
It became monetised with Google AdSense revenue within 28 days from the start; so I have earned AdSense revenue on the 1.77M million views; in addition to the revenue of brand payments, and the revenue from selling gifted watches received.
Rolex SA Geneva do not gift watches to YouTube watch channels. They make novelties available when released to press; but these are dummy watches without movements.
Yes, I receive brand new 2021 Rolex, Tudor, Omega, etc; but these are from a grey dealer; not directly from the brands.
The majority of watch channels stay at the level of being an amateur hobby, with the reviewer continuing to use the aforementioned unsustainable business model.
Some channels are able to make the transition from amateur hobby to professional business, as I have done in the last 18 months.
Regards, Watch Reviews 4K
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quotation tidied up
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Watch Reviews 4K wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:43 pm The viewers perspective, and the content creators perspective are different. I used to have a viewers perspective, then I started my own watch channel and became privy to information about how the watch industry works; information that the viewer is not privy to.
YouTube is a marketing platform which brands use to market their product using influencers directly to their target customer. The viewer often mistakenly thinks the purpose of the platform is to entertain them; rather than market products to them. That is the reality.
"I’ve generally started ignoring online watch reviews as actual reviews because they all come off as simply commercials for the watch"
Correct, the content you are watching is an online ad for the watch.
Try to appreciate the position a content creator is in. If one gives a positive review of a piece, one is accused of being a paid shill for the brand. If one gives a negative review of a piece, one is accused of being biased against the brand. So you see regardless of what kind of review one gives, one receives criticism from viewers.
Also consider you are getting to watch content free. You are not paying a subscription like Netflix. The Google AdSense revenue is negligible for the content creator; so of course they need alternative revenue, such as brand payments, or gifted watches.
Naturally if a content creator gives a negative review, the brand then cuts them off; no more payments, no more gifted watches.
Hence why one will see so many positive reviews, as it benefits the content creator to keep the revenue supply going.
That is the reality of how the watch industry works.
That might be the most patronizing thing I’ve ever read on this forum. I’m sure you’re picking up new fans right and left with your posts on this thread. Keep up the good work.

And based on your reply, I’d say you’re NOT a content creator at all. Your videos aren’t content, they’re commercials.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Drew
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂^ if you wasn’t so CW biased I bet a Million dollars you wouldn’t make the above comment.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
FloridaPhil
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I have watched this thread from afar and found it amusing. It has gone back and forth a bit like the bidirectional bezel or, wait, is that unidirectional bezel of its subject matter. Now we are addressing the subject matter of how watch reviews are monetised, and how the watch buying public are a lesser informed species than their watch reviewing counterparts. So, with regard to Watch Reviews 4K, I am not sure if this name refers to the definition the reviews are filmed in or the minimum fee chargeable to a brand for a favourable review?

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I wonder if we can get the mods to change the new “thanks” function to “influenced,” that way we can let the influencers know when we’ve been influenced by them?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Drew
Watch Reviews 4K

strapline wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:55 am I have watched this thread from afar and found it amusing. It has gone back and forth a bit like the bidirectional bezel or, wait, is that unidirectional bezel of its subject matter. Now we are addressing the subject matter of how watch reviews are monetised, and how the watch buying public are a lesser informed species than their watch reviewing counterparts. So, with regard to Watch Reviews 4K, I am not sure if this name refers to the definition the reviews are filmed in or the minimum fee chargeable to a brand for a favourable review?

Des
"So, with regard to Watch Reviews 4K, I am not sure if this name refers to the definition the reviews are filmed in or the minimum fee chargeable to a brand for a favourable review?"

I will clear up your uncertainty. Watch Reviews 4K means; watch reviews in 4K. Out of respect to those that have shown me respect in their posts; I have replied to their questions giving an insight into the reality of how the watch industry works, brands using YouTube as a marketing platform via influencers to market their product directly to their target customers.
I have detailed why I am unable to detail the T & C's of deals I do with brands, and the figures. That is standard procedure within the watch industry.
No, I am not paid 4K Euro per review.
Trying to be sarcastic, and failing; is just showing yourself up here, not me.
Watch Reviews 4K

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:53 am I wonder if we can get the mods to change the new “thanks” function to “influenced,” that way we can let the influencers know when we’ve been influenced by them?
Unnecessary. My channel analytics shows an increase in views of my 9 Christopher Ward reviews since this thread was created. The thread has influenced more people to click on my videos. I am not on here to gain "thanks".
Regards, #WR4K
These users thanked the author Watch Reviews 4K for the post:
ajax87
Watch Reviews 4K

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:30 amThat might be the most patronizing thing I’ve ever read on this forum. I’m sure you’re picking up new fans right and left with your posts on this thread. Keep up the good work.

And based on your reply, I’d say you’re NOT a content creator at all. Your videos aren’t content, they’re commercials.

The most patronising thing I read was someone accusing me of mistaking a bidirectional bezel for a unidirectional one.
They then accused me of not doing enough to demonstrate visually that the unidirectional bezel did not rotate clockwise.
You are mistaken, all videos on YouTube are content. My content is watch reviews in 4K.
Yes, my reviews help brands market their products to their target customers.
My reviews are also informative, and discuss the positive and negatives of watches objectively.
jkbarnes wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:30 am "I’m sure you’re picking up new fans right and left with your posts on this thread"

From February 2020 to present my channel has gained 83K subscribers. My channel growth is not dependant on a thread on this forum.
Yes, since this thread my 9 Christopher Ward reviews are gaining more views, and my channel has gained more subscribers.
Consider this, my 167 videos have gained over 1.77M views in the last 18 months.
So my content; or as you call it "commercials" may not be to your own liking; but the videos are to the liking of my 83K subscribers.
Regards, #WR4K
Last edited by Kip on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected quote position
These users thanked the author Watch Reviews 4K for the post:
golfjunky
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I have to say I found this review superb and very useful 👍
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:57 pm
Watch Reviews 4K wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 pm You tried and failed to undermine the credibility of my watch review.
You have succeeded in undermining your own credibility on this forum ironically.
That’s quite a stretch. Your overzealous defense of your review has done more to kill your credibility with me than any comment posted to this thread about it.
Well said JK Barnes!
These users thanked the author Lawrence for the post:
jkbarnes
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Watch Reviews 4K

Deks wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:57 am I have to say I found this review superb and very useful 👍
Thank you for watching. Glad you enjoyed it. Regards, Watch Reviews 4K
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Watch Reviews 4K wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:29 pm
Deks wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:57 am I have to say I found this review superb and very useful 👍
Thank you for watching. Glad you enjoyed it. Regards, Watch Reviews 4K
I'm surprised that you didn't comment on the feature that when you pull the crown to full extension and rotate the bezel three times that this moves the logo from 12 to 9....
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Candidate for thread of the year. :lol:

It has everything, a man defending his business, others arguing just because and a mob in action…

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 4):
JAFOtimor54jkbarnesDEV.Woulf
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Watch Reviews 4K

Lawrence wrote: I'm surprised that you didn't comment on the feature that when you pull the crown to full extension and rotate the bezel three times that this moves the logo from 12 to 9....
Stop embarrassing yourself. Regards, Watch Reviews 4K