C60 Anthropocene bidirectional bezel?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: C60 Anthropocene bidirectional bezel?

Post by iain »

F14CA6D8-ACFF-42E0-8B50-319E627E54FD.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
JAFObiggus_richus
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

^^^ the reviewer’s last post should smooth things over nicely 😂🤣😅
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Out of interest, I just rewatched the video in question, and then watched a few more, including a BB58 and a Rolex Milgauss, and all the ones I checked flagged "paid promotion" at the start, with no further comment about what that meant.

Could you give a bit more info on this, if you are still watching please @Watch Reviews 4K
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

Do we still do a ‘Thread of the Year’ contest? :D
Trying not to buy any more watches...
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Clach77 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:02 pm Do we still do a ‘Thread of the Year’ contest? :D
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Definitely a contender. I wonder if his sample C63 was running at -18 seconds per day? (Who gets the reference?)
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

:megaeek: :popcorn:
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:06 pm
Clach77 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:02 pm Do we still do a ‘Thread of the Year’ contest? :D
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Definitely a contender. I wonder if his sample C63 was running at -18 seconds per day? (Who gets the reference?)
Wiggles, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

JAFO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:59 pm Out of interest, I just rewatched the video in question, and then watched a few more, including a BB58 and a Rolex Milgauss, and all the ones I checked flagged "paid promotion" at the start, with no further comment about what that meant.

Could you give a bit more info on this, if you are still watching please @Watch Reviews 4K
I don't know if that was a general question but YouTube cracked down on paid content recently. If the reviewer takes payment in any form then they need the tag. This goes for direct payment or watches sent for review that do not need to be returned. In his review, I believe that he did not get to keep the watch. He either had to send it on to another reviewer or send it back to CW for the press pool. Therefore no tag. This is way more common for the guys that review at the lower end of the spectrum. Just One More Watch and Just the Watch for example show the tag and mention that they were sent the watch and don't need to give it back right at the beginning. They often get Kickstarter prototypes that won't get the tag because the watches need to be returned after the review. If you watch Bark and Jack he never has tags. He never does paid reviews and he doesn't get watches from the brands that he gets to keep.

So the tag means that there was payment in some form whether direct in the form of compensation or in the form of goods. There are still way too many channels on YouTube that are doing shady stuff under the table pushing product that is a paid promotion and not disclosing it. It happens in the watch space but it is much more prevalent on the fashion, home décor and make up channels where there is real money changing hands. Some of these channels have millions of subs. The watch channels are usually in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands if really popular. Not in the same league really.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

^^^ interesting information there!

I’ve generally started ignoring online watch reviews as actual reviews because they all come off as simply commercials for the watch, offering little more beyond what I can find in the brands own promotional material. I tune in primarily to get a good view of the watch and nothing more.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Well I thought I knew what the tag meant.

I was surprised to see the paid promotion against the CW watches, so I looked at more of the reviews, and it seemed to be ever-present. I was stunned to see it against the Tudor and the Rolex reviews. I wondered what the paid promotion might have been, and whether the producer would advise us. With most watch reviewers it seems to be "don't return it", but given the content of this thread that would have been a surprise. ie - the watch wasn't returned. It would have been something else if Rolex were giving free samples.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I would bet they are paid promotion from a local dealer not Rolex itself. The dealer loans the watch and then kicks some bucks for a mention in the video. This is pretty common too.
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:53 pm ^^^ interesting information there!

I’ve generally started ignoring online watch reviews as actual reviews because they all come off as simply commercials for the watch, offering little more beyond what I can find in the brands own promotional material. I tune in primarily to get a good view of the watch and nothing more.

I watch quite a few mostly for the entertainment value. Jody at Just One More Watch does a great job I think and is very thorough. He tends to stick to the lower end which isn't explicitly my thing but every so often he peaks my interest. I like the Mad Watch Collector. His videos are pretty funny. I like his 'What the wife said' segments. Adrian at Bark and Jack has some good thoughts but he is very Rolex heavy. Caseback Watches has a unique perspective on new releases. Unfortunately he doesn't always get hands on. There are some that I watch that are basically advertisements for the online shops and I don't mind that. I like to see the new stuff they have in. Long Island Watch is worth watching when he gets in something new. He also does good info videos called Watch and Learns. Craft and Tailored has interesting vintage pieces mostly well out of my price range.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Watch Reviews 4K

Post by Watch Reviews 4K »

JAFO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:59 pm Out of interest, I just rewatched the video in question, and then watched a few more, including a BB58 and a Rolex Milgauss, and all the ones I checked flagged "paid promotion" at the start, with no further comment about what that meant.

Unlike many watch channels I have a policy of not accepting; Paypal, and Patreon donations from my viewers. I make no secret of the fact my channels revenue comes from; Google AdSense payments, and payments from brands.
Yes, I am gifted watches by brands, paid by brands, or both.
Hence the "Includes Paid Promotion" message at the start of every video in the top left of the screen; to make it clear to the viewer.
It is one of the T & C's in YouTube's partner agreement that content creators disclose paid promotions to viewers via this message.
With regards to the deals I do with brands, and the figures; that is private between the brands and I; which is standard procedure with the watch industry.
In some cases partnership contracts have been signed between the brand and I; which are legally binding. For example one of the clauses will state the T & C's of the contract are to be kept private, and not publicly disclosed; therefore I am legally not allowed to reveal these.
Thank you for watching.
Regards, #WR4K
Watch Reviews 4K

rkovars wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:46 pm

I don't know if that was a general question but YouTube cracked down on paid content recently. If the reviewer takes payment in any form then they need the tag. This goes for direct payment or watches sent for review that do not need to be returned. In his review, I believe that he did not get to keep the watch. He either had to send it on to another reviewer or send it back to CW for the press pool. Therefore no tag. This is way more common for the guys that review at the lower end of the spectrum. Just One More Watch and Just the Watch for example show the tag and mention that they were sent the watch and don't need to give it back right at the beginning. They often get Kickstarter prototypes that won't get the tag because the watches need to be returned after the review. If you watch Bark and Jack he never has tags. He never does paid reviews and he doesn't get watches from the brands that he gets to keep.

So the tag means that there was payment in some form whether direct in the form of compensation or in the form of goods. There are still way too many channels on YouTube that are doing shady stuff under the table pushing product that is a paid promotion and not disclosing it. It happens in the watch space but it is much more prevalent on the fashion, home décor and make up channels where there is real money changing hands. Some of these channels have millions of subs. The watch channels are usually in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands if really popular. Not in the same league really.
"Therefore no tag."
You are mistaken; my C60 Anthropocene GMT review uses the "Includes Paid Promotion" message in the top left of the screen at the start.
The watch was supplied by Ideas Network; the marketing agency Christopher Ward use. I returned the watch to Ideas Network after my review.
I have reviewed 9 Christopher Ward watches. I have never been gifted a watch from the brand.
Regards, Watch Reviews 4K
Watch Reviews 4K

JAFO wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:22 pm Well I thought I knew what the tag meant.

I was surprised to see the paid promotion against the CW watches, so I looked at more of the reviews, and it seemed to be ever-present. I was stunned to see it against the Tudor and the Rolex reviews. I wondered what the paid promotion might have been, and whether the producer would advise us. With most watch reviewers it seems to be "don't return it", but given the content of this thread that would have been a surprise. ie - the watch wasn't returned. It would have been something else if Rolex were giving free samples.
I have already answered this; but I will copy and paste it here again to save you having to search the thread for it.
Unlike many watch channels I have a policy of not accepting; Paypal, and Patreon donations from my viewers. I make no secret of the fact my channels revenue comes from; Google AdSense payments, and payments from brands.
Yes, I am gifted watches by brands, paid by brands, or both.
Hence the "Includes Paid Promotion" message at the start of every video in the top left of the screen; to make it clear to the viewer.
It is one of the T & C's in YouTube's partner agreement that content creators disclose paid promotions to viewers via this message.
With regards to the deals I do with brands, and the figures; that is private between the brands and I; which is standard procedure with the watch industry.
In some cases partnership contracts have been signed between the brand and I; which are legally binding. For example one of the clauses will state the T & C's of the contract are to be kept private, and not publicly disclosed; therefore I am legally not allowed to reveal these.
Thank you for watching.
These users thanked the author Watch Reviews 4K for the post:
JAFO
Watch Reviews 4K

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:53 pm ^^^ interesting information there!

The viewers perspective, and the content creators perspective are different. I used to have a viewers perspective, then I started my own watch channel and became privy to information about how the watch industry works; information that the viewer is not privy to.
YouTube is a marketing platform which brands use to market their product using influencers directly to their target customer. The viewer often mistakenly thinks the purpose of the platform is to entertain them; rather than market products to them. That is the reality.
"I’ve generally started ignoring online watch reviews as actual reviews because they all come off as simply commercials for the watch"
Correct, the content you are watching is an online ad for the watch.
Try to appreciate the position a content creator is in. If one gives a positive review of a piece, one is accused of being a paid shill for the brand. If one gives a negative review of a piece, one is accused of being biased against the brand. So you see regardless of what kind of review one gives, one receives criticism from viewers.
Also consider you are getting to watch content free. You are not paying a subscription like Netflix. The Google AdSense revenue is negligible for the content creator; so of course they need alternative revenue, such as brand payments, or gifted watches.
Naturally if a content creator gives a negative review, the brand then cuts them off; no more payments, no more gifted watches.
Hence why one will see so many positive reviews, as it benefits the content creator to keep the revenue supply going.
That is the reality of how the watch industry works.