Red Bezels - bit flashy or a tasteful pop of colour?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Red Bezels - bit flashy or a tasteful pop of colour?

Post by Timishere »

Hi Everyone

I'm a total newbie to the forum and generally poor at matching colours, so please bear with me and my question.

I just got a c65 vintage with red bezel and black dial (for a bargain price combining Summer Special and £100 code) and I'm totally in two minds about keeping it, vs getting a blue one (which would be £200 extra).

So the question is if members have found that a red bezel is wearable with most shirts / tshirts? Do people generally find they get noticed a lot, or just blend in? Obviously it is all a matter of personal taste, but just interested in what people think! I typically prefer a more understated look.

Thanks
Tim
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Red Bezels - bit flashy or a tasteful pop of colour?

Post by gaf1958 »

Most people wouldn’t notice your watch unless you smacked them over the head with it…. and even then the police report wouldn’t state anywhere that a man wearing a red bezelled watch did anything.

So wear said red bezelled watch wherever you feel like and with whatever you want. I do…
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I have a red bezel C60. Nobody has ever commented on it or even looked at it unless I shove it in their face and say “look at my watch!”. Wear what you like! I wear mine with any color or style clothing, it never appears to clash, probably because it isn’t a flashy shade of red, and just contained to the bezel.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I ordered a c60 red bezel in the last sale. CW sent me the wrong watch (they actually sent a GMT), but I was very impressed with the red bezel. In the end I decided to just return the GMT and not take the correct 3 hander, as it wasn't on a bracelet.
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

It is rare to have someone remark on my watch, but my red bezel/white Trident GMT 38mm gets the most (positive) comments. In 5 or 6 years of owning it I think I'm at 3 or 4 comments!
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

I have red and blue bezel watches. Nobody has ever noticed either! Id say red goes as perfectly well with any clothing as blue does.

Obviously its down to personal choice.

The obvious answer to your question is have both :thumbup:
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Unless you wear an orange suit, red will be cool :thumbup:

Of course it's down to what you feel comfortable with, but a little dash never hurts. Personally, I really like my RW Trident on blue rubber. Goes with almost anything.
IMG_1011.jpeg
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

gaf1958 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:01 pm Most people wouldn’t notice your watch unless you smacked them over the head with it…. and even then the police report wouldn’t state anywhere that a man wearing a red bezelled watch did anything.

So wear said red bezelled watch wherever you feel like and with whatever you want. I do…
Haha. I wouldn't want to scratch the AR coating hitting anyone on the head with a watch (thankfully CW haven't put that on the outside of the crystal yet!). I'm surprised people don't notice - I'd definitely be noticing some of your extensive collection!
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

JAFO wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:42 pm I ordered a c60 red bezel in the last sale. CW sent me the wrong watch (they actually sent a GMT), but I was very impressed with the red bezel. In the end I decided to just return the GMT and not take the correct 3 hander, as it wasn't on a bracelet.
Yes, it's a pain how it always seems to be the spec one wants that isn't in the sale! I guess they do clearance only on the less popular. That said, is it true that they normally do 15% off site wide for Black Friday?
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:36 pm Unless you wear an orange suit, red will be cool :thumbup:

Of course it's down to what you feel comfortable with, but a little dash never hurts. Personally, I really like my RW Trident on blue rubber. Goes with almost anything.

IMG_1011.jpeg
Did I not mention I have a side gig playing the Tango Man? I've also asked my wife, and she reckons I also can't wear pink. Which I think is achievable.

Thanks for the insight though - I know it's a bit ridiculous to ask the question but I always worry about having a watch that everyone thinks is show off-y
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Timishere wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:52 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:36 pm

IMG_1011.jpeg
I've also asked my wife, and she reckons I also can't wear pink. Which I think is achievable.

Thanks for the insight though - I know it's a bit ridiculous to ask the question but I always worry about having a watch that everyone thinks is show off-y
I don't think you need worry about a watch with Christopher Ward written in it being showy. Anyone that does actually notice probably won't even have heard of the brand
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Well, you need to wear what you're comfortable with..personally, this is the baby that initially attracted me to the brand..
CW C60 Trident GMT 38mm eta2836-2(1).JPG
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Timishere wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:52 pm I always worry about having a watch that everyone thinks is show off-y
Firstly, a CW could not be classed as ‘show off-y’ in any way, shape or form

Secondly, who gives a monkeys what anybody else thinks about what you own or wear anyway

So, thirdly - wear what you want, when you want, with whatever you want. The only person that needs to be happy about it is you. So, if you like the watch keep it and enjoy it, simple. There are no rules on what you can wear with what, despite what some people (for want of a better word! :lol: ) might try and tell you.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:10 pm So, thirdly - wear what you want, when you want, with whatever you want. The only person that needs to be happy about it is you. So, if you like the watch keep it and enjoy it, simple. There are no rules on what you can wear with what, despite what some people (for want of a better word! :lol: ) might try and tell you.
The wisest advice you will get. Long-time members will know that I used to overthink this completely and made up all sorts of daft rules for myself.

I wouldn’t mind a pound for everyone who didn’t notice my watch this week. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I don't own a red bezel Trident but I've always fancied one. I think it simply adds a nice splash of color to something that most average people won't look twice at. Instead of the same black you see everywhere you get a sporty touch on a classy watch. Reality is the Tridents are nothing in comparison to the recently released Oris Aquis cherry I'm planning to purchase. That one screams "I'm red look at me!". :veg:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.