The temptation was too much!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

The temptation was too much!

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Say hello to Nereus, my C63 Sealander GMT (incoming today). Bonus points if you work out where the name comes from.

I have quietly had my eye on this since the range was introduced; in fact, since Mike and Adrian showed the mock-ups to the Admin Team at a zoom meeting in December. I didn’t say anything, but I was thinking of it as a possible holiday watch. I will explain the thinking at some point.

Anyway, it’s here and I am blown away by it. I’m pretty sure this is the best looking CW I’ve ever had. With a couple of weeks to go before I’m off to Greece I decided to bite the bullet, pull the trigger, jump all over that bad boy or whatever other ridiculous epithets you choose. In plain QE, I went ahead and ordered it.

I wouldn’t want to disappoint anyone :lol: so I will do an in-depth review with better pictures either at the weekend or early next week. Here are a few Q & D iPhone pictures to be getting on with. How about that lume? :D

D962D261-5700-4375-B3EB-8AADA17955F3.jpeg
F30BD2CE-6FA2-4CC3-8A68-3F35D9F5E722.jpeg
A80C3B79-7AAB-4DF9-ADA4-53542EE9CB8E.jpeg
5DB335EF-BB95-4334-9F39-7552B2D650D9.jpeg
535541F7-8951-40FD-AD97-5ACB8B73E5A7.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: The temptation was too much!

Post by timor54 »

A very attractive watch Steve; are you anticipating (hoping) to get it wet and be followed around by Doris and her fifty Nereids…

I’ve been agonising over the size of this. I have two watches of similar dimensions, which I’m happily wearing, but each with dramatically different dial sizes; Black Bay 58 with a small dial and Meistersinger Metris with a very large dial. I’m guessing this fits somewhere in the middle with regards dial area.

What is your wrist size? and if you don’t mind I’d like to see a photo of this alongside your Metris.
Tim
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Very nice Steve, but does it not tread on the toes of your UN?

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

timor54 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:17 pm A very attractive watch Steve; are you anticipating (hoping) to get it wet and be followed around by Doris and her fifty Nereids…

What is your wrist size? and if you don’t mind I’d like to see a photo of this alongside your Metris.
Doris can jolly well stay in Dibley, but I wouldn’t mind being followed around by a few Nereids, I must admit. Go back a generation.

Wrist size is 7.25 inches. As to which wears the larger, in my opinion there’s not a hair’s breadth in it.

All measurements approximate.

CW: diameter 39; with crown 42.5; dial 33; L2L 45: height 12

MS: diameter 38 (but hard to measure because the case is quite cushioned); with crown 41; dial 34; L2 L 45; height 12

31F384D5-8A27-4A2B-90B4-D57D8A2A9B0B.jpeg
258703BF-922E-4CC3-978F-9BE612F9141A.jpeg
A074A7EA-E60B-4A46-8A10-E59AB668571A.jpeg
H0rati0 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:56 pm Very nice Steve, but does it not tread on the toes of your UN?

nik
Not at all, Nik. The UN was never coming to Greece for a beach holiday. All being well, it will be going to Cyprus for Christmas and I’m eyeing up a Nile cruise early next year, when I think it will be perfect. The only question regarding Greece is whether I do a “Village” and go with the CW on one wrist and the MS on the other. Might be an idea to run a comparison, even if it breaks my resolution to go with only one watch.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Congratulations Steve :clap: 8)
An outstanding addition to your collection.

Looking forward to your review of the watch after awhile.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I guess you couldn't wait for additional colours or sizes. Will you be painting pictures of this onto the side of any vases in the near future? Congratulations.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia

albionphoto wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:04 pm I guess you couldn't wait for additional colours or sizes. Will you be painting pictures of this onto the side of any vases in the near future? Congratulations.
Colours and sizes are not really an issue, Mark. I know I go on about blue dials but I already have some and this is just stunning with the black dial. Size is perfect.

Painting? Moi? I couldn’t paint the shed door! :lol:
Steve

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:11 pm Wrist size is 7.25 inches. As to which wears the larger, in my opinion there’s not a hair’s breadth in it.

All measurements approximate.

CW: diameter 39; with crown 42.5; dial 33; L2L 45: height 12

MS: diameter 38 (but hard to measure because the case is quite cushioned); with crown 41; dial 34; L2 L 45; height 12
To my eye the MS wears smaller. This is down entirely to the shape of the lugs. The steep slant on the lugs makes them appear much shorter than they actually are.
Two cracking watches to be sure.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Well done and I certainly think you've gone with the right colour. The black looks better than the white in my opinion, although I’ve handled a friends white version but not seen the black in real life. I assume it’s the same gloss dial as the black trident though.

I was tempted by one of these but picked up another black dial trident instead, that’s only because I’m more likely to use the timing bezel than the GMT feature though.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

You kept this hankering very quiet! Nice one! This looks a class act and is going to make a great holiday watch :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:11 pm
Wrist size is 7.25 inches. As to which wears the larger, in my opinion there’s not a hair’s breadth in it.
Steve, thank you for the comparison. It confirms what I thought, that the C63 has a lot of dial area for its modest diameter.

I also agree that the black version is very smart with its colour matched GMT hand.
Tim
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Many a Watch God are draining huge ale filled gourds in salute to your fine a$$ pick up..they all give it 2 spears up!!.. :thumbup:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Very smart indeed, with a reasonable power reserve. :thumbup:

I do like a GMT.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thunder1 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:03 pm Many a Watch God are draining huge ale filled gourds in salute to your fine a$$ pick up..they all give it 2 spears up!!.. :thumbup:
E308B294-882C-4F22-B40E-23882DCC78DF.jpeg
Steve

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

albionphoto wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:04 pm I guess you couldn't wait for additional colours
That was my initial thought. Perhaps Steve committing to this one means a blue version is imminent.

Beautiful watch, Steve! Enjoy it in your trip. I can’t wait to see some pics of Greece with this in the foreground.
Drew