Push Pull Crown on the C65 Trident Vintage

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
theunsureavenger

Push Pull Crown on the C65 Trident Vintage

Post by theunsureavenger »

I’m sure the whole push pull vs screw down crown topic has been spoke about before on here but I’m probably in the minority when I say I was happy to see Christopher Ward using a push pull crown on their C65 trident vintage MK2. I know originally the MK1 used a screw down crown and now with the sandhurst they have screw down crowns once more. But other than the mostly debunked idea that a screw down crown adds any benefit to the water resistance, what was the reason for the change? Customer feedback?

I own numerous watches with screw down crowns and it would be nice to own a watch without it. The C65 trident vintage is pretty much the whole package. The sandhurst would have been an option too had it not been for the addition of the screw down crown.

Does anyone else favour one over the other? I’m not saying I favour push pull but I certainly would never worry about it or request it to be changed. I see more negatives with a screw down over a push pull and more care needed.

Lastly I’ll add this, I understand if you are diving or do other water sports that the possibility of the crown getting snagged and pull out is a risk with push pulls but as I don’t participate in such things that argument for me personally doesn’t add any benefit. And I imagine that’s the case for the majority.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Push Pull Crown on the C65 Trident Vintage

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome. That’s certainly an interesting counter argument regarding the crown.

Do by all means visit the Member Introduction Section and tell us about yourself and of course your watches. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I'm with you, proper divers should have screw down crowns, but for normal (no deep water) wear vastly overrated, less convenient and as you point out, more care required. For manual winders, a real PITA.

BTW the Cranwell from the Military range has push pull and the Sealander Elite has its pop out mechanism so still available from CW.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
theunsureavenger

Post by theunsureavenger »

H0rati0 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:43 am I'm with you, proper divers should have screw down crowns, but for normal (no deep water) wear vastly overrated, less convenient and as you point out, more care required. For manual winders, a real PITA.

BTW the Cranwell from the Military range has push pull and the Sealander Elite has its pop out mechanism so still available from CW.
I did not know that about the cranwell but thanks for
pointing it out, if only it was also 38mm. I wonder why they decided to leave it push pull on the cranwell but not on the sandhurst.

Yes I mean I often hear people talk about how they are worried they’ll cross thread the threads on a screw down but the majority complain when a watch has a push pull. I’ve got the same thoughts with the brand Serica, I like their 4512 manual wind but unfortunately they use a screw down crown. Surely the stresses of having to unwind and screw back in would create unnecessary wear on the threads that could have been avoided using a push pull.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

theunsureavenger wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:57 pm
I did not know that about the cranwell but thanks for
pointing it out, if only it was also 38mm. I wonder why they decided to leave it push pull on the cranwell but not on the sandhurst.
Sorry, no idea. The guy to ask if you really want to know is Declan at CW Towers. He might be able to give you a steer.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I'm with you on not being too bothered either way. I'm not a diver and usually take my watch off while swimming anyway (given the usual water temperature in the U.K. I've don't really need to time a swim!). I've always understood that it's the seals that give the waterproofing, but people do like a screw-down crown and may shy away from a watch without so perhaps sales would be affected? I have done a range of activities and I have never had the crown of a watch change position though I appreciate that the if it did the consequences of doing so underwater are more serious than while out of the water.
As for the Cranwell, perhaps being a "pilots watch" then the thinking is that if a pilot gets wet then watch water resistance is the least of their problems ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

H0rati0 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:43 am BTW the Cranwell from the Military range has push pull and the Sealander Elite has its pop out mechanism so still available from CW.
I love the push pull crown on my Cranwell... it's slightly oversized and just feels "military" :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Count me as another one who appreciates the push pull crown on the manual wind C65 Trident Diver.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

On the Dartmouth, as it is a diver, I welcomed the change to screw down crown. For the Cranwell and Sandhurst a push pull crown probably makes more sense.

On the C65 diver, manual wind, a screw-down crown would have actually been a nuisance. But I feel that any model defined as a diver should have one.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

theunsureavenger wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:57 pm Yes I mean I often hear people talk about how they are worried they’ll cross thread the threads on a screw down but the majority complain when a watch has a push pull. I’ve got the same thoughts with the brand Serica, I like their 4512 manual wind but unfortunately they use a screw down crown. Surely the stresses of having to unwind and screw back in would create unnecessary wear on the threads that could have been avoided using a push pull.
I have screw down crowns on watches that date back more than 30 years for me (one watch is 50 years old at this point - it was 11 years old when I got it). I have never, not once, cross threaded a crown. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I think it isn't even on the worry list.

I pretty much use the twist back until you feel the threads engage. Then twist away.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

In general I prefer screw-down crowns as I feel they are more secure if doing anything water related. With my C65 Trident Vintage Mk II I use it for more as a lifestyle watch so it doesn't go near water and the push-pull crown is fine. I don't wind my watches but it's always easier to do it on push-pull crown as well. I don't mind it either way but if the CW was going for a vintage Explorer type watch it really needed the screw-down crown for that extra reassurance.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I’m not strongly attached to either threaded or push-pull crowns. I have the Vintage Mk11 and appreciate it’s simplicity. I also have the Sandstorm which uses the same case but has a threaded crown. And in the balance of my collection I have other threaded and pull crown watches. I know what I’m selecting when I put it on for the day and plan accordingly when setting the watch if it needs.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair