Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jean-phi78
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 8

Question about some prices on the CW's website

Post by Jean-phi78 »

Hello,

I'm asking myself one question, but maybe some of you will have an answer.

Last july I bought a nearly new C65 Chronograph at £1237.50, during the summer deals (with least 25% off).
Today, I have just noticed the normal displayed price for this watch in new condition is £1375 ; which surprises me greatly.
I have the impression of not having really benefited a real discount if CW has reviewed their pricing policy.

Maybe it's a mistake.

What do you think about it ?
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Question about some prices on the CW's website

Post by Clach77 »

I have no knowledge of pricing, but by view is that you bought an amazing watch at a great price. If you like the watch then it doesn’t matter what CWL are charging for it now. But on the bright side - think how you’d be feeling now if you’d bought it before the summer promotion.
Trying not to buy any more watches...
Jean-phi78
Senior
Senior

Post by Jean-phi78 »

Of course, you're right, if I'm happy with my watch, that's the main thing.
But that’s not the subject of my post.
It poses the principle of deals and normal prices, because it’s the first time I have noticed that on the website.
So, I think it is probably an error that crept into the website.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

There was a recent 25% off summer specials promotion on various models. That page has disappeared now.

I wonder if this was one of them, and the 25% deduction has morphed into a new base price. (Edit. Maybe for a small remaining stock)

Can you recall the reduction offer you got originally to.compare?
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

Prices do change and the subject of sales has been mentioned on here before. :silent:

From memory, there was once before a price reduction across a number of watches. This included the C1000 which was reduced from what it was to £995. So it may not be an error and just a new price. I image it could be that it’s £100 more than you paid to account for what vouchers which are not available.
Trying not to buy any more watches...
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

The constant of any internet business is that prices change up and down all the time, sometimes dramatically. That is true of any business but it is much more obvious with internet, real time businesses. Each of us have to make the call as to what we are prepared to pay for something and when, bearing in mind that availability changes just as quickly - blink and it's gone!

Nature of the beast.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

To support what JAFO said above this was definitely included in a summer promotion starting in August I recall. It basically had £425 off/25%.

Not sure if that reduction is now permanent or if it is due to go back up. For an SW-510 the current selling price is cheap compared to other brands.

How new was your nearly new, any marks etc? Either way at least you paid less. The discount you had at the time was a genuine one.
Jean-phi78
Senior
Senior

Post by Jean-phi78 »

Thanks guys for all your replies.
You gave answers to my questions.
I didn't know that prices could go down without going through a sale, or a "sale" mention.
Now I know.

Have a great saturday !
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Jean-phi78 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:47 am I didn't know that prices could go down without going through a sale, or a "sale" mention.
Now I know.
As an independent company operating entirely through the Internet, its own showroom, and not through third-party vendors, I have always assumed that they are completely at liberty to fix and alter the prices in any way they wish.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I’d also throw into the mix: Brexit, COVID, and currency fluctuations. Each may have contributed to some price adjustments, particularly for the higher end of the CW line.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Bought mine shortly after launch when they were £1800. I stumbled on an “influencer’s” article and he had a 15% discount code with a day or two left to run. It tipped my hand and I paid £1530. Seeing them being sold just now at £1375, doesn’t bother me one bit. That’s life. Had it been a month or so after……….. :shock:
Steve.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

Of course CW can do whatever they wish with the prices at any time.

But running a campaign with several emails with "hurry up, for limited time only, wont last forever", like they did with the Elite 1000... and then make it actually the new price, I find at least a bit disingenuous.

I bought the Elite 1000 at the "discounted" price and I'm very happy with the watch, but I did so in the understanding that the price would eventually bounce back up, not remain there. Had I known that I would have waited for a "loupe" voucher code, that's never more than a month away, and get an "actual" discount...

Just saying...
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

Blackdog wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:20 am Of course CW can do whatever they wish with the prices at any time.

But running a campaign with several emails with "hurry up, for limited time only, wont last forever", like they did with the Elite 1000... and then make it actually the new price, I find at least a bit disingenuous.

I bought the Elite 1000 at the "discounted" price and I'm very happy with the watch, but I did so in the understanding that the price would eventually bounce back up, not remain there. Had I known that I would have waited for a "loupe" voucher code, that's never more than a month away, and get an "actual" discount...

Just saying...
If relevent/interesting, I used to work at Amazon HQ and their pricing policy was fluid, ie based on sales volumes. So that means that in day x they didn't know or plan what price would be on day x+60. So, if it's the same for CW they may not have had a plan to keep prices low, rather they decided to do that after the event. This is definitely annoying for you, but could be that it wasn't a deliberate strategy. Hopefully makes you a bit less irritated!

Tim
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:49 amI have always assumed that they are completely at liberty to fix and alter the prices in any way they wish.
My thoughts too.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

Timishere wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:41 am If relevent/interesting, I used to work at Amazon HQ and their pricing policy was fluid, ie based on sales volumes. So that means that in day x they didn't know or plan what price would be on day x+60. So, if it's the same for CW they may not have had a plan to keep prices low, rather they decided to do that after the event. This is definitely annoying for you, but could be that it wasn't a deliberate strategy. Hopefully makes you a bit less irritated!

Tim
I am not so terribly irritated, to tell the truth.

It was just a bit surprising (in a wwrong way)... that's all.

Anyway, if they send me a free strap for the watch all will be forgiven ! (anybody at CW reading this thread ??) 8) :thumbup: