Have CW sent me a “returned” watch?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Geefiasco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Have CW sent me a “returned” watch?

Post by Geefiasco »

I’ve been considering pulling the trigger on the black C60 Elite 1000 for the past week or so that was on sale and a pre-order for ‘end of August’.

However a few days ago I spotted that it was in fact available, so I spontaneously bought it in fear of the price going back up. I also added a blue C60 Trident to the basket.

After completing the purchase, I noticed the Elite listing was immediately back to ‘pre-order’.

Having received the watches a few days after ordering, the 1000 Elite didn’t have any stickers whatsoever, the watch face didn’t even have the protective bit of plastic wrap over it and was installed with the wrong bracelet! it was the Trident that had titanium bracelet installed.

I’ve inspected the watch and bracelet closely and haven’t come across any scratches or obvious signs of use, but I do expect a sealed brand new watch having paid so much money.

Do you reckon CW have given me a returned or ‘nearly new’ watch?
The highest human act is to inspire.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Have CW sent me a “returned” watch?

Post by JAFO »

^^^

It's disturbing when that happens. I have bought inexpensive watches with the bracelets and watch heads thoroughly wrapped in protective film. I think it's very difficult to replace film after its removed. It's like buying the display/test sample of a product. I suppose with expensive goods like clothing, and watches, you get used to others trying the item on first, but it's really nice to get a fully stickered unworn item. It's part of the expectation.

I would send it back under 60 60, unless you got a good enough deal on it to keep it.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Geefiasco wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:18 am
Email Mike France and Vallen Hardy direct. They are the only ones who can answer that question. The rest of us can but speculate.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:12 am
Email Mike France and Vallen Hardy direct. They are the only ones who can answer that question. The rest of us can but speculate.
Sage and accurate advice imho. Vallen is nothing short of excellent.
PHIL
Geefiasco
Senior
Senior

Post by Geefiasco »

JAFO wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:09 am ^^^

It's disturbing when that happens. I have bought inexpensive watches with the bracelets and watch heads thoroughly wrapped in protective film. I think it's very difficult to replace film after its removed. It's like buying the display/test sample of a product. I suppose with expensive goods like clothing, and watches, you get used to others trying the item on first, but it's really nice to get a fully stickered unworn item. It's part of the expectation.

I would send it back under 60 60, unless you got a good enough deal on it to keep it.
Gar787 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:47 pm
Geefiasco
Senior
Senior

Post by Geefiasco »

Thanks guys, what’s their email addresses? I couldn’t find them on the official website.

ps. Just had another look at the Elite I received and noticed there is a fair bit of play in the bezel action when at 12. A considerable amount compared to my Trident MK2 and MK3.
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

You can deduce Mike's address from this:-

vallen.hardy@christopherward.co.uk
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Look at the bottom of the CW main webpage..."Contact us".
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Geefiasco
Senior
Senior

Post by Geefiasco »

Laird wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:01 pm You can deduce Mike's address from this:-

vallen.hardy@christopherward.co.uk
Many thanks :thumbup:
Kip wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:03 pm Look at the bottom of the CW main webpage..."Contact us".
I did that initially, but didn't see Mike or Vallen's email address.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

I’ve inspected the watch and bracelet closely and haven’t come across any scratches or obvious signs of use, but I do expect a sealed brand new watch having paid so much money.

Here is an email response I received from Mike France in 2018 that answers your initial question.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 1.26.04 PM.png
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Geefiasco
Senior
Senior

Post by Geefiasco »

mvlow wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:26 pm

Here is an email response I received from Mike France in 2018 that answers your initial question.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 1.26.04 PM.png
Ah, I see. Makes sense why only 1 was available to ship instantly then! Cheers, appreciate that.

The watch is indeed in ‘mint’ condition, but the bezel play seems a little loose. I may video it and post tomorrow to see what you guys think. The COSC certificate was also dated way back to March 2020 - is this acceptable?

I did however order another Elite 1000 but delivery is at the end of the month - I’m considering cancelling and just keeping the one I have as I’m very impatient with these things.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

The COSC certification is of the movement, not the watch, so will be from general stock. Not something to worry about.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Geefiasco wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:19 pm
The watch is indeed in ‘mint’ condition, but the bezel play seems a little loose. I may video it and post tomorrow to see what you guys think. The COSC certificate was also dated way back to March 2020 - is this acceptable?
I bought a 2018 model Bremont with a COSC Valjoux movement certificate dating from 2012. I was, and am, okay with that since it runs well within COSC standards. A 2020 movement will be just fine. You can relax. :-)
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

I ordered one last Thursday and it should be delivered tomorrow (U.S.). I was curious about the same thing, it showed pre-order but shipped. I do not think I would be happy with receiving a nearly new when I purchased new.

On another note, I noticed the summer sales section is gone but the Elite has remained at the sales price and still shows pre-order. I am curious if they are lowering the pricing because they did not sell at the normal price.

I will update when I receive tomorrow. I am hoping for the best.
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

So I did receive today. It looks brand new, however they sent the wrong watch. They sent me the GMT version when I ordered the standard Elite 1000. I emailed customer service so hopefully it gets resolved. I am just curious if I am going to pay duties again when they send the correct watch. That would ruin my discount.

BTW - The COSC certificate showed May 2020 so perhaps they send over in batches and then have the movements on the shelf ready to go.