Import tax?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dennisbible

Import tax?

Post by dennisbible »

How much import tax can I expect to pay in the US for say an $1100 Christopher Ward?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Import tax?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ I'm sure one of our US based members will be along to help shortly but, as far as I'm aware (as I'm in UK), a lot depends on which State you live in and the rate of local Sales Tax.

Guy
C1 GBT| C4&W7 BBMF| C5 BOB LE| C5 FLE| C7 Apex| C7 MkI 47AD| C7 MkII Harrier
C8 Reg LE| C8 M2.04 LE| C8 Al Deere| C9 FLE| C9 Me109 SPC LE| C11 Mak Navy| C40
C60 FLEx2| C60 Bronze GMT| C60 Apex-Elite P'type-AbyssSH21-Chrono-Blue |C65 Chrono-AM GT 2VEV
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:37 pm …as far as I'm aware (as I'm in UK), a lot depends on which State you live in and the rate of local Sales Tax.

Guy
Sales tax will not be an issue, just the import duties (which I can’t help you with).

While technically, state sales tax would be owed, it’s self-reported in a case like this. And I don’t know a single person …NOT. A. SINGLE. ONE!… who has EVER self-reported state sales tax! :lol:

Americans just don’t like to pay their taxes, as George III knew all too well.
Andrew
“I can't stand it to think my life is going so fast and I'm not really living it.”

C65 Trident Vintage
C65 AM GT LE

Find me on Instagram @jkbarnes
Or follow my photography on Instagram @jkbarnesphotos
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ All very factual information :lol:

As far as the customs duty, I don’t think anyone knows. Not even the customs agent who’s going to be charging you! I do know that the calculation depends on a few things (like an exhibition case back might add cost because of multiple crystals) and the duty is a percentage of the cost of each part, and the percentage varies etc…

I was charged $42 on an Abyss, $86 for a Super compressor and $136 for a NN moonglow. The Abyss and SC were very close together in terms of purchase price, but more than double the duty.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best?
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 SC|C65 316L LE|C60 mk3 GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
thomcat00
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by thomcat00 »

I bought a Sandstorm and DHL claimed I owed $192 to them for the $1085 watch. I calmly asked them to itemize and explain the charges. In the process $57 was found to be in error. Some of the “duties” are DHL fees which with arguing can be reduced. The process feels arbitrary and difficult to audit.

I generally figure on 10% for watches over the $800 threshold.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by albionphoto »

My most rcent purchase was a C63 Sealander Elite on bracelet at $1695. Duty/DHL fees were ~ $114. Actual import duty should depend upon case material, movement and strap/bracelet type or cost and can vary. If all goes well DHL fees are about $40 of each transaction.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, and Oris
rkovars
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by rkovars »

albionphoto wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:21 am My most rcent purchase was a C63 Sealander Elite on bracelet at $1695. Duty/DHL fees were ~ $114. Actual import duty should depend upon case material, movement and strap/bracelet type or cost and can vary. If all goes well DHL fees are about $40 of each transaction.
Don't forget the experience/attention to detail of the inspector. The harmonized tariff schedule is a real piece of work even for someone who knows what they are doing.

For reference on my Ombré I paid about $135 (purchase price was around $1100). That one had a COSC movement which I think matters in the final calculation. Mine was a couple of years ago too so the schedule may have changed a little since then.
Current CW = C65 Trident Vintage GMT, C65 Dartmouth, C60 Trident Ombré COSC LE, C65 Super Compressor

In Review:

2 More CW's on the short list! (This is pretty much a lie - I have at least 17 CW Tabs open at the moment!)
MichaelMD
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

I was in the $110 range on my last $1,800 purchase. Depends on if they (CW) reports it or if you have to fill out the sheet to declare it. Would have been a little higher if CW had done it - apparently DHL couldn't find the sheet