tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: NPD T4 project

Post by tikkathree »

+1 HERE :thumbup:
Kip wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:59 am Bracelet/straps

While this is a brainstorming session regarding the C60 T4, bracelet and strap improvements was an active topic.

The bracelet first.

Again, but not without dissent, screwed links seem to be a very popular request provided it is a single screw so only one screwdriver is required.
Making a half link standard is also heavily favored as this would allow almost limitless adjustment in combo with the clasp micro adjustments.

It has been suggested that the clasp micro adjustment be redesigned so it can be made without removing the watch from the wrist. Along with this, a diver extension is also suggested or expand the clasp adjustment to act as one.

Other suggestions include female end links for smoother fit and a return to polished center inks for a richer look and better case match. Of course, this would depend on if any changes are made to the case finish.

Straps

Fully integrated and adjustable rubber straps with a deployant clasp and extension (think original C6) was a popular suggestion. Availability of a standard clasp was also suggested.

The suggestion of using all fitted straps was also suggested, although if using tide straps, I think this would be difficult.

It has also been suggested that bracelet and choice of strap be included as a standard.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Squalus »

A forged carbon bezel insert would be an interesting look for an LE watch.
Squalus
Expert
Expert

Post by Squalus »

Just a wild suggestion. Iridescent dial that transitions between two colours, depending on the viewing angle and lighting.
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Based on...
Kip wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 pm...we haven't seen any Photoshops...
I spent a bit of time doing that last night (and stayed up far later than I should've done, in doing so! :lol: ). I just wanted to see what my 'show some love for the chrono' comment a couple of pages back could look like. I got this:
Chrono (Large).png
Sorry for the ghost dial at the 6-o'clock position. I used the Abyss with its SH21 skeleton and that part was difficult to remove without just being a solid black-dial section. Hopefully you can get the gist though. I thought a Chrono movement may be something special to look at. Actually in hindsight maybe I should have left the third dial present and removed the date - that would be more useful. Maybe something for tonight! :lol:

This has the Titanium Elite case (without He valve, because there's no point for a 1000m rating on this) with the Elite bezel - saves weight, maybe reduces bulk a little, and this model is priced appropriately anyway. The red dots in the first 15 minute line allow for using it as a 15 min count-down timer at a glance, with demarkations for 10, 5, 3 and 1 minutes (sorry - comes from my sailing background) by using the chronograph for an accurate seconds count and the bezel for marking minutes remaining and then helping count-up. (Possibly not well described) The white bezel marker at the 16 minute mark is gone because I think it's easier to read like that (sorry, it just is). I originally went for Speedmaster racing style colourways on the minute track but it was too much red, so removed the alternate ones to tone that back down a bit.
Oh and applied twin flag logo only, because it seems the consensus is that that's the way to go (and I'd agree).

And this (in honour of Guy's old proto-beast):
ChronoGreen (Large).png

Also, The Apex series were great, and I wish that they would continue to exist in some form as a non-LE, halo model (perhaps that's just because I missed out). And inline with the above:
C60-42APR3-S0BB0-B0_Picture_1 (Large).png
While I had the editing software open, I also wondered... With the Sapphire models they've done most the colourways they used on the Kingfisher. Only one left... (Sorry, not the best shade of yellow but I rushed it a little)
C60-40ADA3-S00O0-B0_Picture_1 (Large).png
These users thanked the author monkeymax for the post:
jtc
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

Love the Apex model. All I would add, is have more contrast on the hands to increase legibility.
I tried the editing myself, failed badly. I spent a good few hours trying to make a blue non date Trident.
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Oh wow that neon chrono is amazing. Well done!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

C60 Anthropocene GMT Pepsi
C60-42.jpg
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Squalus
Expert
Expert

Post by Squalus »

I super like the sapphire chrono. I also like the idea of an Apex style dial but with larger cut-outs.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

monkeymax wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:38 pm I spent a bit of time doing that last night (and stayed up far later than I should've done, in doing so! :lol: ). I just wanted to see what my 'show some love for the chrono' comment a couple of pages back could look like. I got this:
Some fantastic work there. They look great and really show how good the twin flags look at 12.

I do think that the twin flags alone would lend itself to a very modern looking dive watch though. So I guess it depends on how ultra modern CW want the design to be. The wordmark itself at 12 instead I think would work for both modern and retro designs (taking the fine GMT example above which looks slightly retro to me).

I wonder how willing CW would be to have different logo's/wordmarks across the ranges and whether it will be a Trident only decision or across the brand as a whole.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

On reflection, not having the watch maker's name on a dial is so unusual it deserves comment.

Rolex or Omega could probably use their logo/device alone, but they don't.

The twin flags is a great device, and quite different from other manufacturers, but it really is a big step to just have the device only. We know the device, but many casual watch buyers don't. I know the C7 Rapide models had the device only. Did any other designs?

Anyway, I personally think the brand name should remain visible on all models.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

My first ever photoshop attempt. Learned it today just to do this:

9BC2B455-9D02-4087-B006-9AD55F544CD0.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSDEV.Woulf
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

As Kip is closing the thread tomorrow, I thought it time to put down my thoughts:

Case:
The light catcher is an attractive case. No need for extensive change. However each model should be made as thin as possible, based upon the movement it contains.

This means reducing the WR to 300m on the core model and having a closed caseback. WR of more than 300m is absolutely pointless, other than as a marketing play. If CW think there is a requirement for 600m or more, this could be restricted to say 42mm models, or LE.

Case sizes 38mm, 40mm and 42mm. That said my preference would be 39mm and 41mm, instead of the three current options. The Tide style bezel would enable the dial area to still look of sufficient size.

Caseback:
Solid with a high quality Trident etching. Keep any thoughts of sapphire caseback to LE.

Bezel:
Tide style.

Crystal:
Slight dome, with AR on the inside.

Movement:
As long a PR as fits with the intended price point. Use SH21 for top of range models.

Dial/hands:
Gradient dials. No change to current handset, other than tidy up the overhang on the hour and minute hands. Date at 6, plus also offer no date versions.

Logo/twin flag device:
Twin flags at 12. Absolutely nothing at 9! If CW needs to remain on the dial it can fit quite happily on one line under the twin flags. The number of letters is not widely different to a number of rather famous brands that manage to space the brand name on one line at 12.

Bracelet/straps:
Change from male to female end links. This reduces the effective lug to lug. May even mean that there is no longer a need for the 38mm model.

For the core, thin as possible, 40mm model offer bracelets that have brushed centre links, with polished outer links (rather than going with PCL and brushed outer links). Restrict fully brushed bracelets to 42mm models.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:24 am My first ever photoshop attempt. Learned it today just to do this:

9BC2B455-9D02-4087-B006-9AD55F544CD0.jpeg
That looks great!
These users thanked the author ssholloway21 for the post:
ajax87
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

The C60 is nearly perfect so keep it that way. You don't see a sub getting massive updates.

What to Keep:
WR rating-It is sufficient for a dive watch. Anything more is near pointless. Less would also not be desirable.
Unidirectional bezel-Perfect
Solid Case back-A work of art

What to add:
Color-Most of my gauges for diving are white with black indexes (and a splash of red for the critical parts.) Some are black with yellow. I think some Frenchman discovered that an orange face had great visibility and I have a yellow diver that is very easy to read at depth.

Bigger illumination marker on the second hand. The dot is rather small.

What to do away with:
Perhaps the date. If I need to track the date on a dive it is really going to mess up my decompression calculations.

Things you don't need IMO:
Helium release valve-Please don't do this unless you are specifically targeting a contract to supply equipment for saturation divers. It is just a failure point for everyone else and as useful as owning a 240MPH car in the middle of New York.