NPD T4 project

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: NPD T4 project

Post by CW257 »

Apologies if this idea has already been covered but (since no idea is too 'wild' for this thread)...

How about a 'design your own' Trident function.

Accepting this would come at a premium, but I would love the opportunity to tailor everything about my individual watch. Case size, logo placement, bezel colour, dial colour, hand colour, etc. Imagine the hours you could kill playing with that.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Would prefer an applied logo at 12, and not lumed.

To use lume in too many areas would make me think of a kickstarter where just because something can be lumed it is. Sometimes less is more in terms of design and as a tool style watch it could be more of a gimmick without any real function.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

NPD T4 project

Post by gaf1958 »

A1soknownas wrote:Would prefer an applied logo at 12, and not lumed.

To use lume in too many areas would make me think of a kickstarter where just because something can be lumed it is. Sometimes less is more in terms of design and as a tool style watch it could be more of a gimmick without any real function.
I would agree. Great lume on the hands and hour markers, bezel as well, but not necessarily anywhere else.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

Interesting to see how it'll turn out. I'm also in the "hands are bland on the MK3" camp.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

gaf1958 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:39 am

I would agree. Great lume on the hands and hour markers, bezel as well, but not necessarily anywhere else.
I'll 3rd this. Things can start to look a bit crass with too much lume, not to mention diverting attention from its core function if actually being used as a dive watch (I'm sure some people do :wink:).

Applied metal motif with a mix of polished/laser etch/brushed finishing to give the flags some definition.
Ryan
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

StrappedUp wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:43 am
gaf1958 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:39 am

I'll 3rd this. Things can start to look a bit crass with too much lume, not to mention diverting attention from its core function if actually being used as a dive watch (I'm sure some people do :wink:).

Applied metal motif with a mix of polished/laser etch/brushed finishing to give the flags some definition.
Should be applied to look classy. No need for lume in that area. :thumbup:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

^^^
I'm with this sentiment too. Applied, classy logo lume not required. Lume should be functional.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Jamhill9

Post by Jamhill9 »

Pretty out there. Not exactly on the aesthetics per say, but: a Chrono/GMT version, and a hidden lug version, like the Seiko tuna - very comfortable.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Bracelet/straps

While this is a brainstorming session regarding the C60 T4, bracelet and strap improvements was an active topic.

The bracelet first.

Again, but not without dissent, screwed links seem to be a very popular request provided it is a single screw so only one screwdriver is required.
Making a half link standard is also heavily favored as this would allow almost limitless adjustment in combo with the clasp micro adjustments.

It has been suggested that the clasp micro adjustment be redesigned so it can be made without removing the watch from the wrist. Along with this, a diver extension is also suggested or expand the clasp adjustment to act as one.

Other suggestions include female end links for smoother fit and a return to polished center inks for a richer look and better case match. Of course, this would depend on if any changes are made to the case finish.

Straps

Fully integrated and adjustable rubber straps with a deployant clasp and extension (think original C6) was a popular suggestion. Availability of a standard clasp was also suggested.

The suggestion of using all fitted straps was also suggested, although if using tide straps, I think this would be difficult.

It has also been suggested that bracelet and choice of strap be included as a standard.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I don't have a Mk3 or any lightcatcher case watch, but I do own a Mk2. I think the PCL's work very well with the polished ceramic bezel. My preference would be PCL's with polished bezel, and brushed center links with matte bezels.
With the current bracelet adjustment works fine for the collectors, I think screws allow a wider range of buyers to size their own watches.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

SW 300-1 movement w/56 hour reserve
Applied twin flag logo at 12.
Replace Christopher Ward with Trident Pro at 9
Date at 3
600m 2000 ft at 6
Keep the push pin bracelet, but with 2 half links on each side.

Keep the case back as is. Forever
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The original idea was to let this run till the end of September. Since the topic has gone pretty quiet and we haven't seen any Photoshops, I must assume that most of the ideas, suggestions have come forth.

I am going to close this topic down on Friday so I can redo/update the summaries and send off to CW.

If you have any more input please get it in asap.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
vtnyr6

Post by vtnyr6 »

First post, but I've followed the forum for a while and briefly owned an MK2 and MK3, and now a C63 GMT. Finally joined to share my feedback.

I did not see these specifically mentioned in Kip's summaries so I would like to add:
-On the 38/40mm case option increase the bracelet taper and reduce clasp size to 20/16mm.
-40mm case/bracelet option in titanium. Same case and WR as steel (not a chunky 1000m elite).

Other points I strongly agree with:
-Reduced thickness. If that can be achieved by reducing WR to 300m, that is a welcomed trade off.
-Applied twin flags at 12 (no lume), date at 6
-Bracelet screws
-Integrated rubber strap option with adjustable clasp (cut to size)
-Options with matte/brushed bezel
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

On straps in particular...
Consider shorter straps overall. I own quite a few straps and I'm always frustrated by the fact that my 6.75" wrist is either the shortest, or shortest but one hole in the strap. If the average wrist size is 7" then surely this point should be in the middle of the range of holes on a strap and my wrist should be close to the middle? Does every strap maker have an ideal wrist that is so much larger than mine?
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Some more thoughts on casebacks

I do like a sapphire or mineral glass caseback. The widescreen 4k case backs on the Apex models make the SH21 movement look fantastic. There are some issues with clear case backs though. On a larger watch the flat expanse of a sapphire case back can sit like a plate on the wrist. A steel, stamped caseback provides a contoured surface on the wrist which is often more comfortable. Not perhaps an issue on small watches (40mm or less) but often a problem on proper 42mm watches. (I'm a fan of big watches, go ahead shout at me).

The other issue with a clear caseback on a Trident is that you lose the Trident stamped into the case back. I like this feature. I don't see it very often but I like the fact that it is there. There are some alternatives. You could put a medallion in the centre of the caseback with the Trident in the middle. Or you could etch the Trident into the sapphire or mineral glass case back. I know this would add cost but it would give an option to keep the Trident on the back.

Here are some examples from another brand...

etch.jpg
medal.jpg
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris