Same old, Same old from CW?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johnnyhomersimpson

Re: Same old, Same old from CW?

Post by johnnyhomersimpson »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:42 pm

It's very simple though, if they're not making what you want there's no need to be frustrated as I'm sure there are plenty out there that are. You're owe CW nothing, just as they're not owe you a pilot or a racing watch.
Thanks for the slight telling off but I don't need that, I'd like to think this is a forum where we can share views, opinions and observations. Since I started this thread, its been quite a debate - over 75 posts since Sunday! and that's it really, healthy debate and observations.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

downer wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:40 pm And we all need to remember, CW are not only trying to appeal to existing customers.

"Same old, same old" does not apply to new prospects.
And to add to that, it’s probably worth remembering that most people who buy a watch, buy a watch. One watch. And that is probably it for a number of years. They are not going to want to buy six, seven, eight or twenty watches from the same brand. Why on earth would they want to do such a damn fool thing? And if they don’t see what they like from one brand, well then, they will move on and seek out another. No big deal.

We are the exception here.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

johnnyhomersimpson wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:58 pm

It's very simple though, if they're not making what you want there's no need to be frustrated as I'm sure there are plenty out there that are. You're owe CW nothing, just as they're not owe you a pilot or a racing watch.
Thanks for the slight telling off but I don't need that, I'd like to think this is a forum where we can share views, opinions and observations. Since I started this thread, its been quite a debate - over 75 posts since Sunday! and that's it really, healthy debate and observations.
I would not view that comment as a telling off. In my humble opinion, there are couple of points to keep in mind:

- What more can be done with a watch? It seems to me as watches have been around for decades that everything has been done already and everything moving forward is just a reinvention of something old with perhaps better materials.
- Other brands do not have the diversity that CW has. As someone new to watches this year, all I read about is how Rolex is disappointing since they only evolve. To me, other brands do not have a robust offering like CW.
- What are your expectations? I realize after getting into watches that no one is every happy with any watch. Sad to say I do this myself now, always looking for the flaw or something negative.
- What are your tastes? Are you wanting something that is just not CW style right now. For example, if they made dress watches like in the past I would not buy as it is not my style. Currently, their line up is my style and I like their trajectory.

Overall, this forum is great with lots of interesting views, opinions, and helpful information. I would say since CW is growing very fast considering they are relatively new in the watch world says consumers are responding in a positive way.
Amor Vincit Omnia

One is reminded of…

Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

^^^ Brilliant!
Richard
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:33 pm
johnnyhomersimpson wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:26 pm So here's the thing...

I get an email from CW this morning and its a new watch announcement! Yes - you've guessed it - yet ANOTHER C60 derivative, this time its the C60 Anthropocene GMT!

This exactly illustrates my point when I created this topic! Its the same, same old , same old from CW. Yes it looks very nice, but its another C60, different dial, another version of the Sellita movements (what's happened to the SH21?), new strap colour, and that's it.

You can defend it all you like - but I think I'm going to cry! Just do something different guys!
Just a quick observation here, and I’m in no way, shape or form a CW fanboy these days so no bias here, but how many versions of the Aquis do Oris bring out and nobody is accusing them of anything. It’s their mainstay watch so they create as many different variants as they please, as CW seem to be doing with the Trident. Reason = they sell, pure and simple.
If you want multiple versions Chris I think you will find that Oris are way behind on the nursery slopes.

Approximately 1500 versions of the DateJust is where the real variety lies.

It’s the way to go I reckon. :)

Well they are the Brand’s best selling models by a country mile.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

ssholloway21 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:20 pm I realize after getting into watches that no one is every happy with any watch. Sad to say I do this myself now, always looking for the flaw or something negative.
I think you’ve hit on a great point there. We are a weird breed! It’s not often you’ll hear ‘it’s fantastic, I wouldn’t change a thing’. Usually it’s ‘if it was this or that I’d buy it’ etc.. It seems as though most of us immediately go looking for negative points and work from there.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

nbg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:44 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:33 pm
johnnyhomersimpson wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:26 pm So here's the thing...

I get an email from CW this morning and its a new watch announcement! Yes - you've guessed it - yet ANOTHER C60 derivative, this time its the C60 Anthropocene GMT!

This exactly illustrates my point when I created this topic! Its the same, same old , same old from CW. Yes it looks very nice, but its another C60, different dial, another version of the Sellita movements (what's happened to the SH21?), new strap colour, and that's it.

You can defend it all you like - but I think I'm going to cry! Just do something different guys!
Just a quick observation here, and I’m in no way, shape or form a CW fanboy these days so no bias here, but how many versions of the Aquis do Oris bring out and nobody is accusing them of anything. It’s their mainstay watch so they create as many different variants as they please, as CW seem to be doing with the Trident. Reason = they sell, pure and simple.
If you want multiple versions Chris I think you will find that Oris are way behind on the nursery slopes.

Approximately 1500 versions of the DateJust is where the real variety lies.

It’s the way to go I reckon. :)

Well they are the Brand’s best selling models by a country mile.

Neil
I was trying to compare divers, Neil. Oh, and, just to prove a point on the ‘always looking at a negative’, here goes my take on the datejust - if it didn’t have a cyclops I’d be interested :lol: :lol:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Bloody hell Chris 1500 versions and you’re still not happy! :lol:

A chisel and a steady hand would sort the cyclops. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

nbg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:51 pm A chisel and a steady hand would sort the cyclops. :)
Or a Brummagem Screwdriver. Ar, that’s smashin’ aer kid!
Steve

downer

Post by downer »

TigerChris wrote:
ssholloway21 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:20 pm I realize after getting into watches that no one is every happy with any watch. Sad to say I do this myself now, always looking for the flaw or something negative.
I think you’ve hit on a great point there. We are a weird breed! It’s not often you’ll hear ‘it’s fantastic, I wouldn’t change a thing’. Usually it’s ‘if it was this or that I’d buy it’ etc.. It seems as though most of us immediately go looking for negative points and work from there.
It’s an inbuilt defence mechanism - to prevent us spending money on more watches we don’t need…
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

downer wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:08 pm It’s an inbuilt defence mechanism - to prevent us spending money on more watches we don’t need…
As defences go, it’s about as good as Arsenal or Norwich.
Steve

Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

johnnyhomersimpson wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:58 pm

I've got two children to tell off at home, I don't have a need to do the same with strangers on the internet. It was a simple statement of fact with no finger wagging. We can only appreciate brands for what they are.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

If I look at the CW timeline in the CWArchives I see plenty of different models, in different cases, in multiple colors, different sizes, and in all categories.

I would say that, CW is not of the size, such as Rolex and the other major brands, that they can afford to keep producing and/or maintain slow turning items in stock if they are nor selling adequately to get a profitable return.

In the NPD T4 thread, many are asking for more color variety. I would point out that in 2015 with the launch of the C60 Trident MK II, CW released the C60 in over 200 variations including sizes and colors over 4 months. By the end of year the majority were already clearanced. CW only kept the ones that sold well in the lineup. It was a inventory nightmare for CW at that time.

The point here is that if it doesn't sell or sell well, CW must move on to something that does, regardless of category. That's how they make a profit.
Niche pieces are nice and will sell for the most part, but innovation development takes time and money.

Times and trends change. CW will adapt when and where they see fit. They have already tried to please everyone. I think they truly realized they could not when they decided to drop the ladies collections. Of course it doesn't mean they won't revisit areas again.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
johnnyhomersimpson

Post by johnnyhomersimpson »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:07 pm
I've got two children to tell off at home, I don't have a need to do the same with strangers on the internet. It was a simple statement of fact with no finger wagging. We can only appreciate brands for what they are.

Good for you. Lets cool it my friend... At the end of the day we've all got better things to do than misinterpret what each other was meaning, or take things the wrong way and get into battles that look pretty pointless - this isn't pistonheads!

I don't know you, you don't know me, and no-one really cares... at the end of the day, I just call it as I see it... but if I see another C60 special edition - I will cry! VIVE LA FORUM!