Drew
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Re: Oh what a dilemma!

Post by Leon O »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:00 pm
downer wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:24 pm From previous posts I seem to remember this is not about money, but rather more about a perception that additional watches somehow diminish the importance of the watch your wife gifted you?

If so, your will be in this situation forever - unless you can reframe the gift watch as something that ignited your passion for watches, meaning that additional watches are more of an extension of the original gift than a dilution of it.

Or something…
You are correct, and that is the exact line of thinking I’m working on!
Inform your Mrs. This watch is what you would like for your next celebration: birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc... And promise to wait until she gives it to you.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Ooooh, grey JKB. One of the CWs I wish I’d had!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I won a charity auction, honey. The money goes to rehome li’l orphan puppy dogs in São Paulo.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

I get it. My wife bought me a Speedmaster. A few months later I bought me a C60. Fortunately she doesn't pay much attention and hasn't noticed that now I rarely wear the Omega but I do worry that if I pick up another watch she might get upset.

Maybe you should push it as a "bargain". My wife use to tell me how much I saved when she would come home from shopping. For some reason if it is a good sale it is unreasonable not to buy it.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

You could point out that we’ve discussed on the forum before that men seem to ‘collect’ more than women, and that therefore the urge to do so is innate rather than any rejection of what she feels about your special watch.

Or that may sound a bit like mansplaining and get you in more trouble..... :?
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:21 pm Maybe if I get her liquored up then mention it?… :lol:

AFD3FED5-6C9A-40CD-8D10-07B46E017F05.jpeg
That’s a very “old fashioned” strategy :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Gripper
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Gripper »

Best tell her, you'll only end up feeling like this next week even if you hide it away in the watch box! :lol:

bs5.jpg
Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia on Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image placed inline
Mark
So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I bought a watch travel pouch once. Imagine my surprise when I found out the seller had left a watch inside and didn’t want it back.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
CM23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 8

Post by CM23 »

It seems crazy not to go for it. At least if you're asked, "is that a new watch", your answer is truthfully "no". How you follow that up will determine your destiny :D
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

The problem Andrew is that you don't have enough watches so that she has not lost track....works for me!

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I held my late wife in my arms when she died, I was widowed young with two boys left to raise. A few years later I met a young widow with two girls. To cut a long story we fell in love, got married and formed our version of the Bradly Bunch.

Being widowed has shaped our marriage. We have no dark secrets nor deceptions, only surprises. Despite feeling poorly my wife wants to accompany me to Park Street next month. She saw my reaction to the C60 #tide and wants to buy the watch for me. However, my priority is for Coral to be well and it’s her happiness that comes first.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

If I'm reading this thread correctly, then the issue is that your wife has bought you a special watch and she would (possibly) be affronted if you spread your watch affections a little wider? Surely the thing about a special watch is that it needs to be looked after? So having another that you can wear at work and not worry about damage erc. will help keep that watch "special"? I don't wear my best shoes for gardening, nor my gardening boots for a meal at a nice hotel.
Married 35 years in case you were wondering!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Richard D wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:55 am I held my late wife in my arms when she died, I was widowed young with two boys left to raise. A few years later I met a young widow with two girls. To cut a long story we fell in love, got married and formed our version of the Bradly Bunch.

Being widowed has shaped our marriage. We have no dark secrets nor deceptions, only surprises. Despite feeling poorly my wife wants to accompany me to Park Street next month. She saw my reaction to the C60 #tide and wants to buy the watch for me. However, my priority is for Coral to be well and it’s her happiness that comes first.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful story, Richard, and for clarifying my priorities. This would be an impulse buy driven by location and price - hardly worth the disappointment it might cause my wife, as there would be nothing special to this watch. I’ll wait and cash some chips in on something special for retirement. She’ll be supportive of that. A Reverso perhaps?!

And anyway, I honestly like the look of my modded Seiko better.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. This was a fun thread to read.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

There's an alternative solution to Andrew's angst. :-k :-k

Will another forum member please buy this watch! :lol: :lol:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England