100M waterproof vs 150M water resistant?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

I was lusting after the Sealander and I started to look at the watches that inspired it. I noticed that the Explorer is 100M "waterproof" while the Sealander is 150M water resistant. Those terms are a little confusing to me. How does that compare? I assume either could take a swim down to 60 feet or so? I'm not planning on doing that nor do I plan on buying an Explorer but I could easily see myself picking up the Sealander in the future.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Re: 100M waterproof vs 150M water resistant?

Post by Lawrence »

Does this help?

Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

It's just slightly different terminology that means the same thing (clearly the depth ratings are different).

For clarity, I've bathed both my kids with my 150m rated C65 on and also with my 100m rated Explorer (once even with the crown unscrewed). Both watches manage this fine and no jelly fish get inside.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Waterproof and water resistant do not mean the same thing. This is a common misconception. Probably because very few watch brands are prepared to risk stating their watches as being waterproof.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I think it's just semantics.

Resisting water or being impenetrable to a specified depth means the same thing in my book.
Ryan
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ It really doesn’t Ryan.

There are specific tests that brands who view their watches as waterproof perform.

For most people there is of course no practical difference.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:36 am For most people there is of course no practical difference.
Most people and practical being the operative terms there, Neil.

If I have a watch with 150 m or 200 m WR and a screwdown crown then I can be fairly confident it will survive any wetting that I would be likely to give it. Basically the odd shower when I forget to take it off, or the top metre or so of a swimming pool!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
sjedwardz
Junior
Junior

Post by sjedwardz »

My wife keeps asking me to be careful when jumping in the shower with my Omega Seamaster.

I have to remind her every time that it’s rated to 300m and saturation diving. I can’t swim and the deepest I get to s nipple height so think I’m safe!

A lot of manufacturers used to use the moniker waterproof on dials in the 60s and 70s but changed this to the proper definition of water resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

I appreciate the answers. I don't think "proof" and "resistant" are the same thing and the chart above doesn't actually cover the depth rating. I am not sure what half a scuba dive is if that is what they are trying to say with marking it at 150.

I suppose honestly it is immaterial as it is a lovely watch and I suspect it is water-tight enough to withstand a good swim if it had to. If it isn't then they do make a GMT diver if I really need to be sure.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Those pointing out that waterproof and water resistant are different things are entirely correct. A "waterproof" jacket should keep you dry whilst you'll eventually get wet in a "water resistant" jacket. Whether an actual waterproof jacket exists is another matter.

However, as far as these watches go the terminology "means" the same thing to you and I. The only difference is that Rolex are quite happy and confident enough to state that theirs is actually waterproof and not just water resistant. I've a feeling this is part of joined up thinking with their marketing of the waterproof oyster case.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

I’ll admit to being a bit scared of taking my C65 GMT with 150m water resistance swimming, this is mostly because of the lack of screw down crown
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
CM23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 8

Post by CM23 »

This has been interesting to follow. I found this and thought it might be useful, though Kip's links are also very good: https://mondaine.com/blogs/news/waterpr ... -resistant
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

I just realized that their calculations are off by 1 atm although clearly they don't mean that 30 meters should be taken to 30 meters. It should be noted that at 30 meters of water you are at 4 atm, not 3. :lol:
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

johncolescarr wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:57 pm I’ll admit to being a bit scared of taking my C65 GMT with 150m water resistance swimming, this is mostly because of the lack of screw down crown
That's just daft. It's no more or less water resistant to 150m than a watch with a screw down crown.