C60 Anthropocene GMT

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: C60 Anthropocene GMT

Post by JAFO »

I didn't mind the word brand at 9, and I don't mind it at 12. I like the modern san serif font.
I wouldn't mind just an applied twin flags logo at 12 either. Not many brands fail to carry a brand name, although the twin flags may be unique enough to work on its own.

I think if you compare the Rolex+crown, and the Omega+greek letter with the CW logo, you can see that the real issue (in my opinion) is really just caused by the length and size of the "Christopher Ward" brand name, and all the iterations have been to deal with presenting the brand name. At some point you do just have to stop making changes. Maybe just WARD and the twin flags. or CHRISTOPHER WARD in a smaller all caps font on one line plus the twin flags. (rather like Vacheron Constantin, and many others). Roughly, get the whole "christopher ward" in the space currently occupied by "christopher"

It's just hard to suit everyone though.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by albionphoto »

It's the nicest of the sapphire watches so far, IMO. Not sure what original "anthropocene" owners will feel as it's closer to that original than than the C60 #tide is to the Blue. Hopefully these two will put an end to the sudden "Greatest Hits Remastered" phase.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Omega, and Oris
biggus_richus
Guru
Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:16 pm Not sure what original "anthropocene" owners will feel as it's closer to that original than than the C60 #tide is to the Blue. Hopefully these two will put an end to the sudden "Greatest Hits Remastered" phase.
Can't say I agree with that; the two Anthropocenes are at least different model lines with different dial materials, whereas the #tide and the BLUE are both mk3 c60s, albeit in different sizes. Even the bronze C60 Ombres differ in their mk2 and mk3 variance.

Absolutely agree with the "Greatest Hits Remastered" sentiment though. I was hoping to see new colours in the C63 and Super Compressor lines and a revival in the C65 line. I think there's still mileage in the handwound design with bold 12/6 numerals.
Rich.

CW | Garmin | Marloe | Omega | Oris | Pinion | Seiko | Tag Heuer | Timex
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Happy to see branding at twelve on both these new releases, should widen CW's market.

I'd agree with the sentiment of a few here that just the twin flags logo would be enough, cleaner and more striking.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ I’m not so sure the 12 o’clock branding is widening the market like people thought it would. People are just finding something else to complain about, like they always will. And of those that complained in the past that have commented that they like these new models with the “better” branding, many aren’t putting money where their mouth is.

Only time will tell I guess.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 SC|C65 316L LE|C60 mk3 GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:13 pm ^^^ I’m not so sure the 12 o’clock branding is widening the market like people thought it would. People are just finding something else to complain about, like they always will. And of those that complained in the past that have commented that they like these new models with the “better” branding, many aren’t putting money where their mouth is.

There are many other reasons why people don't buy a particular design of watch.

My finger has been poised over the Add to Cart button on this watch (the screw heads are what holds me back) and the C63GMT (not keen on stainless bezels). Neither of those things is 'finding something else to complain about', it's a matter of personal taste and open to comment.

So, I wouldn't read too much into it just yet. As I always reckoned, few bought because of the wordmark at 9 but I bet many didn't because of it.

If the right watch comes along, I'm open to returning to the fold.
WatchChat on Facebook - The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by nbg »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:09 pm How funny is this .............. :lol: :lol:

On both this thread and the C60 tide thread the negative comments are now that the name logo is at 12. What a turn around from when these were that the name logo was at 9 (of which I made a few :D ).

Hilarious.
One swallow doesn’t make a summer! :lol:

There is one person on this thread who has said it is a mistake to move the word mark from 9 to 12.

On the tide thread there is also one. Not many really.

Well even less, given that the one on the tide thread was mine. :)
nbg wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:20 pm ^^^ Well Ryan I am really disappointed at the sell out.

Altering the core Trident design language of word mark at 9 and sticking it at the uncool position of 12. What were they thinking of! :)

Neil
Which was of course just my sense of humour, as someone who has only bought two CWs in the past five years - Dartmouth and Super Compressor…

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 pm
ajax87 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:13 pm ^^^ I’m not so sure the 12 o’clock branding is widening the market like people thought it would. People are just finding something else to complain about, like they always will. And of those that complained in the past that have commented that they like these new models with the “better” branding, many aren’t putting money where their mouth is.

There are many other reasons why people don't buy a particular design of watch.

My finger has been poised over the Add to Cart button on this watch (the screw heads are what holds me back) and the C63GMT (not keen on stainless bezels). Neither of those things is 'finding something else to complain about', it's a matter of personal taste and open to comment.

So, I wouldn't read too much into it just yet. As I always reckoned, few bought because of the wordmark at 9 but I bet many didn't because of it.

If the right watch comes along, I'm open to returning to the fold.
Understood, that makes sense and clarifies what I was thinking. I guess my main thought was that the logo placement is just one small piece of the whole design, and changing it isn’t a guarantee to make any meaningful impact on sales because of all the other design points that might also not appeal. Maybe sales figures for this year will tell a different story.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C60 Sapphire|C60 Abyss|C65 SC|C65 316L LE|C60 mk3 GMT|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster racing|Hamilton Intramatic chrono|Shinola Runwell auto|Tissot|Timex|RZE Endeavor
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

nbg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:18 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:09 pm How funny is this .............. :lol: :lol:

On both this thread and the C60 tide thread the negative comments are now that the name logo is at 12. What a turn around from when these were that the name logo was at 9 (of which I made a few :D ).

Hilarious.
One swallow doesn’t make a summer! :lol:

There is one person on this thread who has said it is a mistake to move the word mark from 9 to 12.

On the tide thread there is also one. Not many really.

Well even less, given that the one on the tide thread was mine. :)
nbg wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:20 pm ^^^ Well Ryan I am really disappointed at the sell out.

Altering the core Trident design language of word mark at 9 and sticking it at the uncool position of 12. What were they thinking of! :)

Neil
Which was of course just my sense of humour, as someone who has only bought two CWs in the past five years - Dartmouth and Super Compressor…

Neil
Neil, I was sure there were more when I read the threads first time, so much so that I've just read through all the pages again and you are indeed correct :oops: I didn't even count your post either as I was sure that was a "tongue in cheek" comment and the other 2 comments were from the same person !

Maybe it was just my wishful thinking that the numbers would balance out the number of times I moaned about the 9o'clock location :lol:
On second thoughts maybe there's not much chance of that :lol: :oops:
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by nbg »

^^^ Maybe it will end up as a “good things come to those that wait” re. the final position of the word mark. :)

I reckon it will be evident by the end of the year.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Well, CW have said that the Sealander was their most successful launch yet, see Kip on page 15:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56722&hilit=sealander&start=210

Mere coincidence that branding is at 12? Now, I am not saying that branding alone makes all the difference but an irritant removed.....?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ I still think people are making more of it than what it is. An irritant for some was removed. And of those “some”, how many then didn’t buy because of the case size, or some other aspect of the watch? And even if those “some” didn’t have any other issues with the watch, how many were actually in a position to buy, and actually pulled the trigger?

We know the watch was a big hit, for many reasons. An entirely new line, a departure from the heavy dive watch focus. That’s where the success most likely lies.
Alex
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:41 pm ^^^ I still think people are making more of it than what it is. An irritant for some was removed. And of those “some”, how many then didn’t buy because of the case size, or some other aspect of the watch? And even if those “some” didn’t have any other issues with the watch, how many were actually in a position to buy, and actually pulled the trigger?

And we'll never know for what reasons people did or didn't buy.

At least there are now some decent watches that should suit people logo-wise.
If they don't buy then it's other aspects of the design that doesn't have sufficient attraction.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:41 pm ^^^ I still think people are making more of it than what it is. An irritant for some was removed. And of those “some”, how many then didn’t buy because of the case size, or some other aspect of the watch? And even if those “some” didn’t have any other issues with the watch, how many were actually in a position to buy, and actually pulled the trigger?

We know the watch was a big hit, for many reasons. An entirely new line, a departure from the heavy dive watch focus. That’s where the success most likely lies.
Even though your words were, I think, directed to the Sealander they apply equally well to the C65 Anthropocene.
C60 MKI COSC black, MKI black GMT,
C60 MKII Day Date LE, GMT White, LE SH21 x2, ACAN, Bronze Ombre LE,
C60 MKIII Ombre COSC, Elite 1000 GMT,
C6 K'fisher x6,
C60 K'fisher x3
C600 Tritech x 3,
C63 Elite
C65 Anthropocene. Blue h/w,
Raisinbranner

Post by Raisinbranner »

Absolutely beautiful, just lose those fixing screws. Why?