Will there be future hand-wound models?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Leon O
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

Will there be future hand-wound models?

Post by Leon O »

The recent C65 divetimer models were reported to use the last of Christopher Ward's Selitta SW210 hand-wound movements. Does that mean Christopher Ward will not be producing any more hand-wound models?

Leon
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Re: Will there be future hand-wound models?

Post by Toph »

Potentially in the standard line , but no certainty.
The Sh21 has a manual wind variant too, and I’m fairly confident that will likely be used in a model or 2 going forward.
Cheers
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
Leon O
Guru
Guru

Post by Leon O »

Toph wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:39 am Potentially in the standard line , but no certainty.
The Sh21 has a manual wind variant too, and I’m fairly confident that will likely be used in a model or 2 going forward.
Cheers
I'm hoping there will be more in the standard line, perhaps with a C65 or C63 case. I enjoy the mornig routine of winding my C65 Trident Diver when it comes up in my weekly rotation. Anything in the Sh21 line would probably be outside of my budget.

Thanks

Leon
Surf609nj

Post by Surf609nj »

Leon O wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:01 pm
Toph wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:39 am Potentially in the standard line , but no certainty.
Cheers
I'm hoping there will be more in the standard line, perhaps with a C65 or C63 case. I enjoy the mornig routine of winding my C65 Trident Diver when it comes up in my weekly rotation. Anything in the Sh21 line would probably be outside of my budget.

Thanks

Leon
Are there any other benefits to a hand wound watch? Are they more accurate or reliable? I’ve seen some are less expensive. I didn’t think I would enjoy a manual wound watch until reading this post. I enjoy the routine of winding the cuckoo clock.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

keeps the height down too
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Seiko SRPB43J1, C60 Trident, Casio G Shock 2327, Garmin Vivoactive
Leon O
Guru
Guru

Post by Leon O »

Surf609nj wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:18 pm
Leon O wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:01 pm
Cheers

Thanks

Leon
Are there any other benefits to a hand wound watch? Are they more accurate or reliable? I’ve seen some are less expensive. I didn’t think I would enjoy a manual wound watch until reading this post. I enjoy the routine of winding the cuckoo clock.
I have a C65 Trident Diver Hand Wound has been about 2 to 3 seconds fast. That's plenty accurate for me.
jayin07

Post by jayin07 »

Just want C65 Trident Diver on board again :(

Love that design.
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

I prefer a manually wound watch over an auto. I have several Unitas powered watches which I love.
thomcat00
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by thomcat00 »

Unless I missed it, I don’t see the hand wound 210 movement in Sellita’s current offerings. That could explain why the Divetimer was a special edition to push the last of the 210 stock out the door.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

I had a quick look and they are in the 215 family group not the 200 family group.
Sinbad
Junior
Junior

Post by Sinbad »

I think that hand-wound mechanisms will have a future.
Undoubtedly, their diffusion has increased compared to a few years ago and many brands, including microbrands, are re-proposing them in their models in which a reduced thickness is an added value.
At the same time, I believe that CW's Dress offer is rather poor as there is not even a model smaller than 39mm in diameter.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 5

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m being a bit lazy quoting something I wrote last year. But it still applies, so here goes…
Back in time, watches never mentioned the movement type on the dial. They were hand wound. That was what you got.

When automatics came in, the word appeared on dials, as it was the latest must-have. Most automatics still have it (Rolex have Oyster Perpetual and Tudor have Rotor Self-Winding, I think)

Fast forward to the 70s. "Quartz" suddenly started appearing on the dials. Latest must-have.

Then at some point "Quartz" disappeared. "Automatic" didn't. "Hand Wound" never appeared in the first place, except for the odd "Handaufzug" from a German manufacturer.

I wonder at what point "Quartz" disappeared and why?

Have you ever wondered about that?
One side-effect of all the above, I believe, is that relative newcomers to the world of watches tend to talk about the choice between quartz and automatic. Rather as if automatic is being used as a synonym for mechanical.

Manual wind was definitely regarded as a bit old hat for a decade or two, but in some of the upper echelon brands it has never been fully superseded. It’s good to see the hand-wound watches making a bit of a resurgence, notably in Glashütte and some of the smaller Swiss houses.

There have been a few manual watches from CW over the years, most notably the C5 Slimline and the watches using the manual variant of the SH21. Whether they make a return remains to be seen.

It is still my favourite movement type, although in my modern collection the manuals are outnumbered by automatics these days.
Steve
Linguistic sophist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by CBMVic20 »

The C8 Power Reserve is the one CW watch I wanted but never bought because it was hand wind only :(

Don't mind any future hand wound models as long as there is an automatic equivalent.
CW C8 World Timer | C9 5-Day | C11 Extreme | C40 Speedhawk | C60 Pro MkII x2 | C60 Pro SH21 | C65 SH21
Marc & Sons MSD-046 Yellow
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Seiko 5 Sports Auto Orange
Tag F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

CBMVic20 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:55 pm The C8 Power Reserve is the one CW watch I wanted but never bought because it was hand wind only :(
That is a great shame because IMHO, you missed out on CW's best design, though the C9SS (also HW) is right up there. Obviously both are rather retro, but on the C8 the HW movement means only 11mm height, so what is a big watch wears beautifully and the HW action is anyway gloriously smooth.

Though I too prefer autos (I can just stick them on the winder if necessary) I do have two hand crankers not counting pocket watches:

C8PR
Zenith Chronomaster

Both are delightful, so that I could happily live with these two as my only watches (well, add in a beater) and find the hand winding not a problem at all. In fact, some would say it builds a closer relationship with the watch.

Each to his own of course 8)
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by CBMVic20 »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:18 pm That is a great shame because IMHO, you missed out on CW's best design, though the C9SS (also HW) is right up there. Obviously both are rather retro, but on the C8 the HW movement means only 11mm height, so what is a big watch wears beautifully and the HW action is anyway gloriously smooth.

Though I too prefer autos (I can just stick them on the winder if necessary) I do have two hand crankers not counting pocket watches:

C8PR
Zenith Chronomaster

Both are delightful, so that I could happily live with these two as my only watches (well, add in a beater) and find the hand winding not a problem at all. In fact, some would say it builds a closer relationship with the watch.

Each to his own of course 8)
I had a hand wound for a few months but I wear watches on my right wrist so taking it off to wind up was a faff. I'd often forget to do this and then wonder why I was late for appointments :roll:

Could probably live with the C8 as it has a PR but I read somewhere on the forum that it takes up to 300 winds for a full charge :-k
CW C8 World Timer | C9 5-Day | C11 Extreme | C40 Speedhawk | C60 Pro MkII x2 | C60 Pro SH21 | C65 SH21
Marc & Sons MSD-046 Yellow
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Seiko 5 Sports Auto Orange
Tag F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(