CW Watch suddenly way off. Need suggestions.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bearcatrunner

CW Watch suddenly way off. Need suggestions.

Post by bearcatrunner »

So I bought a Christopher Ward c60 trident elite black 1000 which is a titanium watch a couple of weeks ago. It is a chronometer and cosc certified and at first it was dead on time with the titanium bracelet. Once I realized I like the watch I purchased the rubber OEM band which is black and red to match. I swear ever since I put that band on the watch is now off 20 to 30 seconds per day.

I've considered purchasing this demagnetizer thinking that might be the problem. Could it be the strap? Does that make any sense? I don't have a bunch of money to spend on a demagnetizer so this is about as much as I could justify on my watch collection. Any thoughts? Can I return it to CW under the 60 days free return policy. I've been wearing it but really don't want to lose my watch for a month or two.

YaeTek Professional Watch Demagnetizer/magnetizer Demagnetization Machine Watchmaker Repair Tool
Visit the YaeTek Store
4.5 out of 5 stars 42 ratings
Price: $38.99 & FREE Returns

Voltage: US 110V
Frequency: 50-60 Hz
The Width of the opening : 60mm (about 2.4")
Maximum period of switching-on: 1 minute (60 seconds)
With built-in switch button
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: CW Watch suddenly way off. Need suggestions.

Post by Jcalder68 »

Sorry to hear of your problems!
Being magnetised does sound like a potential cause for the sudden change in timekeeping. Wear and tear usually causes a gradual shift in accuracy, but getting magnetised will give you a sudden change.
Have you tried waving a compass near both the watch and the new strap? If either is magnetised then the compass needle will go nuts as you get it close to the offending item.
Saying that though, I find it odd to think what a strap much the magnetised? I know some metal Apple Watch straps have a magnetic “clasp” to secure them, but I can’t think of many others off the top of my head.
Did the watch get any type of knock or was it dropped during strap changing? This might affect timing too.
It might also be worth contacting your local jewellers to see if they offer de-magnetising, that would save you a long wait in returning it to CW.
Let us know what you find out,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I'm wondering where you might have had the watch when changing the strap: near a computer/laptop for example?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Many factors can impact the timekeeping such as your level of activity, pattern of wear and how you leave the watch when you take it off. Such a sudden change may be down to demagnitisation as you explain.

The simple blue boxes should work fine and are priced at around $12.

As you appear non-uk, and don't want to wait for CW to have to check it which could take a while I'd go for the blue box. There is plenty of talk on here of them solving this type of issue.

Good luck, hope you get it resolved soon.
bearcatrunner

Post by bearcatrunner »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:15 pm I'm wondering where you might have had the watch when changing the strap: near a computer/laptop for example?
Actually I did have it by the laptop at the time of changing but I am always wearing the watch while using the laptop like right now typing this.
bearcatrunner

Post by bearcatrunner »

A1soknownas wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:27 pm Many factors can impact the timekeeping such as your level of activity, pattern of wear and how you leave the watch when you take it off. Such a sudden change may be down to demagnitisation as you explain.

The simple blue boxes should work fine and are priced at around $12.

As you appear non-uk, and don't want to wait for CW to have to check it which could take a while I'd go for the blue box. There is plenty of talk on here of them solving this type of issue.

Good luck, hope you get it resolved soon.
I do like the price of the blue box a lot better. On WatchUseek they really warn to stay away from the blue box. I was thinking since this is a thicker watch that would probably be a bad idea/waste of money. However, I'm a big fan if it has worked for a lot of other people on the forum.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I've not heard of the boxes causing any damage, more people saying they have not worked. I've have one and it worked fine.

I doubt you would see any physical damage and if that solution did not work you could return to CW for a repair anyway if it is operating out of spec.

If you don't have a compass there are lots of free magnetic testing apps on apple/android you could try to see if it detects anything before taking your next steps.
Will_75
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Will_75 »

My C60 Elite 1000 only performs poorly when either magnetised or when less than 50% wound

I have been told that springbars are little buggers for arriving magnetised - at least one friend runs every new strap through a demagnetiser as soon as they come through the door
CWE admin and all round watch nerd. Usually found irresponsibly browsing the sales page.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Take the watch to a local jeweler for demagnetizing. My shop didn’t even charge me the one time I had a magnetized watch. The watch has been fine since.

And it was me mistakenly setting the watch near the stereo speakers.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A1soknownas wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:27 pm I've not heard of the boxes causing any damage, more people saying they have not worked. I've have one and it worked fine.
I think there was some doubt expressed on a thread about the cheaper ones from eBay. Apparently someone said they were dangerously wired. @Bahnstormer_vRS (Guy) bought one from a reputable company, might have been Cousins, and said it did the job just fine.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JeremyS
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by JeremyS »

First choice would be taking it to a local jeweler with a deguasser. I would decline any offer to open the case and inspect the movement. If the deguasser doesn’t have any affect after a few days of consistent (8hrs) wear, then back to the mothership it must go.

Second choice would be to purchase a degausser. Consider it an investment if you own multiple automatic watches. Magnets are everywhere these days, and it’s unlikely you would only have occasion to use it this one time.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:52 pm I think there was some doubt expressed on a thread about the cheaper ones from eBay. Apparently someone said they were dangerously wired. @Bahnstormer_vRS (Guy) bought one from a reputable company, might have been Cousins, and said it did the job just fine.
Didn't realise that, always a chance when buying such a product I guess. I recall feeling cautious buying a cheap one from Amazon but luckily it did the job and most of the reviews at the time were favourable apart from those who said it just didn't cure the issue.

It would be desirable to be able to pay more for one but as a quick solution to a problem it might be worth a go. Otherwise a quick check in with a watch repairer or sending back to CW are other options. Of course, I would always recommend that you probably shouldn't take the chance with a Patek and also to wear full body protective clothing just in case it blows up... :explode:
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I’ve read a couple of posts on here about using apps on your phone, I may be wrong but I was always lead to believe that a phone can magnetise your watch :?
rarebritishartglass
Junior
Junior

Post by rarebritishartglass »

An app sounds dodgy given the possible effects of magnetism from the phone itself, also be wary of Dyson fans that have massive magnets in them, caught me out a few times!!
My top 10 \ Favourite CW’s.....
C60 Elite LE | C60 5 Day LE | C60 Beast | C60 Bronze Ombré Chronometer (mk3) | C9 5 Day (White) | C60 Sapphire (Blue) | Standard C60 Black\Black mk3 | C60 Chr Red\White | C60 Chr Blue\White | Abyss for stealth.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

kiter65 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:49 pm I’ve read a couple of posts on here about using apps on your phone, I may be wrong but I was always lead to believe that a phone can magnetise your watch :?
True, I think there is a small chance that can happen with a phone. However, the only risk I see would be if the watch is not already magnetised.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend using an app routinely to check, but if there is already an issue with time keeping you don't have much to lose. The app on the phone will confirm magnetisation and even if it makes it slightly worse, it will confirm what you have to do next...That's my theory anyway :think:.