LE Registry

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

LE Registry

Post by thomcat00 »

Has there been thought to hosting a registry for the limited editions and prototypes produced by Christopher Ward? I for one would like to see and learn about the prototypes that have made their way into the public. There are some very interesting design considerations over the years. Also with respect to the limited editions, I have a Sandstorm and an Anthropocene. I’ve been hot for one of the C65 black and gold watches for some time (I’ve missed out on postings in both the January and the July sales :( but I’m still hoping!) and would love to get one on my wrist.

I think it would be interesting to know where these watches have gone around the world. Anyone else curious?
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: LE Registry

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Might not be easy.
  • Not all owners of LE and prototype watches are necessarily regular forum members.
  • Even if they are, they may not be willing to divulge their identity and/or whereabouts.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:53 pm Might not be easy.
  • Not all owners of LE and prototype watches are necessarily regular forum members.
  • Even if they are, they may not be willing to divulge their identity and/or whereabouts.
Understood re: membership and privacy. I was just thinking it would be interesting, perhaps as an add on to the Archive, to see what prototypes CW made and released to the world.

As for an LE registry, it has been in play in the car world since pre-internet days and many transitioned to the web successfully. Not all will participate. Just wondering if anyone would find it interesting.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

It would most certainly make for an interesting addendum to the CWArchives.

I actually have a list of about 120 early pieces (through 2014) that are prototypes and pre production models. unfortunately I do not have photos and the list is very far from complete. This was a consideration for the CWA, but it was deemed not feasible due to the volume of protos over the years and not having photos available. Sadly most of this information regarding prototypes is permanently lost.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

One of the difficulties of captivating the required data for an LE register, is finding the owners of the watches.

I don't think it has been mentioned for a while on here (the Forum) but anecdotally Forum Members account for only around 2% of CW buyers/customers.

Consider therefore an LE model of 150 pieces and you can reckon on only 3 pieces being owned by Forum Members. This I feel is born out by the number of Forum Members who have bought CW's latest LE, the C65 DiveTimer.

Moving onto Prototypes the ratio/percentage might be a little higher as they are likely to be bought by 'the enthusiast' who is more likely to be a forum member.

If you would like to see some of the Prototypes owned by Forum Members there is always the CW Prototypes Topic within the Forum's Reference Gallery; dependant, of course, on Forum Members posting photos in the first place.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
CM23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 8

Post by CM23 »

It's a really interesting idea, and you often see people 'checking in' with LEs. I guess it also comes down to what information would be useful vs what people are happy to give.