US Customs Help

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
bearcatrunner

US Customs Help

Post by bearcatrunner »

So I purchased a CW Elite 1000 Black off of the Sale for 1325 dollars and it is in customs right now. They want me to fill out a customs watch worksheet. Not sure what to do about this? As I understand it the movement is taxed the least amount and I figure the strap is worth $300 but since I got the watch on sale maybe $250. The Case another $50 and then the battery $10? So that makes the movement worth around $1,000.

The question is should I submit that? I sent a message to CW support but they are closed on Sunday and I also tried to call. As I understand it for everyday customs holds it they charge $5 more. Thoughts or suggestions?

Clocks and Watches Worksheet
Clocks and watches are classified according to the four individual components that are reported to U.S. Customs (case, movement, strap and battery). Since each of these parts has its own particular value (and therefore a different duty rate), clocks and watches are among the most complicated items when it comes to determining tariffs. Each element must be accounted for, and then the sum of the assigned values of the four parts represents the total value of the watch.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: US Customs Help

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Posted recently on another thread;-
rkovars wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:01 pm
JeremyS wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:52 pm Thanks for the warm welcome. I just received the dreaded (for US customers, at least) “on hold” notification on DHl’s tracking site. After a bit of searching, I believe some mild customs and handling extortion might be forthcoming. I didn’t realize that had become such an issue.
It is hit or miss probably depending on the particular person who handles the parcel. I've had some sail through with no issues and my wife had one nearly go back because it wasn't getting sorted. CW sends the paperwork to DHL every day electronically and it seems like if someone doesn't know this they just see no paperwork and throw you on hold. You should get a text/email from DHL with payment information for import duty due (anything over $800 US on watches - this should be each watch too not total parcel value). If you don't see the email don't bother calling DHL. They will try to get you to fill out the paperwork yourself. You should contact CW support and let them know what is going on. They will sort it out. If it is within the operating hours of CW a quick phone call would be even better.
Hope this helps.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

So I got this when I purchased my Super Compressor two months ago. I waiting 24hrs and CW updated it with DHL. I imagine CW will fix tomorrow morning when they open. I have only imported one watch so but pretty sure it is their responsibility. By the way I was kinda shocked on how much DHL charged me for fees. $15 advanced pay fee, $35 processing fee, and then the customs charges.

If you get a hold charge charged to you, CW should reimburse you because it is their responsibility (I believe). Good luck, it will all work out!
zeedubbya

Post by zeedubbya »

I was under the impression DHL had/or gets the information from CWL and they (DHL) send you a bill for the assessment. My guess is the weekend has messed this up a bit.

When I bought my C60 they were quick about emailing me to let me know I had to pay and how much. Went through a link they provided and paid it, and yes the duty is low, but the fees DHL charge is quite a lot. Made me wonder if there was some way to pay the duty ahead to Customs so DHL didn’t have to charge the fees. I went looking around and it sounds like there is just no way around it, except to pay what DHL says and move on.
Zane

CWL C60 600 MK3 & MK2
CWL C65 Trident Auto
CWL C63 Bladk and Lucerne
CWL C3 Morgan Chronograph
CWL C3 Malvern White
Rolex DJ 41 Blue Dial
Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 White
Omega Seamaster AT 2503.50 Black
Omega Seamaster AT Ryder Cup
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

The best thing to do is contact CW customer service by phone as soon as possible. They will pass it to the logistics team who will send the information to DHL (again). Once DHL have the information they will process it properly.

Do this quickly because if you leave it too late then you can become liable for customs storage fees. I don't recommend filling out the form as that usually increases the amount of import duty you have to pay. I expect your total fee to be about $105 - $115 US dollars.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

Looks like i owe almost $100 in customs for one of the watches i picked up during the sale. I was wondering if i decide to return the watch to CW (as i was already worried about the larger size) would I get a refund on the customs charges or am i just out the $100?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Not to complicate things, but that seems way like way too much. I just looked through my receipts and I paid $82.36 in duties to DHL in Feb on a declared value of $4250
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

Mine is $96.09 on an approximately $1300 watch. The breakdown is:
Import/Export Duties (L1) - $44.09
Adnance Payment (L2) - $17
Single Clearance (L3) - $35

Which all adds up to a total of $96.09. CW is the only manufacturer where i get hit with customs and its because they use DHL for some reason. Any other company and maybe youd get hit once in a while but usualky it slips through. With DHL they always hit you with the customs fees.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

DHL handling charges are approximately $40 of the total and there may be other fees. My $1695 C63 Sealander Elite cost me an additional $114 to get into the US. If I was going to return the watch I would be out the $114.
Mark
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Vicious49 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:19 am Looks like i owe almost $100 in customs for one of the watches i picked up during the sale. I was wondering if i decide to return the watch to CW (as i was already worried about the larger size) would I get a refund on the customs charges or am i just out the $100?
Customs charges are the responsibility of the buyer not the seller. CW will not reimburse you for them.
Mark
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:45 am Not to complicate things, but that seems way like way too much. I just looked through my receipts and I paid $82.36 in duties to DHL in Feb on a declared value of $4250
Duty is assessed per item not total declared value. So you if you ordered a bunch of watches only the watches over $800 would have duty assessed. It is roughly 7-10% + fees (Including a $1-2 fee up front on the processing by customs) of the total value up to a certain point (this is a rough number because it depends on the actual components and materials). If the total value of the watch was $4250 you were very lucky on that. Duty should have been higher.

I paid $130 on my Ombrè last year. Another factor to add to all of the confusion the assessment is somewhat subjective depending on the examiner and the schedule is updated yearly so the percentages change. It can be very frustrating.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

albionphoto wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:05 pm
Vicious49 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:19 am Looks like i owe almost $100 in customs for one of the watches i picked up during the sale. I was wondering if i decide to return the watch to CW (as i was already worried about the larger size) would I get a refund on the customs charges or am i just out the $100?
Customs charges are the responsibility of the buyer not the seller. CW will not reimburse you for them.
I wasn't expecting CW to refund it but wondering if DHL would refund the charges. I'm guessing it's highly unlikely but thought I'd ask anyways.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

^^^^I won't argue the point that I got off cheap on the duty. I was expecting to pay more, but certainly didn't have any reason to question the amount. I will try to do some more research on this. It is always a point of confusion here on the forum.
DHL, acting as the customs broker, collects the duty which is ultimately paid to US Customs. I believe, if there is a refund to be had, it would need to come from Customs.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:45 pm ^^^^I won't argue the point that I got off cheap on the duty. I was expecting to pay more, but certainly didn't have any reason to question the amount. I will try to do some more research on this. It is always a point of confusion here on the forum.
DHL, acting as the customs broker, collects the duty which is ultimately paid to US Customs. I believe, if there is a refund to be had, it would need to come from Customs.
I wouldn't have either! I would have paid that double quick before they changed their mind! :D
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:45 pm ^^^^I won't argue the point that I got off cheap on the duty. I was expecting to pay more, but certainly didn't have any reason to question the amount. I will try to do some more research on this. It is always a point of confusion here on the forum.
Trying to get money back from the gov't? Fat chance!! It's not worth the time and effort.