US Customs Help

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: US Customs Help

Post by watchaholic »

Well that would suck. Glad you had a work around. How about a pic in the "Non CW of the day".
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Mega_B

Post by Mega_B »

Done!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5973&p=872132#p872132

Actually it didn't suck, it was an LE of 300 and I was just happy to find one!
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

If I was to recommend a CW to anyone in the US (and I live in NJ) I would feel obliged to mention the import duty. That ould certainly change someone's mind about a purchase. I believe that CW are are planning to have a system where you can pay duty upfront on their website. This can't come soon enough.

As a counterpoint... Visitors to the US will often be confused about the price of things. Sales tax is charged at the till and not advertised on the shelf. To an extent, US customers may expect that the final price of something is different from the advertised price. Unless you live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax (Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon; add your own jokes).
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Mega_B

Post by Mega_B »

albionphoto wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:18 pm If I was to recommend a CW to anyone in the US (and I live in NJ) I would feel obliged to mention the import duty. That ould certainly change someone's mind about a purchase. I believe that CW are are planning to have a system where you can pay duty upfront on their website. This can't come soon enough.

As a counterpoint... Visitors to the US will often be confused about the price of things. Sales tax is charged at the till and not advertised on the shelf. To an extent, US customers may expect that the final price of something is different from the advertised price. Unless you live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax (Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon; add your own jokes).
Good points!
I would say the difference (to me) is that in the US, the sales tax amount might be a shock, but at least you find out BEFORE you make the purchase.
In my case, I made a decision to purchase based on what I thought was the full amount and found out 4 days later that the import duty raised my total purchase price by more than 6%.
Not the end of the world, and from what I've read I will be completely satisfied with my first CW watch considering the unexpectedly higher cost.

Over the weekend I tried to do some research and it seems to be a mixed bag when it comes to people getting hit with import duties.
I have learned my lesson and will not be surprised again!
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

albionphoto wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:18 pm I believe that CW are are planning to have a system where you can pay duty upfront on their website. This can't come soon enough.
What I've heard CW say is coming to their site is a way to calculate the expected duty charges, but not a way to pay them upfront. There are other watch companies who include all duty, taxes, and related fees in the purchase price and prepay them so there are no unknown charges at delivery.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Given how iffy DHL can be I would prefer to pay upfront. I know that I am liable for customs charges but for many customers even a notification about the scale of the charges would be an improvement. I would be happier to pre-pay upfront. Let's hope that something happens soon.
Mark
Mega_B

Post by Mega_B »

audio.bill wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:55 pm
albionphoto wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:18 pm I believe that CW are are planning to have a system where you can pay duty upfront on their website. This can't come soon enough.
What I've heard CW say is coming to their site is a way to calculate the expected duty charges, but not a way to pay them upfront. There are other watch companies who include all duty, taxes, and related fees in the purchase price and prepay them so there are no unknown charges at delivery.
Even if there was an asterisk after "Free Shipping" with a warning that duty charges may apply, just for the uneducated like myself.

Free Shipping*
*Import fees may apply for buyers outside of the UK (see table of approximate fees)

Something like that would have been nice.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

:(
albionphoto wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:28 pm Given how iffy DHL can be I would prefer to pay upfront. I know that I am liable for customs charges but for many customers even a notification about the scale of the charges would be an improvement. I would be happier to pre-pay upfront. Let's hope that something happens soon.
If I buy from eBay ( and I presume Amazon) into the UK, or from Jomashop and other GM dealers they offer an extra that includes a duty paid amount, and they undertake to pay the duty whether higher or lower. With eBay it's non optional. With jomashop it's optional, and I have always declined.

Do you get the same option when importing into the US on foreign websites or not? If others can do it, you would expect CW to be able to something similar.

I know the US is difficult though, as every state has its own tax rate
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Mega_B,

If you click the "Free Worldwide Delivery" at the top of the CW website, it brings you to a page whereby there is a list of topics including "Customs and duties" which when you click it and read down it has a section for the "Shipping into the ROW inc. the United States of America:".
This says :

"All orders shipped to non-EU territories are subject to cross-border inspection, and where they have breached individual country import thresholds, are subject to custom charges. Please note Christopher Ward is not able to tell you what this threshold is. Typically for orders into the United States the order value is $800 or more. However, this is only a benchmark and subject to change.

Every order is shipped with the status of Delivered at Port (DAP). This puts the onus of paying for taxes and duties on the customer. By doing this the product can be released into your ownership.

With recent changes to local laws, custom officials may request your Social Security Number or Tax ID. Where this is required DHL will reach out directly to you. Unfortunately, we are not able to prevent this request.

We can’t refund any customs duties paid if you return your watch for a refund.

Repairing and/or servicing a watch does not incur customs charges."

This is clear enough for me, at least you know for any future purchases to check if customs and duties are going to be charged to you or not.

Please put up a photo of the watch when it arrives and I hope you enjoy it.
audio.bill
Guru
Guru

Post by audio.bill »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:23 pm :(
albionphoto wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:28 pm Given how iffy DHL can be I would prefer to pay upfront. I know that I am liable for customs charges but for many customers even a notification about the scale of the charges would be an improvement. I would be happier to pre-pay upfront. Let's hope that something happens soon.
If I buy from eBay ( and I presume Amazon) into the UK, or from Jomashop and other GM dealers they offer an extra that includes a duty paid amount, and they undertake to pay the duty whether higher or lower. With eBay it's non optional. With jomashop it's optional, and I have always declined.

Do you get the same option when importing into the US on foreign websites or not? If others can do it, you would expect CW to be able to something similar.

I know the US is difficult though, as every state has its own tax rate
Being US based my experience in buying watches from international sellers indicates that the majority operate like CW in that payment of any duty, taxes or related fees assessed are the responsibility of the buyer. There are some however that prepay all such charges which is included in their pricing so there are no additional charges for the buyer to pay. I have no issue with paying the charges that I am appropriately charged, but think for most the issue comes with the uncertainty of what the amount will be. It seems that DHL in particular sometimes charges excessive fees so that you can't safely assume that you'll be charged a particular percentage of the sale price. Committing to such uncertain charges makes the purchase process more stressful so that I try to avoid making purchases over the $800 threshold. If I could commit to paying a known amount up front I'd be much more willing to make more expensive purchases internationally.
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

I've unofficially decided not to buy anymore CW watches >$800 due to the customs issue. Not only is there an added cost, but it tends to lead to delays as well. Buy a watch $799 or less and you don't have to worry about either. Stick around for the sales and quite a few watches become available under that number.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

MichaelMD wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 pm I've unofficially decided not to buy anymore CW watches >$800 due to the customs issue. Not only is there an added cost, but it tends to lead to delays as well. Buy a watch $799 or less and you don't have to worry about either. Stick around for the sales and quite a few watches become available under that number.
I assume you have also decided not to buy any consumer goods that are subject to sales tax, or good subject to import duties that are paid on your behalf by the distributor, and then included in the sale price? To not do so would be somewhat hypocritical, as the 'added cost' seems to be a driving factor in your decision.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

Lavaine wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:05 pm
MichaelMD wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 pm I've unofficially decided not to buy anymore CW watches >$800 due to the customs issue. Not only is there an added cost, but it tends to lead to delays as well. Buy a watch $799 or less and you don't have to worry about either. Stick around for the sales and quite a few watches become available under that number.
I assume you have also decided not to buy any consumer goods that are subject to sales tax, or good subject to import duties that are paid on your behalf by the distributor, and then included in the sale price? To not do so would be somewhat hypocritical, as the 'added cost' seems to be a driving factor in your decision.
No I think I was pretty specific. I said I have decided to only buy Christopher Ward watches priced $799 or less to avoid the hassle, delays and cost that come with >$800 Christopher Ward watches. There are plenty of great CW watches for that price especially when the sales come around so I don't really think it's a big deal holding it under that cost, at least from my perspective.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

^^^^^^^I follow the same personal policies as MichaelMD. The potential for DHL to charge additional fees for overnight holding is another uncertainty that I wish to avoid. If there are red tape issues, the costs could add up quickly.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Leon O wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:33 pm ^^^^^^^I follow the same personal policies as MichaelMD. The potential for DHL to charge additional fees for overnight holding is another uncertainty that I wish to avoid. If there are red tape issues, the costs could add up quickly.
DHL mess up so often, and CW logistics team can't always be contacted in time to fix before fees kick in. Customs secure storage fees are $50 per night so waiting to fix DHL over a weekend gets expensive. CW have said they will refund the excess charge but I don't know if it has actually ever happened.
Mark