Acquiring Discontinued Watches

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Acquiring Discontinued Watches

Post by JAFO »

I have now realised you can't wait to long if you want to acquire a particular watch, especially when it's discontinued.

I have looked a few times at the C7 Rapide Chronograph automatic at very competitive prices, but I am not exactly short of chronographs and passed. Now I am interested again, I realise that because this was discontinued more than a few months ago, purchasing opportunities are becoming much less frequent.

Ditto with the C65 trident vintage hand wound, with digits at 12 and 6. I have the blue, and thought the black was an interesting option. I actually passed one on eBay in the last few days, and realised it would have been a good buy too late. Again, these are becoming less common, and obviously slightly older.

In the meantime I made a purchase in the sale, and maybe I don't need the above two. There are just so many desirable watches aren't there, and you can't have them all. That's the real problem. I also fancy the Phylida Aqua Terra homage in green, but that's another £100 I don't have to spend.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: Acquiring Discontinued Watches

Post by thomcat00 »

I’ve come to embrace the notion, at least with CW, that employing the 60/60 means buy it - if you have the coin on hand - and return it if it is not for you. I have missed out on certain watches in the last two sales. I’ve also only returned one, and as yet have sold none so I think I am clear on my preferences. :) Still need a faster neural response; some sale items are gone before they register in my brain as, “hey, that’s one on my list!” :D
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
CM23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 8

Post by CM23 »

Weirdly, I tend to like some of the older models which are quite often discontinued. Finding them is a challenge but worth the wait, and this patience really helps to prioritise what to spend hard earned money on.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I just passed on a black c65 hand wound so I could buy a NN C60 yesterday. Hope I don't regret my choice.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi