Does this bother anyone else?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
zeedubbya

Does this bother anyone else?

Post by zeedubbya »

REALLY want to add this (IMHO) gorgeous watch to the collection, but I just can’t bring myself to get over cutting off the 6 for some reason. Should I just get over it and pick up the LE pictured (from Ward Hoard), or keep hunting for a non-COSC. Any other advice on LE or non-LE? Advantages to COSC on a Quartz? Thanks for any insight for a newbie.
118E17A3-8C1D-4418-8B6A-2F9F6088692F.jpeg
Zane

CWL C60 600 MK3 & MK2
CWL C65 Trident Auto
CWL C63 Bladk and Lucerne
CWL C3 Morgan Chronograph
CWL C3 Malvern White
Rolex DJ 41 Blue Dial
Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 White
Omega Seamaster AT 2503.50 Black
Omega Seamaster AT Ryder Cup
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Does this bother anyone else?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Can’t say it has ever bothered me. Number-munching chronographs are a deal breaker for some people, but I must admit I don’t even notice.

My advice to anyone who is bothered by it is: buy something else.

Quartz COSC movements tend to be good quality and even more accurate than ordinary quartz. As to limited editions, the chances of bumping into anyone wearing a Christopher Ward watch are relatively remote, and pretty much no-one you meet would recognise what it was, so again it really wouldn’t bother me that there were only 150 or 300 copies of my watch extant.

Just my own view, obviously, but there are more important things in life.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Personally I'd probably be more bothered by the omission of the 4, I think that could have been fitted in comfortably given it would have been a smaller numeral. A general rule of thumb from me: if there's something that irks you about a watch dial, look for another watch. You'll spend a lot of time looking at that dial and things probably won't get any easier on the eye.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Cut numbers bother me, learnt from experience and won't acquire a watch now which has them. However, its entirely personal and that's just me. Some things that bother other watchies may not matter to me.
PS I've owned the above model and its a niece piece (despite the 6) 🙂
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Illiera
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Illiera »

I agree with the others above, once I see something that annoys me it just gets bigger and bigger every time I look at it!
C60 Trident Pro GMT 600
C900 Single Pusher
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Chronograph? Munched numbers? Some do, some don't.

Does it bother me? That depends on the overall size / style / design of the watch. In general probably not as I like Chronograph watches and it's a fact of life with them.

COSC movement? More accurate than standard and this one gives you centre minutes and seconds hands; which I find easier to read.

Having looked at WardHoard's listing, it appears to be as mint as they come for a used watch (Dan's words).

You pays yer money, takes yer choice. :wink: :wink:

Guy

PS> More details in the CWArchive

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Depends how much of the numerals are munched - in this case it would be too much for my taste. If the bulk of the number were retained, I would be OK with it but for this design an enlarged baton at 2, 6 & 10 would have been better in my opinion.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

You really want to freak out check out the 10

The lack of 4 bugs me more than anything else, but overall I like the watch and that wouldn't keep me from buying it.
scampbell61
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by scampbell61 »

My mother would say, "If you truly do not love her now, getting married will not change anything".
Stewart
“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ― Eric Hoffer

C65 -Dune, C63-Sealander GMT, C60 Atoll 300 “Shark White”, Twelve, and C65 Chronograph
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

I hated chopped off numerals like that. I would not buy it.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I quite like munched numbers but I do think some are done better than others. This one is a bit asymmetrical with the 4, 6 and 10 gone wonky, so I like it a bit less. Still, what I think is of no importance- it’s your eye it’s going to catch every time you check the time...
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Reading this thread top-down I was already in "wait a minute" mode and thought your homily (or your mother's) was an appropriate point to step in.
scampbell61 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:42 pm My mother would say, "If you truly do not love her now, getting married will not change anything".
Maybe I'm the first to reply whose glass is always at least half-full rather than half-empty but I maintain that things can, and do, improve with time. I bet, if asked, your ma would say that she loved your dad even more for having lived with him.

Of the watches I've flipped quickly on the YES?/NO? question I need more than one hand to count those which I've gone on to buy again. Crikey if it was a matter of substandard lume I wouldn't own a single CW.

Coming back to address the OP's questions about the C3 Malvern Chrono and COSC or non-COSC: you will come across more of the non-COSC variants simply due to production numbers and then you're faced with a case and dial colour choice. And the 6 numeral treatment is different.

As MissF says
missF wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:10 pm I quite like munched numbers but I do think some are done better than others. This one is a bit asymmetrical with the 4, 6 and 10 gone wonky, so I like it a bit less. Still, what I think is of no importance- it’s your eye it’s going to catch every time you check the time...
It's your call chap, just show us the pictures haha :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

And the 4 and 10 are affected. The 4 is particularly strange. In some ways it's poor design. Maybe better to have no numbers than cut them off I think.
zeedubbya

Post by zeedubbya »

I have already learned a lot from the responses here. Thank you. “munched numbers” is a new term to me. Thank you for all the responses. I will patiently wait for the right non-COSC to come along. With the extra cost and the annoyance of the munched 6 seems my decision is an easy one. I hope.
Zane

CWL C60 600 MK3 & MK2
CWL C65 Trident Auto
CWL C63 Bladk and Lucerne
CWL C3 Morgan Chronograph
CWL C3 Malvern White
Rolex DJ 41 Blue Dial
Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 5 White
Omega Seamaster AT 2503.50 Black
Omega Seamaster AT Ryder Cup
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MichaelMD »

This watch would have worked much better w/o the date window. Put a 4 there and the broken numbers would be just fine. The off center date window spoils the whole look, and I have no idea why they replaced the 4 with an arrow. Looks weird.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk