Does this bother anyone else?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Does this bother anyone else?

Post by JAFO »

I think the arrow is the bit of the 4 that wasn't replaced by the date. On second thoughts it probably is an arrow.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

My Mk1 non-Cosc is more than accurate enough for me - it's never off by more than a handful of seconds which I adjust (if I can be bothered) when I correct for short month date changes but, more importantly, it also has 11 full numerals with the same gap at 4 which, to my eyes, is not at all an issue.

As others have said, chopped numerals offend me on some watches but not on others. Since you are raising the issue, would it be correct to assume it bothers you? If so, I'd advise you to look elsewhere.
C3.jpg
C3 Mk1
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

As Phil says, if it bothers you enough to raise the question, then I think you have your answer. On my C65 AM GT LE, it doesn’t bother me at all, in fact, I quite like it.

C62FFF71-9FF9-4313-A855-0CDCC16A5379.jpeg
Drew
Boydesian
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Boydesian »

I happen to be wearing mine today, and I find that it's more noticeable in photos than in-person...but then it wasn't really something that bothered me in the first place. As for COSC, it is the most accurate watch I own that isn't synced to an atomic clock. Frankly, I love it.

Whare hae ye been sae braw, lad?
Whare hae ye been sae brankie, O?
Whare hae ye been sae braw, lad?
Came ye by Killiecrankie, O?
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Yup now I've seen it/you've pointed it out it would annoy me
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I think the messed up 10 and ugly date would put me off more.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Boydesian wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:31 pm I happen to be wearing mine today, and I find that it's more noticeable in photos than in-person...but then it wasn't really something that bothered me in the first place. As for COSC, it is the most accurate watch I own that isn't synced to an atomic clock. Frankly, I love it.
It's quartz, isn't it? I think COSC is a bit redundant with quartz.
I pull the crown out on quartz's although someone said it doesn't actually save battery life. I currently have 3 ticking though. One is two seconds slow, one 3 seconds fast and one 4 seconds fast. This must be after at least a month on all of them. The other one is a £5 chinese Curren and that's actually 11 seconds fast, which is pretty good for what it is.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think what can bother me more on quartz chronographs is the off centre sub dials.

With auto chronographs, they are either (like a speedy) 3,6,9 or the valjoux 6,9,12.
with quartz chronographs the sub dials often come at 6,10 and 2, or for my preference, a slightly more central 6, 9.5 and 2.5. It's obviously depends on the movement being used. In the last few posts, see the subdials in the C3 Mk1, compared with the other 2 images.
Will Holding

Post by Will Holding »

I have one, it has been sitting in my watch case but still stickered and unworn since my regularly worn watches are a C11, a Trintec Altimeter, and a white dial Aquaracer my wife bought me.
It's not the chopped numbers that are an issue as much as they don't have a lot of contrast against the white dial- it's a very pretty watch but not incredibly legible- yet we all know what those mean so whether they are chopped or too small to read is kind of a moot point.
Interestingly, yours and the other Gentleman's who posted are on black alligator straps and mine is a smooth dark brown strap.
The strap width is a little delicate for my personal taste but I realize that wasn't the question.
Personally I would go ahead and order it and if you decided it wasn't your thing, resell it. Sooner or later someone will be looking for one.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

If something about the look bothers you now, before buying the watch, it probably won’t get any better once you have spent your money. There are plenty of options available. Find those that check all the boxes.

As for me, chopped digits put watches on the chopping block. Won’t buy ‘em because that aspect would bug me too much.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Mega_B

Post by Mega_B »

Funny, if I was asked this question without the opportunity to look at my wrist I probably would have said that I don't like cut off numbers and would not buy such watches.
However, I looked at the watch I'm wearing right now and it's likely one of the worst offenders ever when it comes to cut off numbers.
Just look at 8, it's just a tiny sliver!
And it doesn't bother me at all, I wear this watch a lot and that's never bothered me.
I will say that I bought this watch as NOS at an extreme discount, I would never have paid the full list price for it.
But I'm very happy with the price I paid and the watch.
I'll have to take a look at the rest of my collection but I'll bet this is pretty normal.
I have a Seiko on my desk here an 5, 7 and 11 are all cut off and I've never noticed it so it's never bothered me.
I hope this does not become a problem for me in the future because of this thread!

I think the CW looks great, but the angled date bothers me more than the cut off 6.
Not sure if that's typical of date windows at 4pm?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

My view? Pretty much the same as stated above: By asking the question, you probably already know the answer. And it doesn't really matter how many people say that it wouldn't bother them, it's your watch (or not!). Democracy is wonderful, but it isn't always appropriate.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ But if all you want is bleating acquiescence, why bother to ask the question?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
brash47
Expert
Expert

Post by brash47 »

If it bothers you now, it's always going to bother you. Don't buy it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

zeedubbya wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:32 pm I have already learned a lot from the responses here. Thank you. “munched numbers” is a new term to me. Thank you for all the responses. I will patiently wait for the right non-COSC to come along. With the extra cost and the annoyance of the munched 6 seems my decision is an easy one. I hope.
Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it. It sounds as though you should move on to other models.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi