C8 Disaster.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
watchaholic
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

C8 Disaster.

Post by watchaholic »

So my beloved C8PR has quit. After 2 1/2 years in rotation, for no reason, while in my favorite chair watching the morning business shows on my 3rd day off, IT JUST QUIT RUNNING. No drops no bumps. The balance is not stuck. It seems to be a problem in the transfer of power somewhere between the escampment wheel and the impulse stone. From the super tough DLC coating to the super smooth winding, rivaled only by others costing 4x, this has been one of my absolute favorites for so many reasons. No need to worry fellow forumites, I won't let this throw me into some crater of depression, it is just a watch, but I am beyond disappointed. :(
Time is fleeting....happy hour, doubly so.
Dwight
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: C8 Disaster.

Post by Thunder1 »

Darn!!..and such a fine piece of wrist wear!!..you're getting it fixed, right?
:problem:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
C60 GMT 600/C65 SH21 LE/C65 Khaki,Black,Blue dials/C65 Bronze Ombre LE & Dartmouth/C8 Power Reserve
watchaholic
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Guess I'll try to start the process. I told myself a long time ago rather than going through the process and time of sending a conventional movment to the other side of the world, I would just take it in locally. While recently adjusting my ACAN back to chrono specs, he noticed one dry jewel, removed it, oiled it, and brought it to +2 spd. Then charged me a grand total of $55, and done in a week. This movement while not being beyond his expertise, may well require parts, which he would not have access to.
Dwight
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Hmm

I'm beginning to wonder whether these manual SH21s have a bit of a problem in the escapement department as mine similarly jacked in at 3.5years old and I seem to recall another on the forum earlier this year?

You'll probably have to bite the bullet and return to CW - it's not that bad as a process (though for me it turned into a disaster when DHL lost it) so good luck with it.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Thanks for the feedback. That would be a real problem if there is an inherent issue with the escapement. We will hope not. I have not had to send anything back until now. As to satisfactory service, it is as I see it, like many things in life. All about expectations. I fully expect from the time the watch leaves my hands until it returns will be a solid 12 weeks. Hopefully that is not too optimistic. On the other front, my experience with DHL has been very good. Last time I had dealings with them they got my purchase from Japan to Minneapolis in 4 days, including the payment of duties, which I thought was exemplary. Will probably be a few days before I have the chance to get it boxed up. Then fingers crossed.
Dwight
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 22

Post by MiniMpi »

Sorry to hear this :(
Hard call but I'd go with sending it to CW to get it sorted in case as you say it needs parts.
Ferg

22 CW watches and a 1934 Rolex 912 'Tank'.

Check out my Instagram @cwwatchenthusiast
RichM
Guru
Guru

Post by RichM »

My SH21 auto power reserve is back with me after 9 weeks away for a warranty repair having stopped suddenly and unexpectedly during a UK lockdown.

It's going very well after a few days wear at least.
watchaholic
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

RichM wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:53 pm My SH21 auto power reserve is back with me after 9 weeks away for a warranty repair having stopped suddenly and unexpectedly during a UK lockdown.

Any indication from CW as to what went wrong or what was repaired?
Dwight
CM23
CW-watches: 8

Post by CM23 »

Hope this gets resolved - keep us posted on the outcome (and reason for failure).
RichM
Guru
Guru

Post by RichM »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:24 pm
RichM wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:53 pm My SH21 auto power reserve is back with me after 9 weeks away for a warranty repair having stopped suddenly and unexpectedly during a UK lockdown.

Hi, nope, nothing about what was wrong. I didn't ask either. It was always out of COSC spec which I was happy to live with and it's come back and within COSC specs so there is that. It was at least easy for me to send back in being in the UK.
watchaholic
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

RichM wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:56 pm
watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:24 pm

Hi, nope, nothing about what was wrong. I didn't ask either. It was always out of COSC spec which I was happy to live with and it's come back and within COSC specs so there is that. It was at least easy for me to send back in being in the UK.
Thanks for the response. I'm not really expecting to find out the exact problem, unless there is some kind of parts list used sent back from Switzerland. That's just the mechanical side of me coming through, which is what fuels my interest in these tiny little engines in the first place.
Dwight