Trident second hand

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JymKhana

Re: Trident second hand

Post by JymKhana »

I get what people are saying about the 60:60. Here are my thoughts: It's a tool, not jewelry. If it cannot take the abuse of diving then I would expect a refund. If a drill failed after you tried it or it turned out it was simply too heavy for your use would you keep it? If it shows that it was worn after just a couple of dives then it belongs on a display table up front at the local discount store next to the invictas . Others may disagree, including the company. So far it holds up very well and you couldn't tell it had been in the ocean. That's what one should expect at this point.

Just for the record, I don't plan on diving it every day for the next 59 days and then making my mind up but I did need to see how visible it was at depth in some pretty low vis water and at night.

As for the C63, I am in love with it but wouldn't expect it to do well on a dive.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JymKhana wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:30 pm So far it holds up very well and you couldn't tell it had been in the ocean. That's what one should expect at this point.
Absolutely. It’s a diving watch and it appears to do what it says on the tin. And you appear to have got what you expected, or felt that you should have expected. The question of returning for a refund would seem somewhat academic therefore, unless I’m missing something fundamental?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

^^^ I once knew a bloke who's wife never cut the swing tag off dresses so she could wear them and take them back to the shop. He seemed quite proud of that, and was genuinely puzzled by the response of the people he told the story to.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:50 pm The question of returning for a refund would seem somewhat academic therefore, unless I’m missing something fundamental?
Nope. You're not missing a thing. I was just responding to the "I can't believe you would take it diving and then think of returning it." It's a Dive Watch as you pointed out. I am not of the crowd that takes off a Sea Dweller when he washes his hands.

The watch is a nice find. I'll use it often. My wife suggested I just keep it and buy the other one as well. So tempted but if I go rock climbing with it and find it digs in can I return even if it has wrist sweat? :lol:
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

If you'd kept tight lipped about the diving, rinsed it, and there are no discernible signs of wear, I'm sure you could have returned it. 'Signs of wear' would be the determining factor in being able to return a watch. If it's not suitable for you, it has to be of merchantable quality for someone else to be happy to buy. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I wonder if Rolex or Omega would be happy to have a watch returned if they knew it had been diving, even knowing full well that is what it is designed for?
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

exHowfener wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:01 pm ^^^ I once knew a bloke who's wife never cut the swing tag off dresses so she could wear them and take them back to the shop. He seemed quite proud of that, and was genuinely puzzled by the response of the people he told the story to.
How is my situation and your comment related or are you just trying to be a bit of a **** cloaked in the anonymity of the internet?
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

@JymKhana I don’t think anyone was trying to get your hackles up, anonymously or otherwise, about the return. It seems more an anecdote to address your possible expectations with a return.

We’ve all heard tales of questionable returns. I’ve worked retail - and warranty - and seen some unexpected behavior and unrealistic expectations with returns.

You can also choose to ignore the comments and enjoy the watch and the forum.

Where are you diving, and what kind of diving do you do?
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Just looking at my C60 mk2 and it looks a straight line with slightly rounded edges. My eyes arnt good enough to see any finer detail but just to say whatever it is under high magnification to the human eye it looks class :-)
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Had a another look and it really is class the way it catches the light :-)
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

thomcat00 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:28 am @JymKhana I don’t think anyone was trying to get your hackles up, anonymously or otherwise, about the return. It seems more an anecdote to address your possible expectations with a return...
I'm new here and if I took offense where none was given then I apologize. I still find it strange given the bragging of the 60/60 that expecting to use a watch as intended would be taking things a bit too far.

I too worked retail many years ago, almost a lifetime ago I feel. We sold sporting goods and shoes. We actually had a reputation for fitting shoes to the client and as such we had many professional athletes as customers. Regardless of rather you just signed a $10 million a year contract or had to count out the last 37 cents in pennies to pay for it, if you brought them back used after a couple of weeks and said "They worked fine walking around the store but they are running shoes and after 49 miles they still hurt." we took them back. Why? Because they are shoes and you need to run in them.

Regardless, the post has really drifted. I struggled to buy this one or a Doxa. I feel this is a better watch but like CW, I can't walk into a store a put my hands on one for comparison.
Surf609nj

Post by Surf609nj »

JymKhana wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:32 am
thomcat00 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:28 am @JymKhana I don’t think anyone was trying to get your hackles up, anonymously or otherwise, about the return. It seems more an anecdote to address your possible expectations with a return...
I'm new here and if I took offense where none was given then I apologize. I still find it strange given the bragging of the 60/60 that expecting to use a watch as intended would be taking things a bit too far.

I too worked retail many years ago, almost a lifetime ago I feel. We sold sporting goods and shoes. We actually had a reputation for fitting shoes to the client and as such we had many professional athletes as customers. Regardless of rather you just signed a $10 million a year contract or had to count out the last 37 cents in pennies to pay for it, if you brought them back used after a couple of weeks and said "They worked fine walking around the store but they are running shoes and after 49 miles they still hurt." we took them back. Why? Because they are shoes and you need to run in them.

Regardless, the post has really drifted. I struggled to buy this one or a Doxa. I feel this is a better watch but like CW, I can't walk into a store a put my hands on one for comparison.
I also bought the C60 because I plan to use the watch surfing. I’d be interested to see how it looks at depth. Please do post a picture. Also, have you ever worried about your expensive dive watches coming unattached while underwater? Do you use NATO straps for extra security or do you not worry about it?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ someone already started a thread on that very topic. :wink:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Returns:

out of interest, I returned a watch to CW yesterday - the first one I have ever returned, as they actually sent me the wrong watch. They received it today, and just sent me this email

Confirmation of Receipt xxxxxx

Good news – we’ve received your parcel!

If you’re returning your watch for refund or replacement, it’ll be passed on to our technicians who’ll inspect it for faults and assess its overall condition. This process usually takes between three and five days.

If you’re returning your item for repair, it will be booked into our workshop by our after-sales team. They will contact you once the inspection is completed.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
JymKhana

Post by JymKhana »

thomcat00 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:28 am I also bought the C60 because I plan to use the watch surfing. I’d be interested to see how it looks at depth. Please do post a picture. Also, have you ever worried about your expensive dive watches coming unattached while underwater? Do you use NATO straps for extra security or do you not worry about it?
I'm not worried about the watch. I used a steel bracelet on a sub for years and years and never had an issue but I put a NATO on the CW. If you use a true NATO then you have 2 failure points that would have to give in order to drop the watch (I suppose only 1 if the buckle gave way). I don't surf. The surf here only gets good about 36 hours before a hurricane washes ashore so not something I've ever tried tp pick up.

I would think as long as you soak it after a trip to the ocean you'll be very happy. I drop mine in some warm water every time I wash the gear. I'll try and get a pic or 2 under water next time I go out if someone in the group brings their camera.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:53 am Returns:

out of interest, I returned a watch to CW yesterday - the first one I have ever returned, as they actually sent me the wrong watch. They received it today, and just sent me this email

Confirmation of Receipt xxxxxx

Good news – we’ve received your parcel!

If you’re returning your watch for refund or replacement, it’ll be passed on to our technicians who’ll inspect it for faults and assess its overall condition. This process usually takes between three and five days.

If you’re returning your item for repair, it will be booked into our workshop by our after-sales team. They will contact you once the inspection is completed.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Automated "acknowledge receipt" email responses - don't you just love 'em? I'm currently playing pingpong with my telecomms provider and my challenge is to interact with a 'ooman!
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands