Time keeping accuracy

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Robcat

Time keeping accuracy

Post by Robcat »

Hi, first time on the discussions page.
I have a Trident c65 hand wound. Wondering what the accuracy should be? Owned for 2 years, worn and wound only on weekends, not serviced as yet. Ran an accuracy test and currently running at +35 a day. Is this normal? I've seen on other older discussion pages that many are running far better accuracy.

Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Rob.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Time keeping accuracy

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

According to the Owners Handbook, which may be found in the CWArchive, timing accuracy for the SW210-1 movement is stated as + or - 15 seconds per day. Clearly therefore yours is a little bit out. :( :(

However, watch movements work at their best, for timekeeping when;-

1. they have a good amount of Power Reserve i.e. better than half wound, and

2. they are kept running consistently.

You suggest your C65 is a weekend watch, which is no bad thing, but it doesn't give the movement any length of time to settle in and give its best results.

My suggestion therefore, is to wind and wear it for a couple of weeks, keeping an eye on its accuracy as you go.

In the meantime, now that you've found us, why not stick around and join in some of the chatter.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Hello, and welcome to the forum / madhouse.

I hope you are enjoying your watch. A timekeeping accuracy of +35sec a day is well outside what you should expect from this type of movement. The manufacturer specification suggests significantly less than this when brand new (+/-20sec if I recall correctly) but the vast majority of watches fall well below this. My own, personal, experience suggests a 3sec to 10sec deviation when new.

As time goes on, and especially if a watch is not used regularly, timekeeping deviation can vary more. Parts wear, oils deteriorate and the effects are definitely noticeable. Sometimes, constant use/wearing can get lubricants redistributed and timekeeping can return to spec, but most movements need a service every couple of years to keep them running as they should. On the other hand, if the timekeeping has suddenly fallen off it might be worth checking for magnetism of the movement.

I am assuming that the watch is still under the 60/60 warranty? If so, it would be well worth contacting CW Headquarters and requesting a check over. There will be a time delay of several weeks here, but it is worth the wait for peace of mind.
Hope this helps and keep safe,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A warm welcome to the forum. 8)

I would certainly recommend that you begin by following Guy‘s advice above. I have always had this theory that watches run better when you actually wear them, and I’m sure that your current habit of winding and wearing it only at weekends will be to the detriment of timekeeping. Here’s a thread where we discussed this a couple of years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51457&hilit=Perform
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I would emphasise the @Jcalder68 advice above, check for magnetising (bring the watch up to a stationary compass which should show no deviation as the watch comes near or is withdrawn) which severely deleterious effect on time keeping.

If it is magnetised, it is easily fixed by any watchmaker or there are threads here discussing de-magnetising.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Martin »

I would concur with the sage advice already given. I bought my Seamaster four years ago and it has sharpened its accuracy to plus 1-2 seconds per week. It is the only watch I have worn in that time and is worn all day.
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Hi Robcat and welcome to the forums.

As mentioned above I think it will magnetism which is very common due to all the things with magnetic fields like mobile phones, tv's, computer mice etc etc. It may be worth getting a cheap needle compass and moving this under the watch and seeing if the needle moves.

You can buy a cheap demagnetiser for around a tenner off Amazon. There are quite a few and they are blue with a red button. I'd demag it anyway and I bet it improves the accuracy.

I checked my c65 gmt and my new c8 and they both showed slight magnetism and both had started running fast. I put them on the demag for 10 secs and slowly pulled away and both are now back within spec. I use a 3D space mouse with my left hand which may be why mine got magnetised.

I havnt found anything online saying demagnetising does any harm so I would give it a go first and check the accuracy again

Let us know how you get on

Mike
Robcat

Post by Robcat »

Thankyou very much for all your in depth replys. Advice taken on board and I will try a few simple changes to begin with and see how the accuracy goes. Thanks again for your time and efforts in replying to my post.