tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: C 65 Dartmouth is poorly

Post by tikkathree »

Thermexman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:41 am
tikkathree wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:17 am
Oh you should run film through it but first be sure you've not got leaky curtains :lol: :lol: The four being a back loader, access to the film curtains is easy and fixing pinhole leaks is an easy enough and well-documented fix. Have to admit I wasn't aware of a generic film advance issue though...... :? :? :? :? :? You weren't by any chance thinking about the bottom loading earlier generations of Zorki?
Mine is deffo not a bottom loader as you say. It dates from 1968 as denoted by the first two digits of the serial number. I can’t remember the specifics as I’ve owned it for some time but I seem to recall that if you change the shutter speed dial without first cocking the shutter, you end up with things getting out of step? A bit like setting the date on a watch between 10pm & 2 am?

When I bought it, changing the shutter speed made no difference to the actual speed at which it fired and the rewind mechanism didn’t engage. I researched it but couldn’t find a fix. Having delved inside for a nosey around, I spotted some part of the mechanism was fouling so fiddled with it and got lucky.

My job/working hours changed and the resultant loss of free time has meant that the hobby is on the back burner. Watches then took over!
That's right. All Soviet era rangefinders based in the earlier Leica design require that you wind on the film before setting or changing the shutter speed. The extent of my knowledge is that reversing the order of these two operations WILL break the camera so I think of it like setting the date on a watch between 10.00 and 2.00 and never do it.

I can point you to trusted service men in former soviet states but the reality is that it's often cheaper to buy another body rather than ship yours to them.

I've got several Zorki and Fed bodies and enjoy using them almost daily. Here's one such.
20201114_214035.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Just had confirmation that my watch will be repaired under warranty and should be 8 to 10 weeks.
Steve.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Good stuff :thumbup:
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Thermexman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 pm Just had confirmation that my watch will be repaired under warranty and should be 8 to 10 weeks.
That's excellent news! I almost feel like buying something to celebrate :lol: :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^ When did you ever need an excuse? :lol:
Steve.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I had the exact same message when I returned my watch. I have always been pleased that the actual time has been towards the earlier end of this window, so keeping fingers crossed for you,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thermexman wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:52 pm Just had confirmation that my watch will be repaired under warranty and should be 8 to 10 weeks.
Did they say what the issue is?
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

^^^ Nope. I guess they don’t yet know? I’m assuming that they haven’t opened it up but merely confirmed that what I’ve described is true?
Steve.