Discuss Christopher Ward watches
CM23
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 8

Re: Trusted Seller

Post by CM23 »

Kip wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:42 am
CM23 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 pm But I do wonder, is the 400 posts relative to being a trusted seller?
Yes it is....but it is far from the only criteria. It is a combination of the qualifying factors with each having it's own significance.
Thanks Kip! I'm a long way off, but I can support other forum members in potentially adding it to their profile. I made a purchase recently, so I'll make sure I provide some feedback. Thanks, Chris.
triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by triffidman »

I'll be accused of being cynical, but this is far too 'black and white'. I wouldn't get the badge, but have sold and bought a handful of items here over the years - EVERY transaction has been an extremely pleasant experience, with good feedback left/received where appropriate.

The opposite of being Trusted is that you're not to be Trusted, which I find a bit irritating in light of the above information. This is becoming quite a dictatorship, when a forum is designed to be quite the opposite (I thought). The next thing we'll be told is that we have to wear a mask to post here!!!

What I'd like to understand is what drove this new policy, have there been many cases of buyers/selling be defrauded?
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

triffidman wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:49 am I'll be accused of being cynical, but this is far too 'black and white'. I wouldn't get the badge, but have sold and bought a handful of items here over the years - EVERY transaction has been an extremely pleasant experience, with good feedback left/received where appropriate.

The opposite of being Trusted is that you're not to be Trusted, which I find a bit irritating in light of the above information. This is becoming quite a dictatorship, when a forum is designed to be quite the opposite (I thought). The next thing we'll be told is that we have to wear a mask to post here!!!

What I'd like to understand is what drove this new policy, have there been many cases of buyers/selling be defrauded?
And I thought I was the most cynical git around here - I must try harder :lol:
These users thanked the author TigerChris for the post (total 2):
tikkathreeFat-Sam
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

triffidman wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:49 am What I'd like to understand is what drove this new policy, have there been many cases of buyers/selling be defrauded?
While I cannot answer what drove the policy, not all policies have to be reactive. I see it as an enhancement, but not the only trustmark I’d employ for a transaction. And I’ve transacted without the affirmation.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
andy727

Post by andy727 »

This is helpful to someone, like myself, who is looking to buy a preowned watch..
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

I'm adopting the view that, like motherhood and apple pie, this is pretty much a good thing.

Will it be 100% surefire perfect? I want to say that it can't be and yet I find myself thinking that it might be darn close.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

tikkathree wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:46 pm I'm adopting the view that, like motherhood and apple pie, this is pretty much a good thing.

Will it be 100% surefire perfect? I want to say that it can't be and yet I find myself thinking that it might be darn close.
IMO it's fine, not totally inclusive, should be considered as a little bit of additional confidence in a seller but it doesn't mean that other sellers without it are not trustworthy. There's many on here that have been around for years, have posted regularly but don't sell watches frequently so don't have the badge. Also like everywhere in life people don't necessarily go out of their way to provide "good" reviews.

Just as you would with deciding upon a hotel to stay at, a restaurant to eat in (etc etc) sufficient due diligence is just as important.

I believe this is an important point to explain for the benefit of new Forum members that are considering their first purchase from the SC, like Andy727.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Agreed, Mick, but if you look at the qualifications posted by Kip in the first post.
The qualifications for this elite status are very simple.
1.- Forum Membership in good standing of 1 year minimum.
2.- Must have made contributory posts within past 90 days of application outside of the Sales Corner.
3.- 400 minimum posts.
4.- 4 Completed Sales (minimum)
5.- 1/2 positive sales qty. feedback that has been posted in the “Feedback on Seller” areas. (minimum)
6 - Character/contribution judgement approval by Admin Team
1 & 3 = we have got to know you.
2 = you are not just here to sell watches.
4 = you have sold watches here before.
5, as you say, is a bit dependent on the buyers responding, but most regular forum users do that as a courtesy.
6 is a bit more subjective and difficult to define, but we would have to have pretty strong reasons for withholding the badge from someone who fulfilled all the other criteria. We spent a lot of time discussing it and it’s not something we would do lightly.

As you say, there are plenty of people who have been around for a long time and haven’t sold watches. Some of these are people I would be perfectly happy to buy from and I would never question their integrity if they ever choose to sell one, even though they wouldn’t qualify for the badge.

As with all these things, it’s always a case of Caveat Emptor. But equally, like some watch ADs, the seller is perfectly at liberty to choose whom they sell to. Caveat Vendor.

Also, anyone who feels that they fulfil the criteria but haven’t yet been awarded the badge is more than welcome to contact a member of the Admin Team to discuss it.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
JasperCat
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:17 pm ^^^ Agreed, Mick, but if you look at the qualifications posted by Kip in the first post.
The qualifications for this elite status are very simple.
1.- Forum Membership in good standing of 1 year minimum.
2.- Must have made contributory posts within past 90 days of application outside of the Sales Corner.
3.- 400 minimum posts.
4.- 4 Completed Sales (minimum)
5.- 1/2 positive sales qty. feedback that has been posted in the “Feedback on Seller” areas. (minimum)
6 - Character/contribution judgement approval by Admin Team
1 & 3 = we have got to know you.
2 = you are not just here to sell watches.
4 = you have sold watches here before.
5, as you say, is a bit dependent on the buyers responding, but most regular forum users do that as a courtesy.
6 is a bit more subjective and difficult to define, but we would have to have pretty strong reasons for withholding the badge from someone who fulfilled all the other criteria. We spent a lot of time discussing it and it’s not something we would do lightly.

As you say, there are plenty of people who have been around for a long time and haven’t sold watches. Some of these are people I would be perfectly happy to buy from and I would never question their integrity if they ever choose to sell one, even though they wouldn’t qualify for the badge.

As with all these things, it’s always a case of Caveat Emptor. But equally, like some watch ADs, the seller is perfectly at liberty to choose whom they sell to. Caveat Vendor.

Also, anyone who feels that they fulfil the criteria but haven’t yet been awarded the badge is more than welcome to contact a member of the Admin Team to discuss it.
Steve, Thanks.

I did actually go back to read the original post by Kip and tried to word my post appropriately.
My main point, which may not have come through sufficiently judging from your points, is that the badge is not the "be all and end all" when someone is considering buying from a member of the Forum whether they have the badge or not.
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I totally agree, Mick. After all, how are you going to get positive feedback if you don’t make a sale? We have to start somewhere, and I for one would be happy to take a punt on a newer member as long as I felt confident about them. But that confidence would be down to my own judgement.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

The assignment of the title seems a little hit and miss; some regular names seem to be missing the badge while recent sellers have also been overlooked.

I would suggest if this badging continues that it needs to be consistently applied.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ As I mentioned above, there are quite a few regular names who don’t actually sell watches on the forum. Those who do, including more recent members who think they might qualify, have only to get in touch. It’s an evaluative process, not an automated one, so the forum software doesn’t update these things of its own accord.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
StrapMeister
Steve

Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru

Post by Fat-Sam »

My opinion is that whilst it remains buyer beware- if I was buying a £100-300 watch from a trusted seller I’d be more likely to go f&f on PayPal (whilst still accepting that’s my responsibility).

For me it’s a good thing- sometimes it’s just an extra bit of confidence- eg I buy and sell jackets and coats from another forum and was worried recently when paying £700 from a stranger online for a coat, but everyone on the site found it hilarious that I wanted vouching as he was the longest standing seller and had seemingly unlimited positive feedback. I immediately felt comfortable and saved the G&S fee too😁
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Wristy

Post by Wristy »

I think it is a great idea but it wouldn’t stop me picking up something from a seller who hasn’t reached the trusted seller status
Dancer for money
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ As always, buy the seller. After all, you can’t qualify for the Trusted Seller badge until the statistics lineup; as you say, not having got there yet does not make a person untrustworthy! By reading a person’s posts, you can often get a strong feeling for whether you would trust them simply by the cut of their jib.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
Gar787MiniMpi
Steve