CW Slogan (with apologies to Mike F)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: CW Slogan (with apologies to Mike F)

Post by thomcat00 »

iain wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:43 am What nationality we identify ourselves as will be different for different people.

If we start to define everything from this collection of small islands as British though, we’d lose the ability to use that standard unit of measurement “An area the size of Wales”. I’m not sure “An area the size of a part of Britain” would work......
I’d respectfully disagree. The US is one country, but smaller regions - typically the individual states, are most certainly used for comparison: that other country is the size of some state, an oil slick the size of some pair of states, the Texas sized patch of trash in the Pacific, etc. You could still use individual countries for comparison within a “British” identity. People would still understand.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

thomcat00 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:47 am
iain wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:43 am What nationality we identify ourselves as will be different for different people.

If we start to define everything from this collection of small islands as British though, we’d lose the ability to use that standard unit of measurement “An area the size of Wales”. I’m not sure “An area the size of a part of Britain” would work......
I’d respectfully disagree. The US is one country, but smaller regions - typically the individual states, are most certainly used for comparison: that other country is the size of some state, an oil slick the size of some pair of states, the Texas sized patch of trash in the Pacific, etc. You could still use individual countries for comparison within a “British” identity. People would still understand.
My comment was meant to make a light hearted joke. There seems to be an element of fun over here made about the fact “The size of Wales” has become an international unit of measurement, although I accept no one outside the UK will probably use the phrase or have even heard about it.

My comment was more in jest about if we lose our individual national identities, we will lose more than people realise.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

I rather like the slogan.
It has never occurred to me that other parts of the U.K. (or is that "Britain"?) might be considered less ingenious. :)
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.