Are CW going generally smaller?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Are CW going generally smaller?

Post by tikkathree »

Well I find smaller cases take some getting used to but somehow I'm able to accommodate what I accept as being a first world problem :wave:
20210612_060348.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Even my own meagre research indicates that nothing is permanent in the world of fashions and tastes. What goes around comes around, black is the new black, and if something you own has become unfashionable it might be an idea to hang onto it, because it will probably be fashionable again in five years.

Perhaps the problem is not that sizes are getting smaller, if indeed they are, but that they managed to get so large in the first place. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

I had dinner with a cousin of mine recently whose girlfriend had bought him some huge giant of a watch. Looked at least 52mm, maybe even 56mm. He’s quite tall but super-fit and has small wrists.

He was proudly showing it to everyone and said he absolutely loved it. I’m sure I shrank away in horror initially, but he was so happy that I couldn’t help but smile along with him.

Meanwhile I know quite a large guy who only ever wears his 36mm Explorer. I once tried to sell him a 38mm Trident and he thought it was huge!

I guess I’m just agreeing you will never please all of the people all of the time.

Personally I range from a 38mm Nomos up to a 44mm C8. I find it’s the size of the dial more than the case that influences my opinion. In fact, I just sold my Elite GMT for precisely this reason. Case size and weight was perfect but the dial just felt too small for me.
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Molan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:53 pm I find it’s the size of the dial more than the case that influences my opinion. In fact, I just sold my Elite GMT for precisely this reason. Case size and weight was perfect but the dial just felt too small for me.
This is absolutely true (along with LTL). I have heard comments about the C65 dial looking too big and throwing things out of proportion because of the thin bezel. My eyes don't see it that way but I can see how the perception could be there especially if you are used to looking at standard bezel widths.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

rkovars wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:59 pm I have heard comments about the C65 dial looking too big and throwing things out of proportion because of the thin bezel. My eyes don't see it that way but I can see how the perception could be there especially if you are used to looking at standard bezel widths.
I’m with you on that one. I really hate squinting at some tiny dial hiding away like a pimple in the middle of a humongous jezebel and case. The C65 is just about right, in my opinion, for a dive watch.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)