Are CW going generally smaller?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Stoowoo

Are CW going generally smaller?

Post by Stoowoo »

The Sealander series is brilliant. But should we (with larger wrists) have ben given a 42/42mm option? Wrote to the ever brilliant Mike F who, (aa always being the gentleman he is) replied that they will look at it if sales go well...
What think the community?
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Are CW going generally smaller?

Post by exHowfener »

Not restricted to CW but there does seem to be a trend towards smaller watches (or away from large watches if you like). The Seiko Alpinist is hardly massive at 39.5mm, but last year they released a 38mm version, albeit without the compass bezel.
Personally I think that c. 40mm is just right, but then there is clearly a market at present for larger watches. Whether that will last is another matter - maybe they are here to stay, maybe they will go the way of platform shoes and bell-bottomed trousers.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I like big watches and the presence they project. My wrist is 8 inch and its for that reason I have bypassed the new C63's as I felt they would be a little small for me altho I know they will be perfect for others:-)
CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by CW257 »

I suppose the argument works both ways. There are a few CW watches only available in 42mm+ sizes which immediately put people like me off, so should CW be offering smaller variants of those watches?

Perhaps it’s too much to ask for every model they produce to have two or three size variants, and instead we just accept that certain models will skew towards extremes, whilst others will sit comfortably in the middle?
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Deks »

I suggest people either work out to increase their wrist sizes or in my case eat lots of crisps while drinking lots of wine every night and then we can all wear bigger watches. Haha im a spanner and failing to be humorous and just to say good comments Cw257 :-).

Peace all and much love

Mike
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

My sweet spot for watches is 38-41mm, so though I don’t yet have a Sealander, the new line is right for me. I have a few that get into the 44mm range but they really do feel large on my wrist.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

It’s funny as I find my taste wax and wane for different watches and unfortunately I seem to be out of sync with the watch world.

When I wanted modern, the watch world went vintage and I am currently coming out of my smaller watch phase (38mm max!) into larger watches and I find the watch world going the other way!

My summary is most manufacturers are going a bit smaller currently. Even IWC have released a 42mm “big” pilot if I recall...
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

42mm C63 Sealander GMT please !!!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

For me the C63 is perfectly sized. There are so many watches out there that while I could wish for a smaller chrono for instance, I understand the difficulties that having multiple sizes can create for a company. It helps keep my overall numbers down, too :D
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Deks wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:10 pm I like big watches and the presence they project. My wrist is 8 inch and its for that reason I have bypassed the new C63's as I felt they would be a little small for me altho I know they will be perfect for others:-)
I read this kind of thing a lot but it's really down to perception. My wrists are only 6¾" and a couple of years ago I thought a 36mm datejust looked tiny on my wrist. I'm not sure I would think the same today.

LeBron James rocking a 36mm President gives real perspective.

Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Deks »

Thats a really good picture and something to reference. I just looked him up though and aparantely he's 4ft 10" with a 5 inch wrist 😂😂😂. Lol only joking and a really good picture to reference to :-)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

CW257 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:23 pm I suppose the argument works both ways. There are a few CW watches only available in 42mm+ sizes which immediately put people like me off, so should CW be offering smaller variants of those watches?

Perhaps it’s too much to ask for every model they produce to have two or three size variants, and instead we just accept that certain models will skew towards extremes, whilst others will sit comfortably in the middle?
While the cancellation of the C8PR might suggest they are going smaller, which is the only criticism I have ever heard of the C8, the above statement seem to be a very reasonable position. Can't please all the people all the time, with all the models.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

exHowfener wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:37 am Not restricted to CW but there does seem to be a trend towards smaller watches (or away from large watches if you like). The Seiko Alpinist is hardly massive at 39.5mm, but last year they released a 38mm version, albeit without the compass bezel.
Personally I think that c. 40mm is just right, but then there is clearly a market at present for larger watches. Whether that will last is another matter - maybe they are here to stay, maybe they will go the way of platform shoes and bell-bottomed trousers.
And right there's a watch which I tried to keep twice, maybe three times. Loved the look of the case and dial but on my 7 and a half wrist it just wore too small. I suspect that the mid-green dial didn't help.

I've got the Sealander Elite on order, I hope it works out.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

As my tastes change and evolve the pendulum is swinging back towards a preference for watches closer to 40mm.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

When the C63 line was launched and during an interview Mike France talked about watches becoming smaller and IIRC he mentioned that Rolex was leading the way in that regard....
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300