C40 speedhawk recent service. Not happy.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: C40 speedhawk recent service. Not happy.

Post by Thermexman »

I’ve had two watches serviced by CW. One had a fault and the other was developing the same fault. Both were returned running perfectly and within COSC, even though neither were particularly accurate before. The prices were fair: £99 + parts for the first and the latest one was £150.

My understanding of what a full service includes is basically a full strip down, cleaning of parts and a rebuild, with new parts, where required.

I don’t need a list of what’s been done? Or a bag of totally useless bits? But that’s just me.
Steve.
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

exHowfener wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:45 pm It does seem a nonsense that there isn't a clear basic price structure. Imagine this, you take your car in to a main dealer (where you bought it from) for a scheduled service, ask how much it costs and get the reply - "we can't tell you until we see it". Really?
That's exactly the situation I'm running into right now. Especially with their SH21 movement which I can't take it anywhere else to fix. Having ship the watch internationally back to UK without a somewhat estimated amount for service and repair just making me uncomfortable :( :( :(
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^
But you do get that with a car. You take it in for a service, and you might get a phone call - "we've found this... Do you want us to fix it. It will cost X more."
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

If problems are found during a service (car or watch etc) then a phonecall to the customer outlining the problem, cost, and timescale is totally acceptable, but to choose to hide any cost from the customer until its arrived is laughable, but expected now.
(I dont wana get in to cw bashing, as easy or tempting as it is out of respect to my fellow forumites).
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:08 am ^^^^^
But you do get that with a car. You take it in for a service, and you might get a phone call - "we've found this... Do you want us to fix it. It will cost X more."
Really? All dealers I've taken my cars to give you an upfront service price based on year/mileage requirements. Naturally they can only inform you of any extra work/cost required at time of service.
But at least they make you aware of the minimum cost involved which is what CW appear to be refusing to do.

edit - I'm mistaken here as I've only just read that the member has an issue with the watch :oops:
Ryan
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I think they key word here is MIGHT - and, X more that what? The price you were initially quoted for a service?. Personally I've always asked what the price is for a service or a repair and been given a clear answer. At a main dealer, the prices have always been displayed. Now that's only my experience, yours may be different.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

All these car analogies remind me:

"Please sort it out for the MOT" gets the cost of the MOT test and any work required for the car to pass.
"Change the oil and give it the once over please" gets me an oil & filter change and possibly a quick cursory inspection.
"What's involved in a major service and you'd better tell me if you think it's going to benefit from anything else is an invitation to list any preventive parts replacement before things actually go wrong.

Where's this going? Be realistic with your expectations and ask for clarification first.
I don't think a menu of scale charges is unreasonable unless you really regard servicing as an unpopular pita when I can see the deterrent value of smoke and mirrors. We aren't dealing with a one-man-band beavering away up a Swiss mountainside hand crafting the cuckoo clock from bits of old pine cone and cow bell.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm
I think they key word here is MIGHT - and, X more that what? The price you were initially quoted for a service?. Personally I've always asked what the price is for a service or a repair and been given a clear answer. At a main dealer, the prices have always been displayed. Now that's only my experience, yours may be different.
I meant " there might be no additional work, but if there was then you would get a call explaining the problem, and what it will cost. " - ie that a garage would NOT do the work first without advising you.

As I said elsewhere, or maybe here - there's also a difference between a routine service on a normally functioning watch, and an intervention on a watch that is known to have issues.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

The independent watchmakers I have dealt with in the past don't publish pricing (that I could find). However, they were more than happy to give a ballpark number with minimal information from me (make, movement etc). I would think CW service would do the same. They did however have a list of what a standard service would entail which I think is also critical.

I don't need the parts back from any of my CWs. I do request the parts from my GMT Master though (thankfully it hasn't needed any and no, I no longer get it serviced at RSC as it is now vintage and they would want to change cosmetic parts that would affect the value).

It is more of a stickler for us outside the UK (in the US in particular - where I live). If it wasn't a warranty repair I would like an idea of what I was in for cost wise before I sent it. I would want to weigh the cost of shipping and service against giving it to my local guy (who I trust). Having an authorized service agent in the US would be nice.

A standard service should include case and bracelet cleaning at least (polishing should be on request but included if wanted). Every watchmaker I have dealt with had these listed in the standard service list.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jamietezz

Post by jamietezz »

NeWard wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:49 pm I ran into a similar issue recently, I asked how much is servicing cost for my watch and was told I needed to "send it in and see", nothing is listed or answered when asked what services will be done and how much does it cost. I'm unsure if using Chris Ward for service outside of warranty period is the right move to do anymore...
out of warranty, absolutely not. take it somewhere local.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

rkovars wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:35 pm The independent watchmakers I have dealt with in the past don't publish pricing (that I could find). However, they were more than happy to give a ballpark number with minimal information from me (make, movement etc). I would think CW service would do the same. They did however have a list of what a standard service would entail which I think is also critical.

I don't need the parts back from any of my CWs. I do request the parts from my GMT Master though (thankfully it hasn't needed any and no, I no longer get it serviced at RSC as it is now vintage and they would want to change cosmetic parts that would affect the value).

It is more of a stickler for us outside the UK (in the US in particular - where I live). If it wasn't a warranty repair I would like an idea of what I was in for cost wise before I sent it. I would want to weigh the cost of shipping and service against giving it to my local guy (who I trust). Having an authorized service agent in the US would be nice.

A standard service should include case and bracelet cleaning at least (polishing should be on request but included if wanted). Every watchmaker I have dealt with had these listed in the standard service list.
Well said, especially about shipping and a local (well in the contiguous 48 anyway) authorized service agent in the US.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris