C40 speedhawk recent service. Not happy.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: C40 speedhawk recent service. Not happy.

Post by tikkathree »

So, a watch case which is "dirty" has probably got wrist cheese around the case back and the rear side of the crown and pushers. Eww.

I understand that the technicians wear finger cots and possibly full nitrile gloves but especially in these covid precaution "NOW WASH YOUR HANDS/USE STERIGEL" times wouldn't it make extra sense for watching coming in to CW to be given some kind of sterlising clean? Flip that over and the question becomes one of the employer's due diligence to protect their employees in the workplace.

Moving on a step or two, the case back is loosened prior to removal, there's some cheese: surely you're going to take steps to prevent stuff from getting into the case and movement?

FWIW I'm clear that if a watch of mine goes anywhere for attention it goes with a list of tasks I want doing and things I don't want doing.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I think it may be wise to clean your own watch before sending if off?

Especially when there was dirt around the pushers before it was sent and still there when it was returned. Why not keep up to that on a regular basis with a toothbrush and soap?

I assume that they are servicing the movement as standard, and generally not the watch case or bracelet. If they were to start cleaning the external case etc who knows what impact that may have on the watch cosmetically. Could it make scuffs worse for example? Maybe it is something that they just avoid so you get it back in exactly the same state that you sent it (apart from the movement and other elements that need doing which may impact the running of the watch such as issues with the hands) so there is no debate. Polishing would be a whole different conversation.

I suppose if CW were clear about what a service involves with a standard starting price everyone would be a little clearer as to what can be expected and that side of things looks like it requires improvement.
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

If I sent a watch for servicing and it was returned with bruising on with rough edges I would be mortified :-(
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I am confused!

I have never heard of a watch being serviced, without the case also going in the cleaner. :shock: :thumbdown:

Refinishing of the case is a different matter.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

I dont think the price is out of order for that watch. As outlined above, its to be expected over the years, especially as a brand grows.

Saying that, ive had a similarly terrible experience with cw that has completely turned me off the brand. In the current climate id expect a degree of cleanliness to the watch to show guidelines are being followed, and if the cloth isnt able to be sent due to covid precautions (which may be understandable or even expected), then replace it at least.
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

I just wish CW can be more upfront about the service and fees associated with watch service. When I mentioned to them I have a SH21 in needs of service they just asked me to fill out a form and get back to them. When I asked what services will be done to the watch and how much is the cost, their only answer is "send it in and we will let you know". I can't help but feels a sense of disconnect in which that I'm paying for a service that I have no idea what will be done or the associate cost of the service I'm paying for. Which beg the question lingering in the back of my head, how do I keep CW watches after the 5 year movement warranty have expired? Especially for their in house movements SH21 watches where the service cost is close to $500 plus shipping.
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

Dickchins wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:25 am I dont think the price is out of order for that watch. As outlined above, its to be expected over the years, especially as a brand grows.

Saying that, ive had a similarly terrible experience with cw that has completely turned me off the brand. In the current climate id expect a degree of cleanliness to the watch to show guidelines are being followed, and if the cloth isnt able to be sent due to covid precautions (which may be understandable or even expected), then replace it at least.
What terrible experiences did you have with CW?
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Some perspective from an Omega owner (all prices in US dollars but I have used a conversion rate of 1.42 dollars to the UK pound).

Service of an automatic non chronograph is $550
Service of a chronograph is $750 (a precious metal chronograph costs $950)

Service of a CW automatic (non SH21) is $213
Service of a chronograph is $355
Service of an SH21 is $497

Omega clean and polish the case (whether you want it or not). Omega service takes 8 - 10 weeks but if the watch is under warranty the time is 6 - 10 weeks. Omega also return a "bag o' bits" which is all the replaced parts when you get the watch back. Based on US servicing.

The pricing of a service is on Omega's website but it is well, very well hidden. I don't think CW's service costs are that high but they should have a page on their website with the costs so that you know what you're getting in to. They should at least clean the case IMO.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

NeWard wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:54 pm
Dickchins wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:25 am I dont think the price is out of order for that watch. As outlined above, its to be expected over the years, especially as a brand grows.

What terrible experiences did you have with CW?

Without wanting to sound like a bit of a tool, its not something I want to dig back up and go back over. Safe to say I went from a giddy first time cw buyer, to owning 8 within 12 months. There wont be number 9. Which annoys me. The watches are lovely. Thats where the story ends for me unfortunately.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve yet to send a watch in for servicing, so I’ve got no skin in the game here. I can see CW saying they can’t quote a price for a watch sent in for a repair, but I don’t understand why they won’t provide up front prices (even if it’s just an estimate) for a standard service with a description of what the includes. It’s easy enough to say this is an estimate and additional costs might accrue based on what they find when they open the watch up.

When my C65 Trident Vintage comes due for a service I’ll likely NOT send it back to CW in the UK, especially it it’s out of warranty anyway. I would think any qualified jeweler can service a pretty standard movement.
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Sorry about your experience. It would be friendlier if CW were to stipulate all that “service” entails. I’ve not yet sent in a watch to them but I have had another watch serviced. I got an itemized list of what was to be done, which included cleaning and polishing (optional, but no extra cost). When I’ve taken in some of my quartz watches for battery swaps at my local shop they’ve cleaned my watches, included in the $10 price.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

I'm interested in this topic in part because I'm a fully signed-up serial CW owner/user and in part because I have used other service outlets for other brands.

In the second category I have used Omega whose servicing costs are available on their website, I have also used an independent, Swiss Time Services whose website is geared to "tell us what you've got and we'll quote you" but actually have a pricing structure online and I'll post a link to their Omega pricing structure here: https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/wp-cont ... list-1.pdf where I see that "ultrasonic cleaning of case" is integral.

In your best interests I explored their website and delved into "Other brands" where I hoped to, but failed to find Christopher Ward listed. Once again a pricing structure including integral "ultrasonic cleaning of case" https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/wp-cont ... e-list.pdf. Given that we're talking about our favourite brand of Swiss watch I suspect that they'd be happy to quote for work on a CW.

Here's a published breakdown of what they offer: https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/other-brands/

I have to say I've also sent watches to a one man band located in Wales. I'd phone him up, we'd have a chat, I'd send him the watch, he'd do the work and send the watch back with a hand-written invoice and I'd post him a cheque. Sadly that excellent service is no longer available he having gone into retirement. Of course there are other independents perfectly worthy of our patronage.

I realise that I've gone in a bit deep here but having done the work it seems silly to delete the draft post. I fully accepot that CW are perfectly at liberty to approach watch servicing, even the replacement of simple battery, in whatever way they like.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

250 quid for a bit of lubrication and little else doesn't seem good value to me.

CW needs to get it's act together in this area of work. Others have given examples of what the big boys do, and I can add my own personal satisfaction to a repair and service of my PO. I too walked away with a little bag of bits, after receiving a full breakdown of costs, based on the problems that had been identified.

If CW can't provide a service in-house at a cost and standard that reflects the expectation of owners, then consider contracting the service out.
'Tis me
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

The challenge of this thread is that everything is anecdotal. We’re all forced to draw conclusions based on individual, personal experiences. And we do that because CW is pretty silent in this.

It would seem to me the best course of action for CW would be transparency about watch services: an upfront cost for service with a breakdown of what a service includes. CW could always include a statement that servicing me reveal other issues that need to be addressed beyond what’s included in the service. Seems simple enough.

Considering I’d need to mail my watch from the US, I’m not likely to send in my watch in for a service to only then be given an estimate of cost.
Drew
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

It does seem a nonsense that there isn't a clear basic price structure. Imagine this, you take your car in to a main dealer (where you bought it from) for a scheduled service, ask how much it costs and get the reply - "we can't tell you until we see it". Really?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left