C60 MK3.5?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

C60 MK3.5?

Post by StrappedUp »

Naturally this thread will encourage some form of logo 'debate', but that's not the reason for it. Rather I'm trying to ascertain whether members of the forum think it would be beneficial for CW to release a facelifted C60 MK3 given the success of the C63 range.

CW released a facelifted MK2 with the 'Chr. Ward' to 'Christopher Ward' change, albeit just a simple dial print adjustment. I just wonder whether CW could breathe some new life into the MK3 range by switching to the same dial layout as the C63s?

The general consensus (forums/review sites/social media commentary etc) seems to be that the shift to logo at 12 and date at 6 is a positive one and initial sales would appear to back it up as a good move.

Personally, since the release of the C63s, I can't help but look at the C60 range and wish they were in the same format. What are your thoughts? Has your view on the C60 range changed since seeing the latest releases? Would this be a worthwhile, or worthless exercise for the guys at CW HQ?
Ryan
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: C60 MK3.5?

Post by exHowfener »

Sounds to me like it would muddy the waters to make the C60 & C63 too similar. For any manufacturer, there needs to be a definable difference between ranges, otherwise they just eat each others sales. I don't think it would make economic sense, but if I'm wrong then:
1) People will say so
2) CW will do as you suggest.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

It's much easier to change a logo position on a dial than it is to move the date wheel and change a dial's layout. Something that drastic would more likely happen with the C60 Mk 4. CW has a history of starting a design language and slowly building on it with subsequant models so that will probably be the case here in due time.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Move the logo, keep the rest - it's good.

I could be tempted by a bronze then....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Personal view, as I don't know any inside info, but I think CW have said the logo depends on what's needed to balance the dial. They have also heavily implied that the 9 o'clock position is a defining feature of the C60 Mk3.

So I would be very surprised if they moved the logo on the C60 Mk3. To do so would probably require moving the date to 6 o'clock to retain balance, which would then affect the batons etc, creating a lot of work. I suspect that if they change the logo it would be on any future C60 Mk4. But my money would be on it staying at 9 o'clock even then. But this is just my speculation. As Manuel in Fawlty Towers would say, "I know nothing".
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:17 pm Personally, since the release of the C63s, I can't help but look at the C60 range and wish they were in the same format. What are your thoughts? Has your view on the C60 range changed since seeing the latest releases? Would this be a worthwhile, or worthless exercise for the guys at CW HQ?
I wouldn't mind betting that you see the logo placement at 12 become a permanent fixture down the line. It has been a very divisive subject for too long a time. I would imagine that CW would just like to carry on their good watch work without this conversation simmering away in the background. I guess the sales figures for the C65 SC and the C63 range might help make their minds up.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:16 pm It has been a very divisive subject for too long a time.
Surely the fact that it is divisive means that people are divided over it, so why try to impose your own One Size Fits All solution? There are passionate advocates of 12 o’clock, I’m sure there are passionate advocates of 9 o’clock, there are plenty of people who are quite content with whatever they think looks best on the watch, and there are those who couldn’t give a set of simian nether parts.

Me? I’m somewhere between option three and the gelded monkey.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I thought Mike was pretty straight forward on the issue during the latest round of interviews. He said that all 3 variants have been in the design guide from the beginning. No date or date at 6 is center 12. 3 o'clock date is left at 9. Twin flags only is the 3rd option. He said he wants to move in that direction but didn't think the brand was quite there yet (he said there has been only 1 watch released like this to date).

Truth in advertising where the logo is doesn't matter one bit to me. I have 2 of each location and the location of the logo was never even a thought in my purchase decision tree. If they released an Ombré tomorrow with a logo at 12 it wouldn't have me putting mine on eBay.

To me, an applied twin flags logo might trump all of the options but I would like to see it in practice before making a final determination.

In the end, only they know the sales numbers so who knows. It seems that they did underestimate the demand for the C63 but it is a stretch in my opinion to say with any confidence that it was the logo that made the difference. It could equally be the size or any number of other factors.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Post by 5oclockhero »

Im lucky enough to have a C60 mkIII and a C63 GMT. I love them both and I like the logo as it is on both watches. It's good to do something a bit different occasionally. I'm fairly new to CW watches but you can't fail to notice the logo debate pretty quickly into ownership. My personal feeling is that the current typeface is clean and modern, and now that the brand is well established they should stick with it... and carry on putting it at 9 or 12 depending upon the model!
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

rkovars wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:35 pm
To me, an applied twin flags logo might trump all of the options but I would like to see it in practice before making a final determination.
For CW: I'd prefer a C60 MK4 with logo at 12 but I do own and like my C60 MK3 with logo at 9pm as it has the cool Twin Flags logo in the 12 o clock spot

Love @rkovars suggestion of an applied Twin Flags logo at 12 0'clock !!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I'm quite relaxed about the CW logo position and style. I do like the twin flags and think they'd look great on my C63. I can tend to look past a logo but must confess that the TRIBUS stands out to me as being very off putting (even if they had a watch that I liked). It's a sort of amateurish design that someone would doodle whilst bored on a conference call.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I'm with @Welshlad on this one, in that I'm sure I've heard from CW (Mike France?) at some stage that to have the logo @ 9 on the C60 Trident has now been adopted as a signature position.

Other watches may have the logo in different positions depending on the overall design criteria.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I think the logo may go to 12 on the C60 range as standard at some point. It might not be soon but when a new MK4 is released would be my guess, or just the twin flags.

Whilst the name at 9 may be seen as the design language for the C60, so many of the newer releases have had a logo at 12, whether it has a date at 6 or no date at all. The C65 range had the name at 9, now it varies.

Nobody often says that a Rolex sub with a date looks unbalanced do they, so I am not sure the CW balance theory stands up to much scrutiny - it is just a point of difference and drives plenty of discussion!

When you scroll through the site you see a mixture of lettering at 9, some at 12, even at 3 and then some with the twin flags and others without.
To me it looks muddled. Maybe it could signify a gradual change of approach but at some point I think it would be better to achieve more consistent branding and ideally in my opinion without any name at 9. I guess currently there is something for everyone though.

Personally I would be happy to pay at least £100 more for a MK4 C60 with name/logo at 12 - but I would also use a £100 off voucher of course :lol:
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:23 pm
strapline wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:16 pm It has been a very divisive subject for too long a time.
Surely the fact that it is divisive means that people are divided over it, so why try to impose your own One Size Fits All solution? There are passionate advocates of 12 o’clock, I’m sure there are passionate advocates of 9 o’clock, there are plenty of people who are quite content with whatever they think looks best on the watch, and there are those who couldn’t give a set of simian nether parts.

Me? I’m somewhere between option three and the gelded monkey.
Contentious might have been a better word, Steve. It's too early in the morning to think about gelded monkeys. :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

If the C63 line becomes one of their best sellers (after having one of their best debut sales!), I'd bet my bottom dollar the new C60s follow suit with the name at 12 and the date at 6. Repception has been really postive on the C63s and I haven't seen virtually anyone talk about the logo like usual. The 6 date has been the trend lately with nurmourous lines and it moderns things out a bit. I'm so used to the date being at 3 with CW watches that everytime I see the C63 the dial layout looks so fresh to me and I get a shock. :shock:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.