Is this a scratch on the crystal or the AR coating of my C63?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Is this a scratch on the crystal or the AR coating of my C63?

Post by rkovars »

Sapphire while scratch resistant isn't indestructible. Sapphire is very hard which makes it great against scratches but less so against impacts.
Could be any number of factors that caused it this time - angle, type of material and finish on the knob, etc. I wouldn't let it bother me. If I liked the watch, I'd have it repaired and move on.

Believe it or not plexiglass is the least likely to shatter due to impact (it flexes during the impact). It is the most likely to scratch. Hardlex or mineral crystal is really tempered plastic so it is harder in terms of scratch resistance (less so than sapphire) but also more prone to shattering. Sapphire is the least likely to scratch but is more likely to shatter due to the latticing of the underlying crystalline structure.

It is sometimes very tough to navigate the marketing hype. There is really no 'perfect' material.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

That's quite frankly a bargain for the crystal and a technicians time to swap it over.
You'd probably pay more to get one of those SKX aftermarket ones put in.

My LLD domed sapphire was replaced under warranty by Longines and came back with a receipt for £600 (nil for me to pay). It just said parts on the receipt, so don't even know if that was inc. labour charge :shock:
Ryan
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I would ask CW if they could return the old crystal so you can check again. I just can't believe you managed to scratch a sapphire crystal. The watchfinder guy has a video where he tries to scratch a crystal with a sharp knife, and completely fails. Maybe it would have cleaned off with a toothbrush and toothpaste. It would be good if you could examine the crystal again, anyway.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 pm I would ask CW if they could return the old crystal so you can check again. I just can't believe you managed to scratch a sapphire crystal. The watchfinder guy has a video where he tries to scratch a crystal with a sharp knife, and completely fails. Maybe it would have cleaned off with a toothbrush and toothpaste. It would be good if you could examine the crystal again, anyway.
It might if it was material from whatever you hit deposited on the crystal but not if the crystal was damaged. Usually they use diamond paste and a wheel to buff out scratches on sapphire. And that would be for very light surface stuff.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^
I meant more to clarify if it was actually just superficial, although I expect the OP did make absolutely sure.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

A tube of diamond polish paste costs almost half of what CW charges to replace it, depending on what kind you get. I was going to say you could get some and try to buff it out yourself, because if you mess it up, well you were going to need to replace it anyway. But the cost is reasonable to just replace it, so it’s up to you whether worth trying it yourself.

Sapphire isn’t impervious, like mentioned above certain conditions can cause a scratch. My wife’s movado has a scratch and she didn’t even hit it on anything as far as we can tell.

Agreed with everyone else that there isn’t a warranty out there that would cover this. Get a good insurance policy for your watches. My watch insurance covers accidental damage like this with no deductible, and is a very reasonable yearly premium.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:34 pm That's quite frankly a bargain for the crystal and a technicians time to swap it over.
You'd probably pay more to get one of those SKX aftermarket ones put in.
Thought the same, and I was surprised as to how cheap it was for the part cost and labour. It may be a fairly quick job but as an end to end process in a clean environment it is a bargain.

The wait time is annoying but under the circumstances, working conditions and probable backlogs it is to be expected.

Little chance this could this be considered a warranty repair either. Hopefully back on the wrist soon.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 pm I would ask CW if they could return the old crystal so you can check again. I just can't believe you managed to scratch a sapphire crystal. The watchfinder guy has a video where he tries to scratch a crystal with a sharp knife, and completely fails.
Probably a chip rather than a scratch, in the right(wrong) alignment of circumstances, it does happen to sapphire.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

0uatiOW wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:47 pm Or place your wrist behind your back, crystal forward whenever you pass through a doorway. I’d do that. No, I really do.
I do the same. And at this point it’s simply an automatic response as I go through doors! I don’t even think about it.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:21 pm
0uatiOW wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:47 pm Or place your wrist behind your back, crystal forward whenever you pass through a doorway. I’d do that. No, I really do.
I do the same. And at this point it’s simply an automatic response as I go through doors! I don’t even think about it.
You're a rum old bunch! ROFL :dielaughing:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:24 pm You're a rum old bunch! ROFL :dielaughing:
Surely, we can’t be that odd for doing that? The door jams in my school are all metal. The last thing I want to do is damage my watch against them.
Drew
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:24 pm You're a rum old bunch! ROFL :dielaughing:
Surely, we can’t be that odd for doing that? The door jams in my school are all metal. The last thing I want to do is damage my watch against them.
Perhaps odd, but in good company! You're certainly not alone in acknowledging the existance of wristwatchelbow or jambophobia. Those are real things- they're in the dictionary! :lol:
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No need at work. I'm so old and scary that the kids race to open doors for me...especially on the way out for some reason. :grandpa:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 pm
And those effing brass doorknobs or door handles that catch your wrist as you pass by. That’s not a risk I’m willing to take, no sir.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
hucifwr

Post by hucifwr »

Quick update: well it's finally back on the wrist, with a pristine new crystal. Lesson learned, I suppose, that sapphire can chip if you're unfortunate to knock it at the wrong angle.

To be fair to CW customer service, they were very helpful and responsive, and the total cost of repair was very reasonable. Credit where credit's due.

Just a PSA though, guys - their repairs team is pretty backed up due to COVID staff shortages. For me, it took just shy of 3 months.