C63 Elite - innovation or gimmick?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C63 Elite - innovation or gimmick?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

desmodue wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:27 pm Of course it's a gimmick. Mechanical watches are a gimmick by simple analysis.

A quartz watch is both more accurate and reliable, inexpensive and can be designed to look exactly like any watch currently available.
So why do mechanical watches even exist? Because people want them because they are mechanical and delicate and unnecessarily complicated...because it's a gimmick.

The problem, if there is one is that we tend to scoff at gimmicks we don't agree with and rationalize the ones we enjoy.
And then of course there is the aesthetic consideration. An aesthete would understand why he or she chooses to own mechanical, delicate and complicated objects. If all were reduced to the lowest common denominator of pure practicality, what a dull and lifeless world we would live in.

I will freely admit that I could possibly have made a greater overall contribution to the well-being of humanity by studying chemistry instead of Cervantes. Still, I’m rather glad that I didn’t.

It’s also probably why grown men and women get all misty eyed over 80-year-old aeroplanes. Some things just speak to the soul.

Pray allow us our little indulgences.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

desmodue wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:27 pm Of course it's a gimmick. Mechanical watches are a gimmick by simple analysis.

A quartz watch is both more accurate and reliable, inexpensive and can be designed to look exactly like any watch currently available.
So why do mechanical watches even exist? Because people want them because they are mechanical and delicate and unnecessarily complicated...because it's a gimmick.

The problem, if there is one is that we tend to scoff at gimmicks we don't agree with and rationalize the ones we enjoy.
This is complete tosh, sorry. What is the analysis you refer to? The Oxford dictionary definition of a gimmick is: a trick or device intended to attract attention rather than fulfil a useful purpose. The mechanical watch was a complex early solution do displaying the time, using the greatest mechanical know how available at its genesis. Later, timekeeping advanced with the development of batteries and electrical circuits. There is no trick involved here that I can see, and a mechanical watch certainly performed a very worthy function.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Well, I seem to be there now. This C63 Elite is now my C63 Elite. I've got a strap and a sized bracelet.
Thanks for bearing with me.
20210611_100636.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Compare a mellifluous mechanical wall or long case clock, with a relatively soul-less quartz version. I know which I prefer. One difference of course is that it's easy to regulate a pendulum clock. Mechanical watches are hardly a gimmick, having been around first. You may as well say vinyl records are a gimmick.
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:40 am Well, I seem to be there now. This C63 Elite is now my C63 Elite. I've got a strap and a sized bracelet.
Thanks for bearing with me.
20210611_100636.jpg
Looks good, I like it. :thumbup:
Trying not to buy any more watches...
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

I am thinking of purchasing this watch. Trying to decide if I should buy on bracelet. I would probably only wear on the rubber or ocean plactic strap so it is worth it to buy the bracelet?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ssholloway21 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:35 pm I am thinking of purchasing this watch. Trying to decide if I should buy on bracelet. I would probably only wear on the rubber or ocean plactic strap so it is worth it to buy the bracelet?
See #10
Drew
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

ssholloway21 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:35 pm I am thinking of purchasing this watch. Trying to decide if I should buy on bracelet. I would probably only wear on the rubber or ocean plactic strap so it is worth it to buy the bracelet?
If you are never going to use the bracelet and you have no plan to sell the watch in future, I think it makes sense to buy it on a strap.

However, this bracelet is pretty good value and I have to say it's also comfortable due to lightness and adjustability.
Richard
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

Thanks, I think I will just buy all three options. I guess good to have!
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

CW bracelets are great value in general. QR pins, and on the fly adjustment. Other brands charge more for less.