New Sealander GMT Hand Alignment

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

New Sealander GMT Hand Alignment

Post by redmonaco »

Is it just me that thinks the GMT hand is not aligned correctly in this CWard promotional video...???

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/546564171" width="640" height="1137" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="https ... ></iframe>
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Re: New Sealander GMT Hand Alignment

Post by mabotham »

Yep seems a little out.
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

Just stupid...🙄
kidevil
CW-watches: 2

Post by kidevil »

It was because of the constant anxiety about this problem that I sold my C65 GMT. Any GMT watch may at some point encounter a problem with the GMT hand and servicing it doesn’t always solve the problem.
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Can you kindly advise why servicing GMT mechanism will not help from technical point of view please?
Thank you in advance.
kidevil wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 pm It was because of the constant anxiety about this problem that I sold my C65 GMT. Any GMT watch may at some point encounter a problem with the GMT hand and servicing it doesn’t always solve the problem.
Korn Saksakorn S.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

kidevil wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 pm It was because of the constant anxiety about this problem that I sold my C65 GMT. Any GMT watch may at some point encounter a problem with the GMT hand and servicing it doesn’t always solve the problem.
Couldn’t this be true of _any_ hands on any watch? I can’t see cowering in fear over the hypothetical possibility of something potentially going wrong at some unknown point in the future. My C9 GMT is a decade old and still just fine. If the watch is working correctly, enjoy it until it stops working correctly. If it is still under warranty, they fix it. If it is no longer under warranty, how much could it cost to fix really? A new SW300-2 movement isn’t going to cost an arm and a leg.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
kidevil

Post by kidevil »

KornSaksakorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:28 am Can you kindly advise why servicing GMT mechanism will not help from technical point of view please?
Thank you in advance.
Bad workmanship I guess? I had a Hamilton GMT with ETA 2893. Came back from service with the GMT hand misaligned. Sent it back to the guy and it returned the same. I then tried to do it myself and couldn’t resolve or even explain the problem. The GMT hand looked right when I assembled it but as the watch started to run, it would get knocked out of place. Maybe I’m just unlucky.
kidevil

Post by kidevil »

thomcat00 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:36 am
Couldn’t this be true of _any_ hands on any watch? I can’t see cowering in fear over the hypothetical possibility of something potentially going wrong at some unknown point in the future. My C9 GMT is a decade old and still just fine. If the watch is working correctly, enjoy it until it stops working correctly. If it is still under warranty, they fix it. If it is no longer under warranty, how much could it cost to fix really? A new SW300-2 movement isn’t going to cost an arm and a leg.
You’re right. I think I may give GMT watches another try at some point in future, when I’m actually able to travel to another country. 🥲
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

But, that's the problem. It's not hypothetical when they can't even get the watch they use to demonstrate the GMT workings to be correct. It's put me off buying one now.
kidevil

Post by kidevil »

redmonaco wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:44 am
But, that's the problem. It's not hypothetical when they can't even get the watch they use to demonstrate the GMT workings to be correct. It's put me off buying one now.
I still think mechanical GMT is a nice idea, but is just another little thing in life that can go wrong. But on the flip side, we don’t choose to wear mechanical watches because they are technically robust, do we? Like a good product owner would say, it’s a feature, not a problem. 🤣
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Hand alignment was never on my radar until I had my C60 GMT misaligned. It was actually the hour hand that was misaligned (currently in for repair)

Now my innocence is ruined as I have checked other watches in my collection and have found slight misalignments.

Thankfully I'm not super sensitive to it anymore particularly as most are only off by a couple of minutes or so.

So far my WISdom has spoiled the following for me:
1. seconds hand alignment on a quartz (does it hit the markers?!)
2. bezel alignment
3. indices alignment
4. end link wobble
5. the "quartz wobble" second hand movement
6. crown wobble
7. the way the date changes at midnight (which I never actually witness...)
8. whether the luminosity keeps me awake all night with its brilliance (its positive if it does)
9. whether the crown logo and/or the case back logo are in the upright position.
10. the noise of the rotor spinning on an automatic movement

Sorry if my list spoils it for someone else...

Im eyeing up an Omega AT quartz and boy oh boy and I obsessing over most of the above...
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^^
1. I suppose it's a matter of the accuracy of installation of the hand, but there may be a bit more to it than simply that. Perhaps it's affected by gravity and other things.
2,3,4. probably relate to design tolerances, and presumably cost.
5. GS charge a lot to deal with this, I understand
6. I am not sure what you mean
7. My more expensive watches seem to change instantly at midnight. Easily checked when setting the time
8. I never notice
9. sign of good finishing. also screw orientation on dials and case backs
10. Lucky I'm a bit hard of hearing.

I was going to add another thought, though. Maybe it's actually quite technically difficult to make the GMT hour hand be adjustable by multiples of either 15 or 30 degrees from the clock hour hand.