If you could choose just one...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
the_mad_nader

If you could choose just one...

Post by the_mad_nader »

Greetings all! I've been an admirer of Christopher Ward watches for a few years now, but have not yet jumped in the deep end by buying one new. With the release of the C63 Sealander (and some well-timed and rather enticing promos) I may finally make the leap, but was very curious to read the thoughts of other CW enthusiasts.

My question is this: from the current catalog of CW watches, which is your favorite and why? I don't want to place any artificial limits on your answers - you don't have to say your favorite for under USD $1,000 (unless the relatively low price is why it's your favorite). You can consider it's significance from a technical, historical, aesthetic perspective...or not! I want to know your thoughts.

I don't even think I can answer this myself, but some of my thoughts are:
  • The C63 Elite is handsome and the retractable crown is eye-catching
  • The C65 Super Compressor case impresses me as the only properly sprung super compressor on the market
  • The C60 Sapphire's transparent dial is completely stunning
  • The C1 Moonglow has such a unique look and I'm a sucker for moonphases
  • The C65 GMT Worldtimer is such a clean, elegant, multi-function combo watch
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: If you could choose just one...

Post by jkbarnes »

Welcome to the forum!

Intriguing question. This is a constantly shifting target for me. I don’t know that I could name just one. The short list would probably include the new C63 GMT in white, the C65 SC in Deep Blue, and perhaps the C65 Worldtimer.

I’m a big fan of the Moonglow and the Worldglow, but they’re just to big for my wrists.
Drew
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by copemanphoto »

Welcome aboard.

Like you I am impressed with the Sealander series, but I am leaning towards the C63 GMT in white on a bracelet, and to date my only other CW is an original C60 Trident Bronze. A couple of others that I am interested in is the C65 Dartmouth or the C65 Trident Blue Automatic.

I jumped on the Bronze when it was first released because CW nailed it. A bronze dive watch with a bronze bezel, so no chance of dissimilar metals in salt water causing pitting from galvanic corrosion, unlike Tudor owners who had to deal with pitting on their bronze C41 diver and it's aluminum bezel.

The C63 GMT in white looks stunning and the GMT complication comes with 56 hours PR. IMHO destined to become another CW classic.

Good luck with your decision and let us know which one you get....

Cheers, Mike.
Cheers, Mike.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Welcome!

You and I have similar tastes I think. I already have the C65 SC, the C60 sapphire, and the C1 Moonglow. I love them all.

Out of the new sealander collection, it’s the elite that I’m going for once I save enough. And when I was in the market for a GMT, I was so close to pulling the trigger on the C65 worldtimer, but opted for the standard C60 GMT instead.

As far as choosing just one, it would be the C65 SC out of my current collection. I wear it the most. The deep blue color is beautiful, and it’s a great size. I’d prefer a date, but it obviously doesn't bother me too much since I wear it all the time.

The C1 Moonglow is one of my favorites to wear, but I wear it less because it’s one of my more expensive watches and I’d like to keep it looking nice. I tend to scratch up my watches easily...

I wear my sapphire second most out of all my watches. It’s kind of my #GODO, and I worry least about this one getting dinged up for some reason. Maybe the price point.

However, I think the C63 elite will be it once I get my hands on it. Those specs for that price, you just cannot go wrong. The retractable crown is cool, it’ll be super lightweight, and in a perfectly sized package.

Happy hunting, let us know what you go for and please post some pics!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It would be the C63 Elite for me, on the Ti bracelet.

But I'm holding out for a blue dial version... :yawn:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

I've been wearing my C63 non-stop since it arrived. It's great - light, legible, an unobtrusive size, and accurate. The bracelet is very comfortable and the quick adjustment feature is a real bonus in our current UK weather.

IMG_5429 (2).JPG

I've had a fair few CW's over the years and this is certainly one of the best.
Richard
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Welcome, good question one that I’ve asked myself several times. I can’t say that I’m tempted to buy a CW from the current range, but if I was to receive a gift I would be happy to add a C65 Deep Blue Super Compressor to my collection. Mainly because I find the design and engineering interesting.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

Great question because it is where I am now as being new! I purchased the Blue C60 Sapphire (first mechanical watch) first in February. It is great and I ordered on the rubber strap to get under the $800 U.S. import limit so I need to order the bracelet. I just got last month the Super Compressor in Ocean Blue. It is amazing! Super comfortable and just looks cool. I wear it mostly on the black strap. I did order the bracelet and it looks totally different, still awesome though. Next on my list are:
1. C60 Trident Black Dial - I dont have a black dial/bezel watch
2. C63 Elite - very good specs. light weight and push in crown. I shoot sporting clays alot and this is perfect.
3. Moonglow - just a great looking piece. A moon complication is a must. CW did a good modern version of this.

With the release today of the Orange C60 Sapphire, I may have to buy that too because I want an orange dial in the collection. I am just waiting to see some real life video on youtube. If you only have to pick one to purchase. I would go with the Super Compressor. It wears great and looks stunning in real life (especially outside in the sun).
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

There have been a lot of really good releases in recent times and you won’t go far wrong. You also know the phrase ‘buy what you like’
However….c63 elite. A remarkable watch for the money
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

I’m a bit old school with my favourites. Not too old, but not in the current range.

The Mark 2 C60s were for me a combination of the excellently-engineered and the ruggedly pragmatic, with one exception - polished centre links on the bracelet proved to be a less than ideal choice for a tool watch. If only they’d come in 40mm.

The C8s are something quite special, particularly the models with the extra complications. I have the UTC - big (44mm) but flat, it has presence, and the sandwich dial with the addition of applied indexes and raised inner bezel give it a 3 layered texture unlike any other CW watch I can think of.

The C7 Rapide Automatics were at the time the most finely balanced dials of any CW Production watch ever built, noteworthy for the applied Twin Flags only detail. That alone gives it pole position in my view, but that’s not all - the 4 part case is exceptional, and all the reason you needed to select the automatic over the quartz - I do hope they bring it back.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot