Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Short notice advice needed

Post by Deks »

Hello all,

I'm sorry for asking for advice or comments at short notice like this but thankyou for anyone replying. I'll give a little insight about me before my question in the next paragraph...

I'm new to these forums but already feel I'm part of a family which is something I desperately need. My situation is complicated due to massive health and consequential mental health problems. I live in a massive amount of pain, I can't afford even the cheapest watches but I need them in my life to get through each day. A few will know I have serious back problems that may end my life (at my hands) if my back operation is a failure in the next 2 months. I lost my job and gained back another job on less money with the same company after covid and am spending every penny I earn on CW watches to get me through the hell I'm going through. The pills have kicked in I better ask my question...

Do people trust the sales on Ebay of CW watches? I need the C65 LE diver with yellow face in my life. I need another happy watch but I worry why someone would sell an LE brand new watch starting at 99p with no reserve! If I win the bid and it arrives (or doesn't) do I have insurance from Ebay that it was sold as brand new but arrives used etc? The item states no returns but it says brand new and if it isnt then I assume I have some protection?

Thanks for any advice and just to add I will make a promise that if my operation is a 100% success I intend to give away one of my watches to this forum or buy a watch for a member which will be a small price compared the probable outcome that I live the rest of my life in similar pain (watch out for a future post)

Take care all

Deks (Mike)
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Short notice advice needed

Post by sproughton »

I can't really comment on eBay as it's something I rarely use but I hope your non-watch troubles are resolved with your upcoming operation. I'll have my fingers crossed for you.
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

Deks - First of all I wish you all the best with your overall health and upcoming operation. The answer to your question is yes, even on items with no returns you are given protection with eBay's guarantee which is shown in the upper right corner of each listing and states:

Shop with confidence
eBay Money Back Guarantee

Get the item you ordered or get your money back.

So if the listing declares the item as brand new and perfect and it arrives in any other condition, eBay would provide you with a refund as explained here: https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Hope that helps put your mind at ease about a purchase you're considering!

- Bill
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Do bear in mind that the CW guarantee period starts from when they sold it. So even if the watch hasn't been worn, the warranty clock will be ticking away. Might be worth asking the seller when the guarantee started on the CW paperwork.
There's always time for one more.
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Deks »

Thanks both,

Theres 15 mins to go on the C65 yellow Diver. I think this could the happy watch to get me through to my 3 vertabrae fused! I need to smile (altho way overspent yet again) and I think I need to go for this one. I'll post a pic if it turns out well
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

A couple of quick thoughts on the watch. If you pay via PayPal then if the watch doesn’t arrive you would be covered.

If the watch arrives slightly damaged or not “as new” as you would like, then CW will still repair it for you if needed, including getting it re-cased to look like new. The cost of this isn’t as much as you would think, but I don’t know the actual price. The last time I know of anyone doing this it cost around £100 but this will have increased. Also for reference I had a Bremont done for £225 around 6 months ago which is probably more than CW would charge. If you bid what you are comfortable paying taking into account the price of any repair then you won’t end up with something you can’t affordably get sorted.

Good luck
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'd bid with confidence, you are covered on eBay as stated above.

I wish you all the best with your back operation.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

To answer the question about why anyone would be selling a brand new CW watch with a low starting bid and no reserve, many sellers feel safe in doing so on a brand that historically has a lot of interest and sells well. It gets the bidding started but is likely to go for more than the modest starting price.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I assume the item was bought in the sale in January, and therefore has been sold at a profit.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I do your back operation goes well Mike.
eBay backs the buyer more than the seller really so you should be perfectly fine mate.
Most of the watches that are brand new but unused on ebay are bought in a sale to make a profit.
You can tell by the serial number if it starts with an S or an N.
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Deks »

Thanks all. Out of interest how much were the LE yellow C65's sold for in the sale? I guess why I saw a seller listing 2 of the same watch. Just for info when I lost the sale I bought one via "buy it now" as I need a happy yellow faced watch to keep me going. I blame Ferg for teasing me in the CWL thread with how this watch can be a happy watch :-)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Deks »

Thanks Kip thats a really helpful link 👍
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

This may be too late but:

I've bought a few watches off ebay with no issues. Only once did the watch not arrive (from Russia) - I got my money back with no problems. ebay tends to be on the side of the buyer rather than the seller. Make sure you use PayPal for full cover = if they won't do PayPal, think seriously about the transaction, you will not get your money back from a bank transfer. Look at the feedback, but not overmuch, everyone has to start somewhere. You can always contact a seller before the end of an auction to get a feel for them - If in ANY doubt, walk away - you can (almost) always buy again from another seller.
Why would someone start at 99p? Because they can just end the sale or not send the watch if they don't get enough for it. It's one bad review against losing cash.

And finally, all the best with your health issues.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Hey Mike,

I just wanted to offer you some support with the back issue, I read your post this morning and it really resonated. Like you I have suffered with my back so I can fully imagine what you're going through. Try to keep positive and stay in the fight. Often with back pain you're starting out on a marathon; it's certainly not a sprint with quick-fix solutions. Take enjoyment from this great hobby of watch collection and learning. There are many friendly/helpful people on this forum, too; it's a nice space to share.

If you feel your mood dipping, check in with the 'watchaholic's alternative dictionary' thread, there's some hilarious stuff on there which should help to lift your spirits. Seriously, look after yourself and the very best to you for your pending operation.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?