Short notice advice needed

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Re: Short notice advice needed

Post by johncolescarr »

This message will be too late for that particular watch but I buy and sell most of my watches through eBay so can offer some advice.

I wont comment on your personal situation as I cannot imagine what this is like, so will stick to something I do know about!

eBay is trying to rival Amazon in terms of customer service so this means the buyer has a lot more power than the seller.

eBay's money back guarantee means that there is often little evidence needed from the buyer to initiate a return. Personally I'm fine with this as a seller since I get the protection as a buyer and so this favours reasonable, honest people in my opinion.

In summary, buy from eBay with confidence, however you will pay a premium for watches in my opinion since there number of potential buyers is very much larger than say on this forum, expect a circa 25% increase in price, its only if a watch is poorly photographed or not labelled correctly you can get a bargain these days

Also, you will sometimes be funding the scalpers, which is why I tend to buy used to avoid this (have on occasion bought new if the price is right)

Example: I recently bought a trident C60 mk2 from ebay and found a large fibre from the rehaut area lurking underneath the crystal (not visible in the photos). I contacted the buyer who told me to send to CW, I said i'd like to return and they claimed as they'd bought it second hand it wasnt their problem. Well I submitted a money back guarantee claim and within all of 15 minutes they'd settled in my favour.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

I'm a bit late to this party, but thought I'd contribute.

I buy and sell watches on eBay a lot (I.E. 100s over the years) and find it a great platform.

Only twice have I bought watches that I'd deemed to be well below what was described. On one occasion the seller agreed a partial refund and on the other occasion, I returned the watch for a refund.

As has been mentioned by others, there's pretty good protection for buyers, but I've never needed to involve eBay in any disputes and make any 'claims'.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Hi Deks, Hope your situation improves :)

Like you, I had a rough spell (2 brain surgeries, 2 regimens of chemo, plus radiation). I found watches and in particular, CWs were a way to bring excitement into my life - researching, searching, and waiting in anticipation. So, you are not alone in turning to watches as a source of escape.

I'd like to make a suggestion, that may help you extend the joy from your new hobby without sending you to the poor house. Consider finding a less expensive brand to follow. Perhaps a brand that has an unusual feature that is idenified throughout the lineup. For instance Bertucci watches have fixed springbars and make great beaters. Searching for a watch with great lume, I developed an interest in the Szanto brand; great deals can be found from $70-150. The lume competes well against my Seikos at a fraction of the cost.

I also have an interest in models from Camden Watch Co. Also, An Assembled in the US brand that seems to be taking a similar path as CW is Vaer. It is one of the brands that I search for on eBay every week. Even new they offer a lot af bang for the buck.

Probably my most affordable medicine now is my new obsession with straps. They can really change the character of a watch. Lately I have been researching leather and other materials more than my next CW. :shock:

Best wishes
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Hi all,

I've been away from the forums for a couple of days and come back to all your brilliant replies. Thankyou all so much for the replies. The back has been terrible today i'm struggling to walk with the back in spasm but also in my bum and groin area which is more hip related which is worrying. Im on my max dose of painkillers so im getting by.

As mentioned I bought my new yellow C65 happy diver watch via paypal on Ebay. It still hasnt arrived yet but it was only Sunday I bought it so fingers crossed all is well. Im not worried after the assurances and I cant wait for it to arrive. Im obsessed with my collection at the moment and love changing the straps wearing multiple watches each day (as mentioned by Leon about straps):-). They bring me real joy and help make each day liveable even with all the pain im in :-)

I'm babbling on again but just to say everyone I gave talked in these forums has been really nice snd helpful and I want to say thankyou for having me.

Take care all

Deks (Mike)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Congrats! Of course post pics when it arrives
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Deks »

I guess we can end this thread.
My watch arrived today and it is definitely brand new. The main thing its a beautiful watch. (Thanks Ferg and the other poster on the CWL daily thread who got me to obsess over this watch). It really is a lovely happy watch. Maybe this is the watch I will look at and decide life is still worth living...

I want to continue living and here maybe is the watch that stops me doing something stupid....

20210506_125720.jpg
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Excellent news Mike. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm glad its worked out for you and you've got your own personal piece of Summer Sun. :clap: :clap:

Enjoy it and think of the camaraderie here on the Forum when you do.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Congratulations, it looks great and a top picture too.

Hope you enjoy wearing it and trying out different strap options :thumbup:.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Great news that it worked out well Mike :clap:
They are a superb watch and certainly brighten up any day 8)
Watches keep me going also and make the day just bit more special ;)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Great addition and photo, Mike.

I have this combo with the blue dial and I agree it’s a real sunshine watch. Enjoy! 8)

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hi Mike, watches or whatever brings you some distraction/focus thats not your immediate condition are valuable (in my experience). This one really fits the bill for this, its great!
Watches have fulfilled that role for me (and many others) too 👍.

The camaraderie and interaction from groups like this is even more valuable, whether its a quick hello, admiring someone else's amazing watch, dreaming of the next grail with fellow inmates or just babbling on for a bit. Many people on here and other communication forums have been through genuinely dark times, the empathy and friendship expressed is genuine and I hope gives some light, however big or small.

Enjoy your amazing, happy shiny watch, its really lovely.. and don't forget to drop in and interact. Your contribution and that of all members makes this community a little richer.
See, you've even inspired me to waffle on ridiculously 😉
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations Mike. It looks like a great buy. Very bright and cheerful.

We are looking forward to some photos.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Deks »

Thankyou for the kind words and I hope you don't mind me adding one final note.

I took the plunge today and commited to having the double fusion to my back on the 21st June! Fingers crossed that all goes well and to keep on the subject of watches I will be wearing my happy watches as much as possible leading up to this date! Eek

Talk soon

Mike (Deks)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Best of luck in advance of your double infusion on the 21st of June Mike.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Hope your operation goes well Mike, I’m sure I’m not the only one on here that is eager to hear how it all goes. In such a short space of time you’ve become one of the forum family and I’m sure I can speak on behalf of those who might not read this to say we all have our fingers crossed for you.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.