Might the C63 GMT kill off the C65 GMT?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Might the C63 GMT kill off the C65 GMT?

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm
rkovars wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:44 pm Also the C65 is the only model with a steel rotating bezel in GMT. So it has some added functionality on its own not just overlap.
That’s a really good point I hadn’t thought about. And as noted by someone else, the C65 GMT skews more dress watch than the C63 GMT.

My initial post was primarily driven by cost, as the C63 is a decent chunk of change less than the C65. For me personally, I don’t know that the handset and rotating bezel would be worth the extra cost. And anyway, I prefer the look of the C63 over the C65, so it’s a moot point I guess.
Definitely what appeals to you should trump almost everything else. Having talked it over in another thread it may be just a pile of small things adding to the overall cost. I suppose it could also be that the SW330-2 is coming in at a lower cost. It isn't unreasonable for that to happen. It is a refinement of an existing design and not a new design. It will be interesting to see if the newer movement moves to the other GMT options (I would think it would drop in) and if their cost comes down. There will be some added economy of scale too - a couple of extra skews using the same movement.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Might the C63 GMT kill off the C65 GMT?

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:37 pm
It will be interesting to see if the newer movement moves to the other GMT options (I would think it would drop in) and if their cost comes down. There will be some added economy of scale too - a couple of extra skews using the same movement.
Interesting indeed! It seems logical to standardize an entire line (GMTs) around the same movement for all the reasons you state. I wonder though, if potentially dropping the price of the C65 GMT might upset previous buyers who payed more.

I’m inclined to think the pricing of the C63 line is driven by marketing more than actual cost. But I also have ZERO background in business, so what do I know! :lol:
Drew