A smaller C63 Auto?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: A smaller C63 Auto?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

One thing that I can now mention was quite interesting. As you may know, the Admin Team had a meeting with Mike, Adrian and Jörg back in December, when we got our first look at the Sealander range. Mike said at the time that they were seeing a sharp decline in demand for dress watches, and that the pandemic has contributed significantly to what he called the deformalisation of the world. Adrian also mentioned that they were looking to find a more modern look for the dress watch concept.

I think the C63 Auto on either the bracelet or an appropriate strap would do a pretty good job.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Interesting comment AVO. I can certainly see casual watches like the C63 Auto and GMT / AT / OP becoming the de facto "dress" watch for many people. It's dressy enough for anything short of a tuxedo, but looks great with jeans and a t-shirt. Casual watches such as these are pretty much the perfect "one watch" for most people, present company excluded.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Already owning a 38mm C65 Trident Vintage II is what keeps me from getting a C63. The Sealander looks like a great watch, and certainly very popular. Given how overlooked the smaller C65 seems to be these days makes me wonder if a smaller C63 would be successful. I find my sweet spot for watches is 38-41mm. I have a few dress watches at 35mm. They get wrist time but not as much as my C65s.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I’d be up for a small change in size, 36mm would probably be the smallest I could pull off.
I really like the more modern (sporty) look of the Sealander - beautiful case, deep black dial, great handset and the ability to look amazing on pretty much any type of strap/bracelet. Size is not stopping me getting one, but the absence of a COSC movement option is. For something that is supposed to be a good “daily” watch, I’d buy one is a heartbeat if it came with a guaranteed accurate movement!
Keep well, all.
C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
David. S
Guru
Guru

Post by David. S »

Jcalder68 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:20 am I’d be up for a small change in size, 36mm would probably be the smallest I could pull off.
I really like the more modern (sporty) look of the Sealander - beautiful case, deep black dial, great handset and the ability to look amazing on pretty much any type of strap/bracelet. Size is not stopping me getting one, but the absence of a COSC movement option is. For something that is supposed to be a good “daily” watch, I’d buy one is a heartbeat if it came with a guaranteed accurate movement!
Keep well, all.
C
I agree about a COSC movement, I would always go for that option if it's possible, especially as according to Mike France it only adds around £150 to the price.
I appreciate a local watchmaker could regulate the movement for better accuracy but having the COSC certificate takes the watch to a different level.

David
These users thanked the author David. S for the post:
Jcalder68
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

It may not be COSC certified, but I have found my Sealander GMT model with the improved 56 hour power reserve to be extremely accurate! Mine has been running within the COSC limits for weeks. And, it is the perfect size for how it sits on my wrist :thumbup: .

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
Jcalder68
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
David. S
Guru
Guru

Post by David. S »

WileyECoyote wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:18 pm It may not be COSC certified, but I have found my Sealander GMT model with the improved 56 hour power reserve to be extremely accurate! Mine has been running within the COSC limits for weeks. And, it is the perfect size for how it sits on my wrist :thumbup: .

Delmar
I'm pleased your Sealander is running so well, I have a couple of non COSC watches that also run within a couple of seconds a day.
But I also have a c65 gmt World timer that is out by around 19 seconds a day, technically there is nothing wrong with it as its inside the tolerance for the movement, but I don't enjoy wearing it, so it's booked in to be regulated locally..
If you buy a standard movement its a bit hit or miss what you will get, if it's COSC certified it's guaranteed to be accurate.

D
These users thanked the author David. S for the post:
Jcalder68
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

^^^ Previous three posts.
I have had several non-COSC certified movements in a variety of watches over the years. Sometimes they have run well, sometimes they have run not so well. The irritation for me though is their inconsistency in accuracy, and my old C65 GMT is a classic here - it started at about +2sec a day, but then, for no apparent reason, it started losing approx -12sec a day. At this point it was returned to CW who regulated it at a minimal cost. On return, it was good (approx +3sec a day gain) but then, a month or two later it suddenly jumped to +15sec a day. But then, a week or two later it was running to 0sec. Go figure…
My point here is an understanding of timekeeping consistency. I have learnt that my COSC Lympstone runs at about -2sec a day. This is irrespective of position, irrespective of wearing and irrespective of if I keep it in my watch winder or not. Likewise, my C60 Elite 1000 runs at around +3sec.
This is what I’d really like from an everyday / GADA / GoDo watch; accuracy and consistency. As long as I can pick it up at the start of the day, know where it’s timekeeping was the day before, and be able to predict where it’s timekeeping would be at the end of the day, then I’d be happy.
I realise that there might be a call for a quartz movement here, but with CW’s current decision not to go with these movements, a COSC certified automatic movement option, for me, would be a great decision.
Just my 2p (and 2sec worth)
Keep well,
C
These users thanked the author Jcalder68 for the post:
David. S
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

I do understand why you would prefer a COSC certified watch. I own a non COSC C60 Blue Saphire that has consistently gained about 20 seconds per day since I bought it over a year ago. Pretty annoying because I reset the time about once a week if I am wearing it everyday. My COSC Morgan 3 Wheeler with the SH21 movement keeps perfect time. I can envision COSC certification being an option in the future for the CW flagship C60 Trident & C63 Sealander ranges. Like it has been mentioned, COSC certification doesn't add that much to the price.
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
David. S
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE