Discuss Christopher Ward watches
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Can I wear my watch while Golfing ?

Post by magicman »

Hello

I can't remember where, but yesterday I read about a watch, could be the C63.

But the thing that caught my eye was that the author, mentioned playing Golf, wearing the watch.

I have always removed my watch when playing, as I thought it could get damaged.
But it's a C60 Lympstone I'm wearing today.
I guess it should be fine, but is it something to avoid ?
I used to wear an old Mako and use the Bezel to track my shots, but I seem to remember it broke, so I bought a Garmin golf watch.

Now I use my phone for Yardages, so my wrist is Bare, am I being too precious, removing the Lympstone ?

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Re: Can I wear my watch while Golfing ?

Post by BobMunro »

Mixed messages on this, Steve, Some say avoid it, while others say pulling a car door shut carries more force. Dry fairways can be jarring though - especially when you don't know how to take a divot (like me!). I believe autos are more at risk than manual winds.

Phil Mickelson always wears a Cellini when he plays, but a manual rather than automatic. But Bubba Watson wears a £500k Richard Mille when playing!!

Basically I think it's probably ok and I always wear a watch when playing, usually an auto. But if you don't want to take the risk but still want to wear a watch then a quartz is the compromise.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

BobMunro wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:23 pm Mixed messages on this, Steve, Some say avoid it, while others say pulling a car door shut carries more force. Dry fairways can be jarring though - especially when you don't know how to take a divot (like me!). I believe autos are more at risk than manual winds.

Phil Mickelson always wears a Cellini when he plays, but a manual rather than automatic. But Bubba Watson wears a £500k Richard Mille when playing!!

Basically I think it's probably ok and I always wear a watch when playing, usually an auto. But if you don't want to take the risk but still want to wear a watch then a quartz is the compromise.
I wonder how many of the top pro golfers actually buy the watches they wear so if it gets damaged it'd probably be replaced by their sponsor.
Personally I always take my watch off just before going to the first tee as I was told some time ago that, amongst other things, the swing movement causes the bracelet/strap to stretch, more so with the number of shots I take to get around!. :D
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

magicman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:16 pm am I being too precious, removing the Lympstone ?

Regards Steve
I'd say yes. I was in my loft on Friday laying bait boxes and rat traps. The week before I was at go ape, on mountain bike trails, putting up shelves and bathing the kids.

I know I was wearing a mixture of my c65 bronze sh21, my explorer and my g-shock for all of the above. The only time I gave my watch a 2nd thought was when I had the drill out because it's brushless and magnetism was a concern.

We're all different but the day I start thinking about the watch on my wrist like it's an egg in my pocket is the day put them all away and just wear a G-shock all the time. There's no point if I can't wear and enjoy for worrying about them.
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

must be really stressful walking around the course for a few hours, don't know how the watches manage it :D
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Bungle-ator wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:11 pm
We're all different but the day I start thinking about the watch on my wrist like it's an egg in my pocket is the day put them all away and just wear a G-shock all the time. There's no point if I can't wear and enjoy for worrying about them.
+1 to this. My watches have the dings and dents to prove it, and I love them for it.

I do take my watch off to golf, but for another reason; balance. Having extra weight on one wrist throws my shot off. I’m still terrible either way, but I convince myself I’m doing all I can to get that double bogey instead of triple :lol:
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Personally wear my G-Shock or cheap quartz. With my tour level swing speed (if only) I just think it's not worth the risk. Don't think it'd be a problem but don't lose anything by being cautious.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Short answer: yes, but there is a tiny risk of shock damage. Also, any impact affecting the balance will affect accuracy - nature of the beast.

OTOH a pocket watch would be quite safe and go well with the natty clothes..... :lol:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

If I were to wear a watch golfing it would be a quartz (IMO)
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

I would avoid wearing an automatic movement watch while playing golf. Just too much stuff at risk of damage. I would think a manual wind or quartz would be fine. I tend to wear my G-Shock when playing any sports (in my case tennis).
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Omega seems to think it is okay: Golf Collection
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Thanks for all your replies, I'm now decided, I removed it today, never considered the out of balance argument, but I've improved massively this year, since ditching the Garmin. So maybe that's what was throwing me off.
Maybe I should get the titanium C63 Elite, to keep the weight down.

I have got a Rotary Elite Quartz I could wear, that's already bashed up from work.
But no bezel, for shot tracking.

I think I'm going to go watchless, also good to avoid the wrist tan line.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I tend just to wear my watches for whatever activity I'm doing, cycling today wearing the Panerai.

I normally wear my Omega SMP 300 whilst playing golf as it has a rubber strap and feels a sporty watch. I've never noticed any issues with accuracy despite my often dodgy divot gouging golf shots. I did think the watch was shockproof and just checked the Omega website and reassuringly it says for the SMP:

SHOCK-RESISTANCE
A selection of test watches face shock-resistance examinations that are equivalent to 5,000 g (1 g is equal to the force of gravity at the Earth's surface) to ensure our complex mechanical mechanisms are also extraordinarily robust. Not just for everyday use but for active sports such as golf and sailing.

I'm sure other watches must also have some form of shock proofing and also be absolutely fine to play golf.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

magicman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:47 pm Thanks for all your replies, I'm now decided, I removed it today, never considered the out of balance argument, but I've improved massively this year, since ditching the Garmin. So maybe that's what was throwing me off.
Maybe I should get the titanium C63 Elite, to keep the weight down.
Don't discount the distraction that the Garmin can bring into the equation. I found that the more sophisticated the golf watch became the more distracting it was during the round (even just entering the score and putts). I went down in functionality to only distance (front middle back) and my game improved. I think I was paying more attention to stats etc during the round instead of being in the moment from shot to shot.

Weight on the wrist never affected my shots one way or the other.

I would say that any large jump in improvement is probably due to practice and a better mental game rather than whether or not you are wearing a watch.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

magicman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:47 pm Maybe I should get the titanium C63 Elite, to keep the weight down.
You've found the WIS answer and why you need another watch :)