Acl1986

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by Acl1986 »

Can’t wait to get one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Case size vs dial size. Which one of these has the largest dial size: 43mm C60 Mk2, 41mm C65 diver, 41mm C65 Super Compressor and C63 Sealander GMT.

I assumed the 43mm C60Mk2 would have the largest but is just a bit smaller at 33mm than the 41mm C65 with a 34mm dial. And here is what surprised me. The 39mm C63 has the same dial size as the 43mm C60 Mk2 at 33mm. The 41mm C65 SC has a very small dial compared to all the others and is 26mm.

So despite its smaller case size, the C63 GMT isn’t actually that small at all when it comes to the dial. Hoping CW will make a 41mm version of the Sealander and just increase the case/bezel size and leave the dial size the same. That would be perfect and please a lot of potential buyers.

Or perhaps we focus too much on case size and this 39mm could be just the right size with a 33mm dial.

MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

A very interesting comparison Frank, Thanks for that.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Thanks for sharing that, Frank. Between the photo and the measurements, it makes for a fantastic illustration of the many variables that impact perceived size.

Any chance you could include some lug-to-lug measurements as a further point of comparison?
Drew
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I usually don't pay much attention to the lug-to-lug measurements as my wrist is 65mm wide. Anything under 55mm is good for me. CW lists these measurements on their website.

This Sealander GMT confused me for the first few days. My mind kept telling me 39mm is too small for my wrist. But it never looked small when I just looked at the dial. And now I really like the more compact case with 20mm lugs and nice size dial.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

nordwulf wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:06 am CW lists these measurements on their website.
Ahhh, right you are. I have to remember that the CWArchive is my friend!
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Wow ... the bracelet versions of the auto and GMT have now gone out to 'end of Oct' pre-order.

Looks like the bracelets are an issue as some strap models are still in stock and the rest are 'end of July'.
Ryan
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:37 pm Wow ... the bracelet versions of the auto and GMT have now gone out to 'end of Oct' pre-order.

Looks like the bracelets are an issue as some strap models are still in stock and the rest are 'end of July'.
That is ridiculous. How there be a launch with such a song and dance and then not have the stuff in place to supply for 5 months! Surely that must be an admin error? If not something of an almighty cock up!
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It's a hard thing to judge how many items you might sell. It's a good problem to have. I would think maybe they have sold many hundreds of watches, if not thousands. One way might be to offer buyers a half price strap now, with the bracelet to follow in due course, when available. I am sure that would create a lot of goodwill.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Tut tut. How appalling. They should know you can only have a waiting list if your name begins with R and ends with X.

A fast run on popular watches? Never heard of such a thing. [-(
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I wonder if the popularity of the bracelet version has caught them by surprise. It does seem so. Perhaps a lot of frustrated Rolex cultists are buying these since they were available. Well, at least people who want a Rolex but are buying this should be used to waiting lists.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

More seriously...
If the waiting time for a Sealander Automatic and GMT on a bracelet have gone to October then several issues have, or may have, occurred.

Forecasting/planning - If the ratio of bracelet to strap orders is very different from what was forecast. Very likely potentially made worse by higher than expected overall demand. Given how quickly the first batches sold out then probably both have occurred.

Unique part - This is a new case size and so they can't swap parts from other lines onto these watches and so have lost stock flexibility

Single source supplier - One supplier only and they can't get parts of equal quality/price from another supplier quickly. I don't work in the watch industry but I imagine sole sourcing for parts like bracelets is common.

Production scheduling and/or supplier problems - Parts like this are most likely made in batches. Getting a new batch into a production schedule can be difficult. If, in this case what might have been a six month supply has been used in a month then moving a batch into a new production slot can be very difficult/costly. Or the supplier themselves may have a problem meaning these parts can't be made quickly.

Shipping - You may not know, but international shipments by sea and air are a real disaster right now. Even being able to book small airshipments means significant lead times. You may not believe this is an issue for small air shipments but, believe me, it is. Availability is very low and prices are sky high. If your shipment is planned well in advance, it ain't going.

Not working in the watch industry I can only speculate but I'll bet that the forecasting (product mix and volume) was done for these watches (likely) in mid-2020. Then demand for specific models was much higher (in 2021) than forecast. As they say in America "This is a nice problem to have." To which the cynical Brits say "But, it's still a problem." Production often isn't flexible for many reasons and the new case size won't have helped. I just hope that CW doesn't lose too many sales over this. And, yes, I'm glad I ordered my C63 Elite on a titanium bracelet within hour 1 on day 1.

I'm sure this won't convince the sceptics or conspiracy theorists but production planning and forecasting is fraught with perils and it isn't quick or easy to fix problems if they occur.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

albionphoto wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:51 pm I wonder if the popularity of the bracelet version has caught them by surprise.
Haven't they read downer's rules?! :)

If C63 bracelets are in scarce supply over the summer we could have a bit of a lively, over-inflated secondary market in them for the next few months. Watch out for scalpers selling them at inflated prices on eBay!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Someone in the CWA group received his Sealander Elite on tide strap so they are shipping now.
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

nordwulf wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:02 pm Someone in the CWA group received his Sealander Elite on tide strap so they are shipping now.
I saw a photograph of the Sealander Elite posted on the CWW group next to a C65 Cranwell. The photograph confirmed my concern, the watch is too small for me. Pity because I like the design.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’