C63 Sealander Collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
5oclockhero
Senior
Senior

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by 5oclockhero »

For the size obsessed this is possibly the definitive guide...

https://timeandtidewatches.com/sex-powe ... ects-life/
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Lochinvar wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:09 pm The new C63 Sealander Collection is certainly one of CW’s better design creations. I am wondering if this collection is intended for the female wrist🤔. I am also wondering if CW intends to inflate the case size to fit a man’s wrist!
Seriously!
FS zenith Chronomaster Original and Bremont Solo or trade for 5 digit Sub.
Cheers now, Paul
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

39mm diameter and 46mm L2L is a bit too small for my 65mm wrist width. Considering returning my C63 GMT as it is just a bit lacking in wrist presence. Especially compared to my other 41-43mm Wards.

41mm with 20mm lug width would be a perfect size for this watch but 42mm would work as well. 36mm would be tiny.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

nordwulf wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:54 pm 36mm would be tiny.
For someone who prefers watches over 36mm. It would be, literally, perfect for someone who wants a version of this in 36mm.

It's really not a difficult concept.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Not that I have one, but isn't 36mm the standard size of the comparable Rolex now. A move to smaller watches just sounds like a short lived fashion trend to me. I can't believe women will go back to the unreadable 24mm tiny watches of yesteryear.
Lochinvar

Post by Lochinvar »

I seemed to have provoked a healthy if peeved debate on the subject of watch case size with reference to the new Sealander being better suited to a smaller wrist size which is apparently now the trend. It was remarked that the new Sealander case size of 39mm wears as large as a 43mm which seems improbable. I have a Breitling Chronometer Premier with a narrow bezel and greater dial surface and short lugs and yet still contrives to look small on my 8:25 inch wrist. I also have 43mm, 44mm and 45mm watches with dial surfaces in proportion to bezel size and lug to lug lengths that wear true to size. My Bell&Ross BR05 Chronograph with Gerald Genta style case and thick bezel has a dial surface perfectly in proportion to bezel width is 42mm and wears like a 44mm. Because the lug to lug length does not add much more to the overall size of the watch, it would wear just as well on a 7.25 inch wrist. If CW are now trending to accommodate the smaller wrist by shrinking the watch case, then I’ll have to consider other watch brands that cater to my tastes. Indubitably, many of CW votaries will vehemently disagree with my opinion on the matter of trending smaller, so be it.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

albionphoto wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:10 pm There are folks with smaller wrists who like bigger watches. There are folks with larger wrists who like smaller watches. I'm in the former camp. But choice is good and style is subjective. There is no right answer despite what people try to say.
It's amazing how this discussion continues to circulate on every watch forum. I think Mark has it right above. Watch size is purely subjective, end of. More than that, there is no right or wrong. It's a bit like saying oil paintings are good but acrylic is wrong or naff. I also do not see where all this information is coming from that there is a drive to return to smaller watches. Yes there are some smaller watches, certainly in the vintage inspired lines, but there are plenty of 41mm+ size watches too. I like bigger watches, 41mm+ and I only have a 7" wrist. If nothing else, my diminishing eyesight makes looking at anything much smaller a bit of a chore.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

A drive to go smaller is probably a marketing thing. They try to persuade us that 36mm watches are the size to have so we all buy them. Then in a few years they can decide we need to go bigger again.

Personally I think I am more likely to buy new colours, materials and finishes than buy different sized watches.

It's a bit like bringing out curved TVs, 3d TVs, and 4k TVs. Just marketing to sell us a better mousetrap. I imagine most of us have a big enough HD flat screen TV, and until that TV goes wrong we have little incentive to replace the TV.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Didn't they say 32" TVs were as big as we needed.
I'm now sitting in front of a 50" that my wife hates as it dominates the room.

I'm all about the comfort now, and my 39mm Tudor is my best fitting watch for comfort on my 7 1/2 inch wrist.
My Lympstone at 42mm fells a bit top heavy, where as my C60 trident MK2 doesn't.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

welshlad wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:39 pm I agree with your first two paragraphs, Mark. But thereafter I think to look at case size is the wrong metric. Of course, that's not a comment specifically aimed at you. I think everyone is too hung up on case size when it doesn't actually indicate how large a watch wears. Dial size is the key.

The 39mm C63 is a fairly large watch. Big dial.

The 40mm C60 is a small watch (much smaller dial and wears smaller as a result).

The 38mm C60 is a VERY small watch, as the dial is tiny, which is probably why it doesn't/didn't sell many.

Other metrics play a part, eg lug to lug, but dial size is the most important. IMHO of course.
That's okay Welshlad... I won't take it personally. :D :D :D (I don't keep a doom book... honest) :thumbup: :thumbup:

There a re lots of metrics that could be used, case diameter, dial size (or some ratio of case to dial) lug tip to lug tip, ratio of lug width to case diameter and so on. Most normal people will, I think, just try it on and see if they like. If we're posting on a watch forum about this then we don't count as normal people. :lol: :lol:

I could try to derive an equation which describes whether a watch is large or small (y = f(x)) but I'm fairly sure life is too short ... And we'd still have to deal with an individual's perception and biases about what is a big watch or not.

Oh, what the heck... Just for a larf

Watch size (y) = a.case diameter + B.dial size + c.(case diameter/dial size) + d.bezel width + e.lug tip to lug tip + f.wrist size + g. wrist shape + h.perception

Now I just need a research grant to pay for the work to determine a,b,c,d,e,f,g and h. Any rich donors out there?
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

5oclockhero wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:46 pm For the size obsessed this is possibly the definitive guide...

https://timeandtidewatches.com/sex-powe ... ects-life/
The table in this article is probably as good as we're going to get even if it does derive from a personal opinion.

“I consider a watch as not too big and not too small when the lug to lug distance is 75 to 95 per cent of your wrist width. More than 100 per cent will make your watch overhang your wrist and look not so great.”

For example with my 17.1cm wrist I am comfortable (i.e., I like) 40 - 44mm with 42.9 - 50 mm lug tip to lug tip. Everyone is different after all and there is no right or wrong here.
Mark
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I think this might be the first 'hands on' review of a C63 Elite, albeit of a pre-production prototype, by Worn and Wound.

https://wornandwound.com/review/review- ... der-elite/

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:02 pm I think this might be the first 'hands on' review of a C63 Elite, albeit of a pre-production prototype, by Worn and Wound.

https://wornandwound.com/review/review- ... der-elite/

Guy
I posted this link in the innovation/gimmick thread. I should have posted it here too. Thanks Guy. I agree that this seems to be the first Elite review and it seems to be of a pre-production watch. They do seem a bit sceptical about the crown.
Mark
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

albionphoto wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm I posted this link in the innovation/gimmick thread. I should have posted it here too. Thanks Guy. I agree that this seems to be the first Elite review and it seems to be of a pre-production watch. They do seem a bit sceptical about the crown.
Oops; sorry Mark. :oops: :oops: I hadn't seen that. :-k :-k

I've not really read it myself yet, just saw that it was out and thought it ought to be linked here. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

No probs, Guy. I'm glad you posted it here. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mark