Discuss Christopher Ward watches
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by rkovars »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:43 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:32 pm That was true of the original Explorer II where the GMT was slaved to the hour hand. Because the GMT hand has the capability to be set independently of the hour hand it is absolutely suitable for monitoring a second time zone or AM/PM as the user desires.
Correct, though very marginally less convenient. When I had a C60 GMT I took it to the East European Time Zone (GMT/BST +2) on a number of occasions. While waiting for boarding, I used to set the hands to the time in Greece or Cyprus and the GMT to UK time, so that I had the 4 hour flight to adjust my mind to the new time. The True GMT is a little easier, particularly if you are dodging about over multiple time zones.
Completely agree that there is added functionality with the rotating bezel. Adds the ability to monitor 3 time zones on the models with a settable GMT which is nice. I set the GMT hand to GMT using the dial. The hands are local time. Then the bezel can be set to the third time zone. I was merely pointing out that the modern watches with a fixed bezel are more useful than the classic ones and are no longer just AM/PM.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
WarrenJabali

Post by WarrenJabali »

Haha no affiliation with Sinn, I just happen to be a very big fan of the Sinn 104, 105 and U50.

Also I didn’t know anything about CW other than the logo at 9 until I saw the Sealander line. Now I am a huge fan and have read and watched videos continuously in the past week.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:54 pm
WarrenJabali wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:50 pm Have you considered the Sinn 104...
Welcome to the forum. Please tell me you don’t work for Sinn, or is it just a favourite brand? :D
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^We are cool with that.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

I am catching up on this thread. I am intrigued by the Elite, but what I wanted to say is that I really appreciate that CW includes the lug to lug measurement for their watches. It amazes me that so few brands do this!

Also totally agree that the name at 12 is SO MUCH better!!
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
KornSaksakorn
Senior
Senior

Post by KornSaksakorn »

Appreciative thanks. Can't wait mine any longer. CW despatched yesterday.
AlphaLimaGolf wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:19 pm Black GMT has just arrived too, I think I may even prefer it more than the auto. Crystal is slightly smaller (by about a mm), but to be expected with the GMT bezel. Although, it looks slightly large than the auto, which I expect is due to the difference in dial colours.

Anyway, really liking them both, CW have hit a home run here I reckon. Pics below.
Korn Saksakorn S.
Pacesetter
Junior
Junior

Post by Pacesetter »

I've been away from the forum for a little while having moved on both my CW watches but have been drawn back by the Sealander.
I'm particularly interested in the Elite with the titanium bracelet. With the COSC movement, nice sizing, recessed crown etc, providing the bracelet and quality is as good as previous CW this could well be an ideal "daily" watch as part of my collection.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Tim
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

^^^ If I had any doubts about the white, that video put them to rest! Beautiful! Time to start grooming the wife for a purchase
Drew
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:11 pm ^^^ If I had any doubts about the white, that video put them to rest! Beautiful! Time to start grooming the wife for a purchase
Same... I loved the white when I first saw it, but then have been hovering between this and the Elite... having seen this video, it just confirms that I need a white dial, and as I work daily with a team in Canada, having GMT is actually useful (I already have the C60 Elite GMT).

The only reservations I have are the 39mm size and this not being chronometer spec... I'm sure it will keep great time, but all my daily wear watches are chronometers and every one of them maintains less then +2 secs/day... however this isn't a dealbreaker, as none of my others are any worse than +10 secs/day.

Given both are pre-order for early June, I'll give it another week and make the decision, but the C63 GMT is certainly favourite :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Botsy
Junior
Junior

Post by Botsy »

The gmt is a very nice watch but for me the proportions are a little off. I just feel the bezel should be a bit broader with more bold engravings more in line with the watch it is blatantly copying.
AlphaLimaGolf
Junior
Junior

Post by AlphaLimaGolf »

Botsy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 am The gmt is a very nice watch but for me the proportions are a little off. I just feel the bezel should be a bit broader with more bold engravings more in line with the watch it is blatantly copying.
To me (after having the watch on wrist for a couple of days now), the proportions are spot on. This watch fixes the 2 main issues I always had with the Explorer 2; cyclops (plus date position) and the overly large bezel and bold bezel numerals, which to me always drew your focus away from the dial. Being 3mm smaller, the Sealander GMT needs a smaller bezel, otherwise it would just dominate it. The GMT is the secondary function of the watch, and therefore should be treated as so when it comes to the design (just my opinion of course).

I actually think this watch closer resembles the Grand Seiko SBGN003, rather than the Rolex anyway. Which for me, is no bad thing!
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:11 pm ^^^ If I had any doubts about the white, that video put them to rest! Beautiful! Time to start grooming the wife for a purchase
i wanted to add, that while that video is beautiful, there are a TON of lighting effects in play that really alter the watch's appearance. i watched the behind the scenes video, and he uses white styrofoam so that the steel of the bezel and whiteness of the dial are reflected, making it appear more bold. you notice that in all the actual wrist shots, the steel bezel is a bit darker and the white isn't as brilliant. still a beautiful watch tho
kidevil
CW-watches: 2

Post by kidevil »

Botsy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 am The gmt is a very nice watch but for me the proportions are a little off. I just feel the bezel should be a bit broader with more bold engravings more in line with the watch it is blatantly copying.
I feel the same. The dial looks too big in proportion the more I look at the photos.
Heboil
CW-watches: 1

Post by Heboil »

Am I seeing things, or is the Elite not symmetrical? The bezel near the crown looks a little narrower than the bezel on the 9 side. This just looks "off" to me. If it looked like a perfect circle, it would be a big improvement in my eyes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Heboil wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm Am I seeing things, or is the Elite not symmetrical? The bezel near the crown looks a little narrower than the bezel on the 9 side. This just looks "off" to me. If it looked like a perfect circle, it would be a big improvement in my eyes.
It's just a trick of the light / optical illusion from the rendered images. I'm sure it will look completely symmetrical once we see more real world photos.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr