C63 Sealander Collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by sproughton »

Lochinvar wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:09 pm The new C63 Sealander Collection is certainly one of CW’s better design creations. I am wondering if this collection is intended for the female wrist🤔. I am also wondering if CW intends to inflate the case size to fit a man’s wrist!
I think they're intended for people who like decent watches and don't feel the need to strap a dinner plate to their wrist :yawn:
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I believe Mike said they'd be releasing one for real men after the ladies and lesser men had been given chance to nab the current releases :thumbup:
Ryan
hucifwr

Post by hucifwr »

Lochinvar wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:09 pm The new C63 Sealander Collection is certainly one of CW’s better design creations. I am wondering if this collection is intended for the female wrist🤔. I am also wondering if CW intends to inflate the case size to fit a man’s wrist!
This you?

Lochinvar

Post by Lochinvar »

On my wrist that outsized watch on your wrist would look balanced and in perfect proportion 👌
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then I can’t wait till CW releases a 36mm version, clearly intended for toddlers and infants. And me I guess :-k
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Elvis, wore a sub 36mm watch in "Fun in Acapulco"
He didn't need glasses to see it, just a super expanding bracelet.
Screenshot_20210520-160516.png
Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:23 pm I believe Mike said they'd be releasing one for real men after the ladies and lesser men had been given chance to nab the current releases :thumbup:
:lol: :clap:
Lochinvar

Post by Lochinvar »

Joking apart small faced watches are not for me, with ateliers moving in the direction towards shrinking dials of the past. At 42mm case size would I think be the ideal size that would suit most (men's) wrists. As stated earlier I think this new collection is one of CW's better designs ( very few of their watch designs appeal to me), however, perhaps CW should give consideration to the merit of looking at the 42mm case size. Other more established manufactures produce watches in this size and they work well.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

ajax87 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:45 pm ^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then I can’t wait till CW releases a 36mm version, clearly intended for toddlers and infants. And me I guess :-k
And people like me - of discerning class. Someone without size anxiety, prepared to wear such a size with an average size appendage of about 6.75-7.0”. :)

Brings to mind a former esteemed member of this forum. IIRC he had an 8.0-8.25” wrist and tended towards watches of 36mm-40mm.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Don't forget that it's been shown here and in other threads that the new 39mm C63 models wear as large as a 43mm C60, due to the larger dial sizes. So they should be fine for anyone with a wrist upto about 8.5" IMHO.

A 42mm C63 would wear monstrously large, just like the original 43mm C65 did. It's a pretty niche market for wrist sizes big enough to carry off such watches, so I wouldn't hold your breath for CW to create one. I think CW have acknowledged that they've learned from that experience.

I have a 7.25" wrist and I think it will be touch and go whether the 39mm C63 will be too large for me. I have one on order so we will see in due course. A 36mm version would be perfect, like my Explorer, but I'll have to wait longer (possibly forever) for that.

It's interesting that I haven't seen one C63 image so far where I've thought it looked too small for the owner's wrist. But I have seen plenty (not just on the forum) where I've thought it's verging on the "too large" side.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Lochinvar wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:09 pm I am wondering if this collection is intended for the female wrist🤔. I am also wondering if CW intends to inflate the case size to fit a man’s wrist!
Something of a sweeping generalisation there! These are 39 and 40 mm watches.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

Interesting video of Mike France knocking around on You Tube talking about the Sealander collection and how Rolex have started what is inevitably going to become the trend for smaller watches with the new 39mm? Explorer? Looks like the days of 42mm+ may be coming to an end.
PHIL
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

There are folks with smaller wrists who like bigger watches. There are folks with larger wrists who like smaller watches. I'm in the former camp. But choice is good and style is subjective. There is no right answer despite what people try to say.

One of the reasons for the move to smaller watches is growth in Asia where wrist sizes tend to be smaller. Asia is now the world's growth engine so watch sizes are likely to go the way that the Asian market prefers. what will be interesting to see is whether this trend to smaller watches for Asia pulls all watch sizes down with it. I think it probably will. The "social media watch community" has been bleating about smaller watches for a long time and their wishes will probably come true sooner rather than later.

Will this make 42+mm watches extinct? I doubt it but choice may be more limited. CW don't sell many watches in China due to a lack of a retail presence so the future of the 42mm watch will depend upon their sales data. As I recall the 40mm pretty much killed the 38mm C60 so it will be interesting to see what happens in the future. For the next five years I'm not worried about getting a CW in a size greater than 40mm.

If my choice is restricted to < 40mm then my watch buying habit will cool considerably. For which my wife and bank balance will both be happy even if I'm not.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ That’s a good analysis, Mark. What I was objecting to in my comment above was the unnecessary gender stereotyping. I thought we had grown out of that.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I agree with your first two paragraphs, Mark. But thereafter I think to look at case size is the wrong metric. Of course, that's not a comment specifically aimed at you. I think everyone is too hung up on case size when it doesn't actually indicate how large a watch wears. Dial size is the key.

The 39mm C63 is a fairly large watch. Big dial.

The 40mm C60 is a small watch (much smaller dial and wears smaller as a result).

The 38mm C60 is a VERY small watch, as the dial is tiny, which is probably why it doesn't/didn't sell many.

Other metrics play a part, eg lug to lug, but dial size is the most important. IMHO of course.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr